How do I go it alone?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do I go it alone?

Postby squeezy102 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:15 am

My buddy recently quit, so now I'm playing by myself.

I was just recently murdered, and am in the process of building my character back up. I was unable to recover my body, as whoever broke into our base took it with them. I also don't think I'd be successful in a PVP endeavor. Just not really that kind of player.

I've gone around and fixed the mistakes that led me here, there are now visitor gates on all of our doors, and exiting our mine hole. I've also created a key alt and a claim alt. So my keys are inaccessible. (At least as inaccessible as I'm capable of making them, given my current knowledge of the game)

So what do I do now?

I'm not interested in making multiple characters and running alts, that kind of playstyle is overwhelming to me and this game just isn't that serious for me.

So with my one, lone character - do I just develop all of my skills evenly? Develop all of my stats evenly?

What are some strategies I can use to keep my hunger at a decent level, given that I'm going to be doing all of the manual labor around my base, all of the farming, all of the mining, all of the hunting etc. by myself?

What are some strategies you've used to keep all the things that need to be done organized and prioritized, without becoming daunting?

Looking for any advice, any previous experience being a lone player.
squeezy102

Re: How do I go it alone?

Postby BruThoL » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:47 pm

For your visitor gates, you want to add a roundpole fence in your village.
People passing the visitor gates won't be able to open the fence. That's your security. Then you don't need keys at all. You probably have seen that in other places.

As for multi-chars it's not really needed, you can have multiple outfits, which you can store in wardrobes, check :
- https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Gilding
- https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Tables/G ... _Equipment

As for character development, the biggest stat you have is what define the size of the FEP bar you have to complete to get a stat to level up.
So you definitely want to up the stats you'll use evenly.

For the hunger I'd recommend going for smoked sausages mainly. And for the very hard labour (like levelling, or chopping big amounts of trees), use a dedicated and disposable alt, when it can't work anymore, drown him, create another, inherit, and repeat.

Then about all the things needing to be done, I'd certainly prioritize a few of them that are very rewarding. Like with some farming and chickens you will have food and easter eggs / feather trinkets, which are decent curios for little work. Trinkets can also be used as gildings to better your farming...

Hope this helps, good luck to you!
BruThoL

Postby gravesmerch » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:33 pm

I suspect with energy changes you can even play one char

if your energy bar is not green you can click "Eat" any food and it will be energy only

if the energy is green or if you click feasting table button, then anything will affect your stats

tldr; just click "Eat" when bar is not green and you can stay in one char
gravesmerch

Postby Reiber » Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:04 pm

playing as an hermit is compleatly doable, even without alts, just take it slow, you wont be able to compete with big villages, and you wherent able to do that before anyway,
just farm and develop your character, atleast up to the level of the recources you use,

try to learn about the fep system, and which curios you want to study over the long term,
you can actually learn an lot about how this game wants you to play it by doing everything yourself once,
and if you come to understand the fep and learning points system, it is possible to keep up with bigboy village characters, and even wannabee titans up to whale stage.
you still get decked in an direct confrontation, due to quality, experience, and them calling for reenforcements, but you might be able to surprise some low end bully with your sheer constitution ,

ultimately if you are still interested in the game, try to become self sufficent, get in contact with villages in your neigbourhood, and start building relationships, and trade an little, maybe next world you at least have well meaning people that you can settle close to for safety or even join up in an village,
Reiber

Postby BruThoL » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:07 pm

Reiber wrote:get in contact with villages in your neigbourhood, and start building relationships

This is gold advice. Meet people around and build a community if it doesn't already exist.
Warn each other of bandits, trade and help each others. Share common projects like a port, or a mine... and remove the "alone" concept from the equation.
BruThoL

Postby cb111 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:22 pm

I know you've said you don't want to use alts, but you should at the very least consider making a carpentry alt. It will save you a lot of lp in the long term for little up front investment
cb111

Postby Ø » Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:49 pm

If you have reason to fear your neighbors consider moving. I've met a lot of neighbors and traded everything from horses and crops to wax and skill parchments. Don't be afraid to say hi to your neighbors if they're in their palisades. If they don't come out and from their palisades there is, likely, no reason to run if they're talking to you.

You can learn where Thingwalls are, if there are aggro players/villages nearby, local resource locations, help with Credo Quests, trading, and sometimes just general chit-chat while meeting your neighbors.

If I see a new or unfamiliar claim I will walk right up to it to see if the hearthfires are green or dim and CTRL+RClick the claim to memorize in case I meet the owner later on. Every time someone has been home they have been courteous to me. There was one person who straight up gave me 40 wine glance simply because I asked about how to get copper. That boosted my play as a solo player by weeks if not months. (am noob dont judge)

If you have questions and can ask neighbors in game they might offer you free stuff simply to be nice.

Also, I'm the type that was unable to save a noob from getting knocked out by a bat, but when they got up I give them my spare bat wing cape so they don't get knocked again. These are the kind of neighbors your want and you won't know without talking to them and being kind and courteous as well.

All that said, it doesn't mean don't be cautious and weary of people. As you already know, people can be cruel in this game as well. I've been lucky to not have those kinds of run-ins; it doesn't mean my heart doesn't race when I see a player nearby, though.
Ø

Postby The_Blode » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:06 pm

I've nearly always gone it alone, and never played with alts or botting.
I don't worry too much about what I'm not doing or don't have. I try to enjoy what I am doing and find more fun things to do. This is largely at the mercy of the players around me, but I've been fortunate in that aspect for many a world.

That said, I don't see what 75% of the game has to offer. I've never made more than a couple silk cloth. I had one world (13 or 14) where the cave by my place had metal easily accessible, as well as boulders scattered nearby. I've seen 4 ore this world so far total and I either don't understand prospecting or am being fucked over by it (based on a bugs thread on this, I think I'm being fucked over). So yeah, it's not a very productive way to play. The devs add stuff far faster than I can experience it. Built my first mound bed yesterday, for example.

Not really a point or an assertion to my post, just something to consider, i guess.
The_Blode

Postby Saxony4 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:43 pm

Biggest piece of advice I can give for playing solo is to learn by experience and trial and error, learn how the game works and how you want to play over the course of several worlds.

squeezy102 wrote:So with my one, lone character - do I just develop all of my skills evenly? Develop all of my stats evenly?

What are some strategies I can use to keep my hunger at a decent level, given that I'm going to be doing all of the manual labor around my base, all of the farming, all of the mining, all of the hunting etc. by myself?

What are some strategies you've used to keep all the things that need to be done organized and prioritized, without becoming daunting?

I personally don't pay attention to the hunger/satiety system at all actually (my food efficacy has been at 130%-143% since like the first week) and do all manual labor, building, hunting, and mining on one character. I would recommend you not be wasteful of things like chopped down trees or materials that may be lower quality than you might want. If you're going to spend the energy cutting down 50 trees you better be using all that wood for something at some point.

When it comes to stats I would recommend you focus on what's more important in the short term than distributing learning points to skills evenly. So for example when you're starting out you should be focusing on exploration and survival first so you can find forageables to help you progress. Then when you start to become established you can think about putting points into things like carpentry and masonry and whatnot as needed for the tasks at hand.

The_Blode wrote:I've seen 4 ore this world so far total and I either don't understand prospecting or am being fucked over by it (based on a bugs thread on this, I think I'm being fucked over). So yeah, it's not a very productive way to play. The devs add stuff far faster than I can experience it. Built my first mound bed yesterday, for example.

Not knowing what you're doing isn't a bug, you're just doing things wrong, like putting a minehole directly over an ore vein for example (wasting ore). Prospecting works just fine if you actually understand it.

The_Blode wrote:Built my first mound bed yesterday, for example.

You're wasting the 'life' of your mound bed by building it before it's actually winter. Mound beds have a 3 week life span (unless this was changed at some point and I didn't notice)
loftar wrote:git da mony
Saxony4

Postby azrid » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:26 am

Invest into wardrobes and at least triple gilded full sets for different occasions when playing solo hard mode haven.
azrid

Next

Return to How do I?