How to replace a resource image in the default client?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How to replace a resource image in the default client?

Postby 8guacamole » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:21 pm

Hello. :D I started writing a question, but I end up writing an answer.

Q: How do I convince the game (the default client) to use a modified resource file?
In praticular I would like to make the window background opaque.

A: Use the resource modification tool to edit the resource inside (in my case) "builtin-res.jar".
Instructions:
    1. locate the jar file with the resource you want to modify: in my case the source code indicated "gfx/hud/wnd/lg/bg" (code naming "style" was the main obstacle) and I found it in "builtin-res.jar" in the main game folder
    2. open the resource jar with something like 7-zip, extract (copy) the resource file somewhere, in my case the file was "bg.res"
    3. using resouce modification tool (topic 57708 on this forum) modify the .res file by exporting the associated image, changing it in a tool like GIMP (I made the image opaque), importing the image back to the resource file and overwriting the resource file
    4. put the modified resource file ("bg.res") back in the resource jar file ("builtin-res.jar"), replacing the original resource file
    5. to bypass SHA digest related errors simply remove the "HAVEN.SF" and "HAVEN.DSA" from the "META-INF\" directory inside the jar resource file (again using something like 7-zip).

Hope it does not clutter the forum, as it might be useless for most people. :|
8guacamole

Return to How do I?