Sound is laggy/stuttering

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Sound is laggy/stuttering

Postby shadelight » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi, I'm new to this game. I've just followed the instructions, downloaded the last jre, then ran the .jar and I get this sound issues.
I'm on 1 year old dell XPS (currently on win10) with pretty high specs and the min value for audio buffer is 3Mo.
It seems like this issue is happening for many users since 6 years. I think that many new users might just quit and leave the game thinking that's crappy software.

Why not adding an option for this in the options UI? Or if it's related to java version, talk about which is preferred on the Q&A page.
shadelight

Postby vatas » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:36 pm

Reposting Loftar's responses from back in 2015:

loftar wrote:I just installed a new client to try and debug this. It has a new :audiobuf console command that sets the audio buffer size, to see if that is the problem. It is run like ":audiobuf 1024", for example, which sets the audio buffer to 1024 samples, which is also the default value.

Anyone who has this problem, please try setting the buffer size to something much larger, like ":audiobuf 8192" and see if that relieves the problem. If it does, please try values in between to try and find the minimum buffer size that works for you.

For the record, my system is perfectly fine with buffer sizes as small as 128 samples, which is why I thought 1024 would be more than well enough margin.

By the way, if you have this problem, please post whether you have a single-core CPU. I kinda doubt those even exist anymore, but just to make sure.

loftar wrote:Thanks for testing, it's very helpful.

4096 or 8192 seems very excessive for the default buffer size, though, as it worsens the accuracy of audio timing. I'm not immediately sure what kind of balance to strike to solve this then, though.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby shadelight » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:53 am

@vatas, not sure if your reply relates to my post. I said in it that I had effectively changed audiobuf to at least 3Mo.
My point was that since it's a long running bug with a simple fix like that, it deserves an option in the UI.

But having said that I found that using the newest jdk 17 instead of the standard JRE 8 solves the issue.
shadelight

Postby vatas » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:15 am

Now is the time to admit I have no idea what you mean by "3Mo"
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:15 pm

so the stuttering sound has been an issue for 5 years and the fix won't be added because the sound will be off by 1 millisecond, but literally all players use said fix anyway? :?:
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby shubla » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:21 am

#1 cause for these is java gc pauses. So audio likely stutters more when there are more objects created etc.
Use java 15 and buy faster ram and cpu with more cache. (results not guaranteed)
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Kittenykat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:27 am

Why Java 15? Also the #1 thing nobody answers in regard to Jorb's old post on the matter: How the **** do you do that in the first place? Where do you access the console? Where do you type that in? Is there a file you need to edit somewhere? I have no idea! D:
Kittenykat

Postby pawnchito » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:34 am

Kittenykat wrote:Why Java 15? Also the #1 thing nobody answers in regard to Jorb's old post on the matter: How the **** do you do that in the first place? Where do you access the console? Where do you type that in? Is there a file you need to edit somewhere? I have no idea! D:

Sorry might not have been clear. With the chat bar set to system use ":" to open console and use the audiobuf command. It will open a chat line in game and outside of the normal chat window.
pawnchito

Postby Kittenykat » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:56 am

pawnchito wrote:
Kittenykat wrote:Why Java 15? Also the #1 thing nobody answers in regard to Jorb's old post on the matter: How the **** do you do that in the first place? Where do you access the console? Where do you type that in? Is there a file you need to edit somewhere? I have no idea! D:

Sorry might not have been clear. With the chat bar set to system use ":" to open console and use the audiobuf command. It will open a chat line in game and outside of the normal chat window.

Thank you! <3
Kittenykat

Postby noindyfikator » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:59 pm

I think it's time to fix laggy sound/stuttering
W3 - W10 - Hermit / small plots with spruces
W11 - The Friend Zone
W12 - KoA aka Kingdom of Ashes
W13 - Monke
W14 - Alpaca Farm aka Animal Planet
W15 - Whatever Bay - The Greatest Siege Defense Victory in Haven History - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhyUveSeZ0Q
noindyfikator

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs