Bugged animals can't be butchered

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Bugged animals can't be butchered

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:32 am

Granger wrote:My perspective on this is that Loftar codes UNIX style (eradicate the bugs at the source to get a perfectly stable system), which at times takes longer than the windows approach (add workarounds to make it 'good enough' up to the point where everything blows up in spectacular ways on a regular basis).

So please get creative to figure out under what exact circumstances a cadaver comes into this state and post a reproducer.

Just apply band aid to it.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby infectedking » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 am

shubla wrote:
Granger wrote:My perspective on this is that Loftar codes UNIX style (eradicate the bugs at the source to get a perfectly stable system), which at times takes longer than the windows approach (add workarounds to make it 'good enough' up to the point where everything blows up in spectacular ways on a regular basis).

So please get creative to figure out under what exact circumstances a cadaver comes into this state and post a reproducer.

Just apply band aid to it.

he puts band aids for everything else, he should just allow us to bash animal bodies tbh, would fix the issue of having too many bugged animals.
dafels wrote:I like to be under Frosty's command.

Any Questions about the game or anything, hit me up on skype: deadlytroll1 Or you can find me in the hedgehug realm chat on discord.
W7: Hermit
W8: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W9: Peaceful Farmer of F&I
W10: deserter-Peaceful Farmer of F&I
infectedking

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:32 pm

As a Windows programmer, please don't imply that this is the case based on platform. It's a flaw of bad coders everywhere no matter what system they use.

And I'll also note that sometimes it's useful to patch in a workaround as the core problem means a complete system rewrite. Loftar has been known to do this in the past (tanning tubs, anyone?)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:47 pm

MagicManICT wrote: It's a flaw of bad coders everywhere no matter what system they use.

Coders are not always necessarily bad. Their superiors might just be bad. Not giving enough time to do stuff.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:53 pm

shubla wrote:
MagicManICT wrote: It's a flaw of bad coders everywhere no matter what system they use.

Coders are not always necessarily bad. Their superiors might just be bad. Not giving enough time to do stuff.

True. It's a viable excuse when working on a project for a company *or under tight deadlines*. Banking systems in the US are full of "workarounds" because the core systems are nearly 60 years old and needed replaced 30 years ago. A gal I went to school with couldn't code in C/C++ worth a damn, but somehow she took to COBOL and got hired by a bank to maintain their systems (this was just about 10 years ago).

** edited in
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:20 am

MagicManICT wrote:As a Windows programmer, please don't imply that this is the case based on platform. It's a flaw of bad coders everywhere no matter what system they use.
I picked windows since it is filled with shit like this, and can (and has to) be 'cured' from ~80% of surfacing problems by rebooting. Uptime I see on my *nix servers is usually counted in years (the only reason they get rebooted is when they get physically relocated), since bugs there tend to get fixed instead of being covered over by another layer of duct tape that only masks the issues.

FYI: I professionally support IT (among others also windows, since it breaks often and badly => €) since >20 years. My experience from dealing with the ecosystem of MS platform vs. *nix tells me that programmers seem to adapt their stance toward bugs according to the operating system they work on, Poettering ignored for the moment. YMMV.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:12 am

I actually encountered this bug myself for the first time the other day, in a situation that I couldn't see anything special about. I think I've read through the code 20 times already, and still haven't found anything that could go wrong. At least I know some little bit more, I guess.

Granger wrote:Poettering

"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Redlaw » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:44 am

Ya this bug made me hide or dump the skinned but un-butchered animals inn caves and such.... since I moved away i have no idea if those things are still there right now.
Redlaw

Postby tyrtix » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:43 pm

okay, me too found some unbutcherable animals around, but now i found another weirdness, that may be tied to the same thing. I had a boar in a cart, got at home, taken the body from the cart, dumped on the ground, still okay. Switch to my alt to do some things, and when logged in with alt, the animal is skinned. Mind that i unloaded the animal inside my walls, under pclaim and village. I can butcher it btw, but really seems the same line of bug.
tyrtix

Postby Granger » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:02 pm

loftar wrote:
Granger wrote:Poettering

If you had selected a pic of someone with hammer and stake I would have gotten it, so I'm a bit unsure of the message...

tyrtix wrote:okay, me too found some unbutcherable animals around, but now i found another weirdness, that may be tied to the same thing. I had a boar in a cart, got at home, taken the body from the cart, dumped on the ground, still okay. Switch to my alt to do some things, and when logged in with alt, the animal is skinned. Mind that i unloaded the animal inside my walls, under pclaim and village. I can butcher it btw, but really seems the same line of bug.

I think animal decay is on a timer and not triggered by 'decay'.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs