Sound is laggy/stuttering

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Sound is laggy/stuttering

Postby borka » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:10 pm

Saxony4 wrote:how about you upgrade the CPU in your toasters instead.

loftar wrote:It seems hard to ascribe this problem to poor specs, in that case. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there's some latency issue related to how quickly the system "allows" the client to fill the audio buffer.

Even with 8c/8t@4,5, 32Gigs and a dedicated pro sound card you can "enjoy" those latency issues ...
Last edited by borka on Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby czaper2 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:22 pm

Also as other people have said [insert reference to other threads here], if you have no audio device present, HnH craps out errors messages into Java until it runs out of memory and crashes the entire game.

Probably want to look into that too.
czaper2

Postby xzo » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:38 am

had it problem too

fixed with command :audiobuf 4096

thanks
My mother told me Someday I would buy
Galley with good oars Sail to distant shores
Stand up high in the prow Noble barque I steer
Steady course for the haven Hew many foe-men,
hew many foe-men
xzo

Postby czaper2 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:11 pm

czaper2 wrote:Also as other people have said [insert reference to other threads here], if you have no audio device present, HnH craps out errors messages into Java until it runs out of memory and crashes the entire game.

Probably want to look into that too.

I've recently enabled WASAPI mode in my audio player to bitstream the audio directly to my receiver. This lets it take direct exclusive control of my audio card and disables windows internal mixer - it also disables access to the sound card to all other Windows apps.

Haven and Hearth gets denied access to the audio system, and because of that it works about 5 minutes currently before it craps out: the framerate drops to single digits, the CPU usage goes to 80%+.

Having no audio device, and having an audio device that is in exclusive mode, causes serious issues. Please look into this.
czaper2

Postby Rergas » Sat May 09, 2020 12:25 am

Had this problem, fixed by :audiobuf 8192.
Found this only on my laptop with Intel i5 8260U and with Realtek HD Audio integrated soundcard. Win10.
Another computer with an old Intel i7 (3th gen) and with Realtek integrated sound too - works fine with default audiobuf size. Win7.
Rergas

Postby Zbyx » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:30 pm

Had this problem on my 5 year old gaming laptop with Win 10 , fixed by console command :audiobuf 8192 . Really annoying when you start the game with a stuttering sound.
Zbyx

Postby feeder942 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:20 pm

apoc254 wrote:Can the audio if be set to 2048 by default? This has been something I type in every time I have played since 2015.

If not, can we get a temp file that stores this setting so that I don't have to keep resetting it?

Just a thought. Will not be disappointed if does not happen, but could help new players.

FYI to the new players.
Press : while not in the chat box.
Curser will go to fancy command prompt.
Type audiobuf 2048
Enjoy smooth sounds in game.

+1 to this, every time I launch this game I have to type in ":audiobuf 4096". every time. is there a config file I can edit just once or what?
feeder942

Postby TheTylerLee » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:00 am

99% of lag is sound lag 5 years later, even with new 2020 gaming laptop
Discord: XiliX#2791
TheTylerLee

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 pm

TheTylerLee wrote:99% of lag is sound lag 5 years later, even with new 2020 gaming laptop

That's because it's a Java issue, not a hardware issue. Recommendation is to upgrade to the Java 11 SDK or newer. If you're interested in the technical, there's a bit of a discussion in the Client rewrite β-testing thread. With Java 15 and certain settings, it goes away completely (from what I hear from others), though I'm not sure it's considered 'stable' with those settings currently.

@loftar: I realize you want a solid fix for this, but it shouldn't be that much more effort to add a save for the buffer value in and then delete (or at least reset) it when that fix is implemented. By entering the audiobuf command, players will see and hear the effects, so they can make that decision on how it affects their game.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby animary » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:13 am

Easy fix, but it is not persistent so must be done at every login. Click on ground (so you don't type in chat box) and type, without quotes, ":audiobuf 4096" (this will appear on screen in lower left), hit enter. Sound should immediately clear up.

This sets the sound buffer to 4meg, from the default 1meg.
animary

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs