How do i hunt and fight ?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

How do i hunt and fight ?

Postby Broccolo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:03 am

Thats what i know:

every fightable stuff in this game have basically 4 differente defenses : green, yellow, blue and red.

When you use a combat move you open a certain defense color. the more you open that defense and hit that color, the more damage the foe will takes.

Basic example. if i keep using "Punch" (green attak) and open the green defense up to 40 and doing 10 damage, if i suddenly use "Left Hook" (blue attak) i wont do damage, but just start opening the foe blue defense.

so far, this basic knowledge serves me well. i can easly kill boar, wolverine, foxes and bats. But i still amiss a lot of other stuff...

why there are 10 slots when i can only use 5?

i can learn the same moves multiple times and somehow it get better...but how exactly?

i tried to kill a bear...lukly for me he aggor my horse or i will be dead by now, i keep hitting his armor over and over again up to 3000 damage...and only 3 real damage passes though.. how that work? Boar got armor, but after a while it stop working and they took damage...i though i need to "crack" they armor like they did to me but obviously i was wrong

Higher stat are of course better, more Strenght= more damage, better equipement = easier combat, More agility = faster Cd for me and slower cd for the enemy.... But how do i fight ...a pack of wolves?, how do i kill a moose in melee? or a bear? Can i kill alynx? what about an ant dungeon ?

my strategy so far consist in "spamming a move to open a defense"(like uppercut) and than "spamming a move to do damage" (like Quick barrage). and use "Artfull dodge" plus another defense(depending on the foe) to keep my self alive
I like to use Shields, so Shield Up stance is my main choice, but a japanese guy on youtube suggest me to use oak stance if i'm using a bow... so maybe there are more situation im not aware of (except chin up...that suck, and everybody on the web so far agreed with me on that)

I see many ppl fight on youtube, and they all use "take aim" to unleashing a devastating blow after a while. Or suggesting to use a spear cause you can poke animal from water.

i would like to move to bigger target...and possible players (i dont want to hunt them, i want to know how defende myself if getting hunted...whitch happen a couple of times...)

Can someone REALLY into combatt try to help me here? suggestions, tips, other stuff that i miss or understand it wrong? (dont just link me to the wiki page pls)
Broccolo

Re: How do i hunt and fight ?

Postby Halbertz » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:04 am

why there are 10 slots when i can only use 5?

Idk about default client but I guess other 5 are binded to shift+number or smth.
i can learn the same moves multiple times and somehow it get better...but how exactly?

It increases μ of the move. It explained in the combat moves windows, check it out. Basically more points = more opening or faster cd depends on move
i tried to kill a bear...lukly for me he aggor my horse or i will be dead by now, i keep hitting his armor over and over again up to 3000 damage...and only 3 real damage passes though.. how that work? Boar got armor, but after a while it stop working and they took damage...i though i need to "crack" they armor like they did to me but obviously i was wrong

Animals got fixed armor value that not affected by armor penetration stat of the weapon. In your case you were doing less than bear armor value per hit. Damage depends on target openings, your str and weapon damage.
But how do i fight ...a pack of wolves?

Solo you can cheese them through cliff. If you have a friend or two, you can SoS (strom of the swords) + PtB (punch them both) whole pack. They aren't that scary if you have shield+sword, decent melee stat and armor.
how do i kill a moose in melee? or a bear?

You can cheese them from water. Or just beat them fair and square but you need more stats and better equipment. For example I can one shot moose with my char no problem (1000 str, 200smth battleaxe).
Can i kill alynx?

Yes it's just faster (in both agi and movement speed) boar.
what about an ant dungeon ?

You can clear it with friend after 50+ stats and bronze armor+sword. For solo you probably need better stats and it will be annoying.
my strategy so far consist in "spamming a move to open a defense"(like uppercut) and than "spamming a move to do damage" (like Quick barrage). and use "Artfull dodge" plus another defense(depending on the foe) to keep my self alive

Yeah, it works. But if cheese through cliff or from water you dont need defences, so whole hunting process will be faster until certain point.
but a japanese guy on youtube suggest me to use oak stance if i'm using a bow.

