2023 Hunger/FEp/Energy for dummies (me)

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

Re: 2023 Hunger/FEp/Energy for dummies (me)

Postby Mortis123 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:57 am

I read this thread and still I don't know what is `satiety` for... Probably I'm a dumbass or smth but can you explain this to me in very simple words?

When I hover over "Hunger Level" bar it says two things:

1) Food efficacy is 275% - this shows the fep point multiplier which drops every time I eat something (now it's like 2,75x). One question about that is - what's the best place to sit for a low stat, medium stat and high stat player? I've heard that food efficacy is recovering faster at lower levels (like from 100% to 200%) and slower at higher levels (like from 200% to 300%).

2) Satiety is 39,4% - this is the most confusing thing for me right now. How it's different from "Food Satiations" from the top? I know that probably this is some kind of "general" satiety and the top one are individual ones to prevent from eating the same meal over and over again but how it's affecting the eating mechanic? It lowers my feps by a 39,4%? It stacks with food satiations? It's calculated at the end? Things like that.

3) How actually salt works now? I remember it used to increase our "Food efficacy" instantly depends on the quality. Now the tooltip says something about the time but it's even more confusing. I tried to eat a crystal and it reduces my general "Satiety" by a little and it felt almost useless.

I've tried to search the wiki to find some answers but many things are outdated and not clear, I hope I can find those answers here :D

Take care Hearthlings!
Mortis123

Postby vatas » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:29 am

The UI/tooltips are utter crap.

"Satiations" are debuffs specific to each individual food item, and they recover within few IRL days at most.

"Satiety" is the percentage of "Hunger" bar filled, because naming the bar "Hunger", when it has no connection to starvation, wasn't confusing enough. It recovers much slower and is important thing to manage when raising stats with any degree of seriousness.

Task of managing "Hunger" has been made much better with new w15 change, unironically one of the best updates this game has ever had for new and old player alike, but it isn't mentioned anywhere in the UI (possibly because it was a last-minute addition to the World Reset patch.)

We'll be trying a tweak to the food mechanic to make it easier to recover energy without ruining hunger. The changes are thus:

New characters now start at full (10000%) energy.
If energy is below Healing (8000%) when eating, the only effect of eating is to gain energy. FEPs, hunger, satiations &c are only affected when eating while Healing.
The "hard-labor cap" (for digging and mining) has been set to 2500% energy instead of the current 5000%.

Ozzy123 wrote:
You could also make it so if you eat stuff off the table you still get feps etc even if you're under 8k energy

Right, I thought of that but promptly forgot it. Thanks for reminding me!
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby vatas » Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:00 pm

Mortis123 wrote:1) Food efficacy is 275% - this shows the fep point multiplier which drops every time I eat something (now it's like 2,75x). One question about that is - what's the best place to sit for a low stat, medium stat and high stat player? I've heard that food efficacy is recovering faster at lower levels (like from 100% to 200%) and slower at higher levels (like from 200% to 300%).

Hunger bar used to be separated into multiple different bars (300%, 200%, 100%, 50%, and 25% efficiency IIRC.) This created a meta where people only ever stayed on the 300% bar and had to use every possible trick to conserve energy since you couldn't gain it without also gaining hungers (unless maybe with alcohol drinks and tea, but those tend to require lot of effort.)
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Previous

Return to How do I?