The Free South: calling all Settlers

Company of Dwarves seeking thief for dangerous mission. Find a group or village to play with here.

The Free South: calling all Settlers

Postby _Gunnar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:38 pm

This is not a recruitment thread. We are looking for enterprising and individualistic people or groups looking to discover or rediscover the game, or just moving from a less peaceful region.

If you want to progress and grow rich through cooperation and trade with your neighbours, but don’t necessarily want to group up and just be a cog in the machine of a large village, this could be interesting to you.

Heres what we will offer:

1. We will provide you some starting curios and equipment, and when you are ready, the materials to build a palisade cornerpost.
2. When you are ready, we can provide a pickaxe for mining and half the materials to build a minehole, if required. The reason we don’t provide all the materials is that you should probably get used to gathering (or trading for) stuff yourself if you want to get into this game.
3. We will also be willing to trade with you for other stuff you may require, for stuff you can gather.
4. The area is pretty safe but we will track and attempt to get justice if anything happens to you or your property. As a rule we prefer negotiation to settling things violently.
5. The area has natural resources like swamps and mountains, although you will largely grow out of them once you start mining etc.
6. We will put you in contact with other settlers in case you want to cooperate to progress faster, or even live together. Our hope is that everyone who settles here will quickly be able to largely catch up with us and join us in providing items 1-4 to new settlers.

You are free to do whatever you want, although if you are going to adopt a life of crime we (and other settlers) might try and kill you or not particularly care if you get killed.

To “factions”: The goal of this is not to harm anyone or even exert power over them (more than is necessary for mutual freedom) but to grow peacefully, hopefully those of you who remember me know that is pretty much what I’ve done in the past. I hope that whoever settles here can have friendly relations with everyone. If anyone has any sensible suggestions then of course I’d listen.

To "spies": There really isn't anything worth spying on, and I don't particularly care who knows where it is, the openness is the most important thing: so don't feel like you've done something clever :)

If anyone is interested, please contact one of the people listed below and they will help you out, forum profiles in links or skype works too. Its not far to the south of the starter grid.

_Gunnar - skype: gunnar_haven
Holy_Smokes - skype: HnH.Trader

PS: If you're already in the south and want to take part, let me know, of course.

Settler count: 6
Last edited by _Gunnar on Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
_Gunnar

Re: The Free South: calling all Settlers

Postby shubla » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:47 pm

So its like dis peacegrid back in w6?
Im sure this one will be as succesfull as that :lol:
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby _Gunnar » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:34 pm

shubla wrote:So its like dis peacegrid back in w6?
Im sure this one will be as succesfull as that :lol:

Its not like that in most respects, if you read the post you should be able to spot the many differences.
_Gunnar

Postby AAlex » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:13 am

Good luck Gunnar!
AAlex

Postby _Gunnar » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:58 am

AAlex wrote:Good luck Gunnar!

Thanks!

2 settlers moved here so far.
_Gunnar

Postby Holy_Smokes » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:46 pm

I've offered to help Gunnar in this endeavor, and will be happy to help supply arriving players with advice and starting gear. This game struggles with player retention, and this seems to be an opportunity to help with that, if only a bit. And as was mentioned earlier, with so few players to interact with recently, it will be nice to have more folk around :). I will try to answer questions from settlers whenever I am available, just hit me up on Skype

(Of course, am totally aware this could all end in tears lol, but perhaps the journey there will be an interesting one nonetheless! :P)
Holy_Smokes

Postby whiskeypete » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 am

Holy_Smokes wrote:
(Of course, am totally aware this [*]WILL[*] all end in tears lol, but perhaps the journey there will be an interesting one nonetheless! :P)

Fixed it for you...
I find your lack of face disturbing...
whiskeypete

Postby _Gunnar » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:31 am

whiskeypete I think you're overly negative. Basic insurance policies/survival strategies go a long way, and diplomacy has usually worked pretty well for me in the past.

Updating OP to include Holy_Smokes, thanks :)
_Gunnar

Postby whiskeypete » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:44 am

_Gunnar wrote:whiskeypete I think you're overly negative.

Generally,yes, but I prefer to call it pragmatism.

You posted a 'calling all carebears' post - if theres anyone like Bob Dole still playing they instantly started salivating at the thought of your tears.

Time will tell. The forums have been pretty boring lately, so this can only be a good thing.
I find your lack of face disturbing...
whiskeypete

Postby _Gunnar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:49 am

It says "settler" not "carebear"... Maybe the OP is confusing.

You are free to do whatever you want, although if you are going to adopt a life of crime we (and other settlers) might try and kill you or not particularly care if you get killed.

I don't want to control anyone apart from myself or keep anyone as serfs or even clients to our industrial production but to give people the tools to get started so that they can do whatever they choose.

To “factions”: The goal of this is not to harm anyone or even exert power over them (more than is necessary for mutual freedom) but to grow peacefully, hopefully those of you who remember me know that is pretty much what I’ve done in the past. I hope that whoever settles here can have friendly relations with everyone. If anyone has any sensible suggestions then of course I’d listen.

This might need clarification after I've said the above. I mean - it is not my goal to fight with anyone. I'm hoping people will be able to get to the point where they can have brickwalls, etc, and experience the freedom that that offers, and I think this thread might be a way of accelerating that. I wouldn't define myself as a "carebear" even if I (mainly) prefer peace and exploration to fighting endlessly. But I hope that other people in the area adopt my attitudes to conflict and cooperation.
_Gunnar

Next

Return to Dwarves & Thieves