It's just defensive stance that not requires shield and drawback of it not affecting bows.
o maybe there are more situation im not aware of (except chin up...that suck, and everybody on the web so far agreed with me on that)

So there not like a lot about stances:
Chin Up - useless.
To Arms - bad but it's your only option if you are full melee and using battleaxe.
Oak stance - defensive stance for unarmed based characters. Your ability to make opening on opponent is restricted to 25% of your usual rate. Ranged weapons don't use openings system, so it's viable choice for archer.
Death or Glory - useless in most cases, also costs a lot.
Shield Up - Heaviest stance available. Restricts you to 1h weapon tho.
Parry - Bad for pve in most cases, pvp stance for melee based characters that are using swords (both 2h and 1h).
Bloodlust - really good stance for unarmed users. Like parry it increases (not directly) you ability to make openings on opponent. Great in both pvp and could be used in pve after hitting decent stat level.
Combat Meditation - decrease cooldown on your next move to almost zero on full charge. Attack moves will deal 75% less openings in this stance. Used in pvp to combo Opportunity knocks (reduction doesn't work on this one and you could find out why by reading description) and Cleave in quick succession.
"take aim" to unleashing a devastating blow after a while

Cleave, OppKnock and main red opening source - KITO are using initiative points that Take Aim provides. Same with SoS meta - SoS costs 2 IP.
i would like to move to bigger target...and possible players

80% of pvp in this game based on movement. So I suggest you to start with training your ability to chase and run away from others.
Try to run several minutes on max available for this biome (3 or 4) speed without ever dropping to lower one. It requires you to understand when you need to drink and when you shouldn't do it (you are losing speed while in drinking animation). Get used to speedbuffs - occasional speedbuff makes difference between life and death. Train you ability to click on critters to get speed boost. They removed it but can rollback changes idk To get away from people you need to run as straight as possible, to catch someone you need to always be on intercept vector, and if not, press attack move to get 1% speed boost. Practice not bumping in objects like trees.
After all of this you can probably quick barrage to death 70% of the player base and run away from 28% remaining.
Halbertz

Postby Broccolo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:54 pm

ok, this explain some, thnak you, but i still do have more questions if you dont mind.

how do i cheese using cliff? so far everytime im not in a direct line (even a side tree sometimes cause trouble) the game just tell me "your path was blocked", and if i try to hit using a bow and i am slightly not on the same level of the foe, the attak will allways miss( i was told is authomathic, i need to be able to get hit if i want my attack to score in return. so far, this information was true)

i am playng solo so i'd like to know what moves ant tattics i need to use when surrounded .
lets say the mountain goats all aggro me at the same times, or that i want to kill a cave larva...louse? the neutral bugs in caves. last world i found one kilometers away from his pack, i aggro him and they all aggro me anyway and run all the way to me..surrounded me, blocking me and beat me to the ground.
Broccolo

Postby abt79 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:02 pm

The way to survive getting body blocked is to not get body blocked. The most important skill in combat is movement and if a large group of anything aggros you then you should be trying to reach safety (cave exit/minehole ladder/cliff/deep water) running or sprinting if necessary.

As for cliff cheesing, the best way is to aggro the animal and then climb up/down the cliff so it can’t reach you. Once you’re “safe” hitting an attack key should allow you to get in range for a hit; may require some positioning as cliffs have weird hitboxes.

It is generally easier to cheese animals, whether with archery or close ranged melee/unarmed attacks, from a boat than from a cliff. Find a large swath of shallow water and fight them from your boat in deeps, retreating to deeper water to reduce as much as you want. Start with a dugout but try to get a rowboat asap since they can more easily outrun foxes/boars/badgers - and store animals you’ve killed. Especially with slower boats you’ll have to be clever about “cornering” the animal in a shallow water peninsula surrounded by deep water so it cannot escape to land when it flees, or try the “peace and reaggro” trick.

Note also that you’ll need a weapon (bows work) to kill animals with any significant armor (boar<deer<cow<etc).
abt79

Postby TheServant » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:15 pm

Check vatas assinature thats all
TheServant

Postby Broccolo » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:47 pm

I know about the boatmtechnique. and i got a snekkja, so it can work, but more often than not i find my target deep in the forest. Thats why i wanted to know how to act against them

the cliff work is there are no way for the animal to work around it, so far, no luck for that either(execpt one times :) )

"not get surrounded" ok is like telling me "the secret to survive is not dying " XD I know that, but i was triyng to learn how to "mass combat" alone against packs. Not large pack, just 3-4 animals

i kinda remember one guy saing you caneasly dispatch of multiple target witha combo...but i cant remember the guy or the combo he was talking about

TheServant wrote:Check vatas assinature thats all

wait, what ?

Edit: how many times i can learn the same moves? so far my maximum was 5.
Broccolo

Postby yym331 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:39 pm

Broccolo wrote:I know about the boatmtechnique. and i got a snekkja, so it can work, but more often than not i find my target deep in the forest. Thats why i wanted to know how to act against them

Well, if you want to hunt inland, using a carriage is the way to go. As long as you don't encounter aggressive players, things should go smoothly, except for Moose encounters :ugeek:
Haven and Hearth Secrets of Hunting and Combat - Archive
https://youtu.be/2HdoAHInheQ
yym331

Return to How do I?