Sound is laggy/stuttering

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Sound is laggy/stuttering

Postby SiO2 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:46 pm

Upd: Moving to the debian on the same laptop completly solved the sound problem. So its obviously not the hardware. Drivers may be? Or the OS itself?
Bronies for life /)
SiO2

Postby rootconsoler » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:19 am

http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Console_Commands

Default audio buffer is 1024 and looks like ":audiobuf 1024". If you've got sound issues try to add more to buffer. The best options are 4096-8192. Simple type ":audiobuf 8192" in original client

That solve my problem.
rootconsoler

Postby GauHelldragon » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:59 am

rootconsoler wrote:http://ringofbrodgar.com/wiki/Console_Commands

Default audio buffer is 1024 and looks like ":audiobuf 1024". If you've got sound issues try to add more to buffer. The best options are 4096-8192. Simple type ":audiobuf 8192" in original client

That solve my problem.

This solved the problem for me as well. Thanks for the fix!
GauHelldragon

Postby mlg_no-Scoper » Sat May 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Sometimes happens, and used to always happen, but then stopped.
Still happens often, i just turn off sound.
also happens on macbook pro
(I play on windows laptop)
mlg_no-Scoper

Postby mlg_no-Scoper » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Whenever I enable sound, I find that if you stand completely still, the audio is good, but as soon as you start to move, it starts to stutter. Also, usually when I am lagging, it also stutters if i stand still, and lag generally increases stuttering. I believe it is caused by the images loading. whenever many images are moving, it stutters more. when i have beehives and full trash stockpiles, there seems to be more stutter, and when i move, the faster i do, the more it stutters. it seems to be caused by moving images or something to do with visuals.

Edit: To add on: i believe it is caused by the image loading interfiering with sound, probably because they are on the same thread or both use something. The image rendering is probably somehow overlapping the audio, causing visual lag to cause audio lag
mlg_no-Scoper

Postby loftar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 am

I actually installed Windows on a spare laptop that turned out to have this problem in the hopes of debugging it, but doing any sort of programming on Windows just seems like such a complete and utter drag that I still haven't gotten around to it. Some day I'll bite the bullet.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:09 am

I've had this issue with other Java games (even Haven on my last system) since nearly all the sound processing started getting built in to the mobo. It has to do with the software signal processor and Java. I didn't try to trace it down any farther than that at the time. Even then, with people I've talked to, it seems to be a spotty problem some have and others don't.

If you can solve it, loftar, there might be a big market for your algorithm (or not... maybe you can sell it to Oracle or Microsoft.)

As an after thought... maybe someone did solve it long ago, but because of some patent troll, nobody can implement it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sMartins » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:57 am

I don't think that this has anything to do with Haven, but just saying, I was following an emulator development that runs on OpenGL too and they were having a similiar issue that was related to CPU and GPU synchronization, when one is faster the other lag behind causing similiar issues ... as I said probably nothing to do with haven, but just my 2 cents.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Bladborn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 am

i have the same problem!
Bladborn

Postby loftar » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:37 am

MagicManICT wrote:I've had this issue with other Java games

If it is related to the Java audio API, it could perhaps be interesting to see if OpenAL works better. It's a bit of work to integrate it without even knowing whether it works better, though, but I'll have to consider it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs