Mound bed

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: Mound bed

Postby Hickupp » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:25 pm

Reiber wrote:dont destroy your moundbeds in spring, wait for summer guys.

Kinda to late for this (next winter perhaps), but I do wonder what happens to trees if mound beds are destroyed just before spring.
One potential caveat. Although the seasons have a clear date switch, some stuff actually spans around those date points (like, probably bad example though, snow in early spring or rain in late winter).
Other caveat ... it takes time for the game to switch/update season related stuff(objects) from one season to the next. (like crops going fallow (FIFO processed it seems))
Hickupp

Postby Reiber » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:47 pm

Hickupp wrote:

Kinda to late for this (next winter perhaps), but I do wonder what happens to trees if mound beds are destroyed just before spring.
One potential caveat. Although the seasons have a clear date switch, some stuff actually spans around those date points (like, probably bad example though, snow in early spring or rain in late winter).
Other caveat ... it takes time for the game to switch/update season related stuff(objects) from one season to the next. (like crops going fallow (FIFO processed it seems))

i would guess the same as in spring, they return to there no leaves/winter form, then start ticking intoo spring once that rolls around,
some of my trees havent updated(still in fall stage) some regressed to winter stage, some already have fresh leaves(spring) and the trees that just have grown have green leaves and fruit(summer)

so i currently have 4 different seasons of trees on my plot-
Reiber

Postby Hickupp » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:31 am

Hickupp wrote:I do wonder what happens to trees if mound beds are destroyed just before spring

Sapling trees at least switched from autumn mode to winter mode. Assuming the same for fully grown trees (and bushes ofc).
(+one of those winter-tree saplings already went into (assuming) spring mode)

+Trees & Bushes covered by second mound bed removed in spring(day 1) ... also switched from autumn to winter mode.

+Also tried adding & removing(some time later) a new mound bed. But that had no apparent fast effect on the bushes & trees.

"The bed lasts for about three RL weeks"
Dev's probably intended the bed's to be used to span Autumn+Winter+Spring seasons (22 Rt days)
... which might explains the bed troubles if not used that way. (Fact: Users, now a days, are by far the cheapest way to find potential bugs.)
Hickupp

Postby Ø » Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:41 pm

I am of the opinion that you should be using mound beds 100% of the time.

For consumables that you will be using in bulk that are not max quality from your pots you should be using mound beds for bulk and pots to up the quality.
If the quality is already maxed then mound beds should be used until you get a bad roll and the quality drops.

Stop wasting your precious soil or worse your compost on bulk consumables.

With 7 mound beds it takes only 3 days to make 400-500 q112 Heartsease/Dandelions. You can use them on top of fields and still plant anything that does not require a trellis.

Maybe I'm delusional, but it seems that the time to grow takes longer after each use. Not sure if that's actually happening or if I'm just being impatient.

My point is:
If you aren't (ab)using mound beds you are missing out and using more resources than necessary.

Edit:
Also, thank you for the info on seasonal changes and interactions!
Ø

Postby Stoneface » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:40 pm

As far as I have learned in testing, the quality of the mound bed mats, the mulch or the straw are irrelevant, as is the water used to enable herb planting. You get same quality as you put in initially, but the output quantity does seem to be a little variable.

I love that we can multiply snapdragons, chantrelles, strawberries, blueberries, and all that good stuff in these. I hadn't been a farmer in a long time and these have really added a nice steady trickle to my village's forage. Chives are nice for a small field of like 50 beds though too. I have way too much mulch though, so I don't know if most other people have tens of thousands of mulch laying around lol.
Stoneface

Postby Kamekono » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:14 pm

Stoneface wrote:As far as I have learned in testing, the quality of the mound bed mats, the mulch or the straw are irrelevant, as is the water used to enable herb planting. You get same quality as you put in initially, but the output quantity does seem to be a little variable.

I now quality doesn't increase, did you happen to test if it goes down if materials are lower than the herb?
Kamekono

Postby Ø » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:33 am

Kamekono wrote:
Stoneface wrote:As far as I have learned in testing, the quality of the mound bed mats, the mulch or the straw are irrelevant, as is the water used to enable herb planting. You get same quality as you put in initially, but the output quantity does seem to be a little variable.

I now quality doesn't increase, did you happen to test if it goes down if materials are lower than the herb?

Mound beds have no quality. The items used to build them do not matter and have no impact on what is grown. Water quality makes no difference either.

Mound beds can, at random, reduce the quality of the item grown(has nothing to do with mound bed quality since it does not exist). However, it is rare. They do not raise the quality in any way.
Ø

Previous

Return to How do I?