PVP elements: sprucecaps pov or how do i avoid death?

Ask, answer and discuss any and all topics about the hows, whys, wheres and whens of playing Haven & Hearth.

PVP elements: sprucecaps pov or how do i avoid death?

Postby Logimy2 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:31 am

So. I've being enjoying hnh for like ~10 days now.

For this 10 days i've:
• got randomly KO'ed on deep water; RIP main char
• got robbed twice for hides and leather before having any chance to build a palisade
• got my first palisade destroyed before soaking and got myself KO'ed and robbed for everything I've got
• tried to go to the edge of the map jumping 5+ times in whirlpools to avoid any publicity, encountered silent pvp'ers group that wiped me and my new base without saying any words; RIP second time
• tried to find another location, encountered some friendly people that helped me out with ~50QL starter tools
• build my small palisade and shitty house at remote location, far from water, without any other player's bases in ~20 minimaps radius
• got some random dude spotted me near river while I was refiling my barrels with watah and after he KO'ed me and took all my cool tools
• saw my palisade destroyed next day, cupboards are destroyed/stolen, all that was left are two stockpiles of sticks and one stockpile of wooden blocks
• got my char killed after 30 minutes by dude who was camping my hearth fire

Based on this wonderful experience, I have a couple of questions:
1. Is the only way to enjoy this game is to suffer and hope that one day I'll have ~300 stats char to fight back?
2. Is the only way to enjoy this game is joining on world start when there are no pvp-ers with full meta set of armor that are just enjoying themselves while killing random sprucecaps and wiping their bases?
3. Am I just incredibly unlucky?
4. How do I avoid this kind of situations when I can't even soak my palisade before some dude will find me and fill his ego with destroying somebody who can't do anything about it?
5. Will I become the same asshole after i'll develop my char enough?

Thanks for your answers.
Last edited by Logimy2 on Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Logimy2

Re: PVP elements: sprucecaps pov or how do i avoid death?

Postby pagsiu » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:39 am

Logimy2 wrote:So. I've being enjoying hnh for like ~10 days now.

For this 10 days i've:
• got robbed twice for hides and leather before having any chance to build a palisade
• got my first palisade destroyed before soaking and got myself KO'ed and robbed for everything I've got
• tried to go to the edge of the map to avoid any publicity, encountered silent pvp'ers group that wiped me and my new base without saying any words; RIP second time
• tried to find another location, encountered some friendly people that helped me out with ~50QL starter tools
• build my small palisade and shitty house at remote location, far from water, without any other player's bases in ~20 minimaps radius
• got some random dude spotted me near river while I was refiling my barrels with watah and after he KO'ed me and took all my cool tools
• saw my palisade destroyed next day, cupboards are destroyed/stolen, all that was left are two stockpiles of sticks and one stockpile of wooden blocks

1. Is the only way to enjoy this game is to suffer and hope that one day I'll have ~300 stats char to fight back?
2. Is the only way to enjoy this game is joining on world start when there are no pvp-ers with full meta set of armor that are just enjoying themselves while killing random sprucecaps and wiping their bases?
4. How do I avoid this kind of situations when I can't even soak my palisade before some dude will find me and fill his ego with destroying somebody who can't do anything about it?

Thanks for your answers.

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Yes.
4. Leave the main continent and always check your neighborhood. Also, basic thinking and planning.
5. Yes.

It's all part of the learning process, don't worry. Just adapt & overcome & have fun.
Literally no one.
pagsiu

Postby Uriel » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:25 pm

Logimy2 wrote:So. I've being enjoying hnh for like ~10 days now.

For this 10 days i've:
• tried to go to the edge of the map to avoid any publicity, encountered silent pvp'ers group that wiped me and my new base without saying any words; RIP second time

Thanks for your answers.

Sadly, playerbase is 50% assholes. The rest are very cool people, there is no in beetwen. You had much bad luck - switch continents.

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Switch continents, there is much land without people.
5. You may, You don’t have to.
Uriel

Postby gravesmerch » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:33 pm

lol switch continents is a non-solution, since vertexes are not common knowledge, and very rare to find by yourself... and there's no guarantee your new continent will be friendly

at this point I'd just wait pali dry before any play time, so at least attackers would need to break Think peace
gravesmerch

Postby Miss_Min » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:22 pm

Yes and no.
No.
Yes.
Put your first claim in a cave (yes, there will be bats. Be careful.). Make an alt for storage and/or playing when the other character is stuck in a cave due to waiting for bats to despawn. Don't make your place obvious until your palisade has dried (don't be doing lots of terraforming/paving). Keep it inside one grid square so that less people see it on their map. REALLY don't bother building a house until the palisade has dried.
It's optional.

Starting on day 1 just means that every casual vandal in the neighbourhood actually WANTS your q8 dried hides/leather and will put more effort into getting hold of them.

I started in the Land of Assholes and now have a successful small farm about 4 thingwalls away, far from water and any interesting terrain features. It can be done. Good luck!
Miss_Min

Postby eliminator » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:55 am

I am a coward so I only pvp when I know I can win for sure. The problem is, in this game it is difficult to tell, unless opponent is a literal spruce cap. So when I see that someone attacks me, I know that those people have some kind of impossible-to-overcome advantage over me, like vastly better stats, gear or numbers. Because of this, I'll instantly throw all my valuables into water so they wont have any profits at least.
eliminator

Postby vatas » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:55 pm

https://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Swirling_Vortex
*See "how to use safely" -section.
*If you can confirm you are still at the spawn continent after entering one, you can simply repair boat and re-enter the same Whirpool.
*Whirlpools aren't really explained at all in-game.

Public world map: https://map.hearthworld.com/?x=44&y=62&zoom=-5 (unfortunately doesn't include any landmarks, like Thingwalls or Whirlpools.)

Courtesy of my old exploration alt, some Whirlpool locations on the SW corner of the spawn continent:
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby trinh » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:46 am

tbh it's stay away from water, red grid from nearest water and large villages. set up palisade, make alt (better on 2nd account), locate nearest vortex, check where you land if other continent, scout more, further from vortex the better, if you find decent place it's quick run with rowboat, naked alt and your "main" as logged out passanger, as long noone lift boat / take place you log in back in rowboat even after vortex jump, and hope for best in place nowhere near main continent / big villages.

killing/causing havoc in game is just too cheap, so new players have very limited space to learn the game.
trinh

Postby Logimy2 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:34 am

Really appreciate all your answers here. Will try to implement as much as I can.

Also, I've edited an opening post to mention that I've already used whirlpools and still got owned 2 times after. Second time there were 2 red tiles from my base to the nearest dead-end lake (only one river is falling into this lake and 0 goes from it) and none other player bases idk for how far: I've scouted a radius of ~10 in each direction and found none.

I assume that this was an unlucky coincidence
Logimy2

Postby fallout » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:24 pm

There is no continent in which you will find peace. Those that claim their lands are inactive simply don't venture outside, even having perimeter walls that don't allow player sightings at their walls..
fallout

Next

Return to How do I?