Game stops working suddenly

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Game stops working suddenly

Postby MagicManICT » Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 am

Reading comprehension wasn't one of my strengths in school. :oops:

I'm not sure what to suggest on the other than double checking everything for proper drivers and installation. I also always like to suggest a listing of hardware and drivers, operating system, and other system software installed so that developers might compile a list and see what might be causing issues. And on that last spot, I know there's been issues with certain security services in the past, but I don't recall any recent issues, at least since w8 a couple years ago, at least.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Fri May 18, 2018 6:20 am

Ping of 0.3 seconds (300ms) on average isn't that good (but can't be helped in case you live far away, as information has a speed limit in this universe), but as of the way Haven is structured (indirect control of the character) one can get used to the delay it brings.

I would try to find the cause for the packet loss. Should it be a hop somewhere farer upstream that simply drops a packet here and there the game should survive it, but in case your connection goes down for an extended amount of time the game will freeze.

You could pipe the output of the ping command to a file to look if the lost packets cluster (several, consecutive packets vanish), possibly run another ping in parallel to a different, closer target (2nd or 3rd hop you get when doing a tracert to the game server) to see if the problem is local or remote.

Should you use WLAN for the last hop: try with a cable instead.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby sebacame » Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Reading comprehension wasn't one of my strengths in school. :oops:

I'm not sure what to suggest on the other than double checking everything for proper drivers and installation. I also always like to suggest a listing of hardware and drivers, operating system, and other system software installed so that developers might compile a list and see what might be causing issues. And on that last spot, I know there's been issues with certain security services in the past, but I don't recall any recent issues, at least since w8 a couple years ago, at least.

Ok, double cheked my drivers, made a fresh re-install of java and haven, sadly the issue is still there :/
Hardware:
amd a10-5800k 3.80ghz processor
8 gb ram
amd radeon r9 200 series 4gb
software:
64 bit windows 7 ultimate
eset nod32 antivirus
malwarebytes
open hardware monitor

Granger wrote:Ping of 0.3 seconds (300ms) on average isn't that good (but can't be helped in case you live far away, as information has a speed limit in this universe), but as of the way Haven is structured (indirect control of the character) one can get used to the delay it brings.

I would try to find the cause for the packet loss. Should it be a hop somewhere farer upstream that simply drops a packet here and there the game should survive it, but in case your connection goes down for an extended amount of time the game will freeze.

You could pipe the output of the ping command to a file to look if the lost packets cluster (several, consecutive packets vanish), possibly run another ping in parallel to a different, closer target (2nd or 3rd hop you get when doing a tracert to the game server) to see if the problem is local or remote.

Should you use WLAN for the last hop: try with a cable instead.

Sadly i live in argentina... kinda far from the server so 300ms is fine by me, plus all my friends from here have higher ping and never experienced this problem.
Did a research on packet loss and it justs drops a packet here and there, shouldn't be an issue.

Update about the problem: It happens randomly doing anything but i whenever i go into combat it's pretty consistent, kicking me 8 out of 10 times i was in combat. Happened while attacking ants, boars, players, pretty much anything. Weird thing is it's not "stagely" consistent, it sometimes freezes me whenever i initiate combat, other times in the middle of it and other times when i finish combat.
sebacame

Postby Granger » Mon May 21, 2018 10:42 pm

You could try have another character (on a different account) in a second client open (your system should be fast enough to handle this) to see if it'll also be affected when your main client freezes.

sebacame wrote:eset nod32 antivirus
malwarebytes
open hardware monitor

I can only suggest to try to disable these for a test (and shut down everything else running in the background that has a remote chance to interfere), possibly they get in the way.
Granger

Postby Fostik » Tue May 22, 2018 10:39 pm

Have same problem, just like that:
https://i.imgur.com/ZouC5pN.gifv
As you see freezes in running, other objects are not active too = game freezed and not react for my clicks.
Reproduces only on Purus client
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby sebacame » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:07 am

Granger wrote:You could try have another character (on a different account) in a second client open (your system should be fast enough to handle this) to see if it'll also be affected when your main client freezes.

Tried this, second client wasn't affected when main froze

Granger wrote:I can only suggest to try to disable these for a test (and shut down everything else running in the background that has a remote chance to interfere), possibly they get in the way.

Disabled all those+firewall+every other program not necessary for windows... sadly it keeps hapenning

Fostik wrote:Have same problem, just like that:
https://i.imgur.com/ZouC5pN.gifv
As you see freezes in running, other objects are not active too = game freezed and not react for my clicks.
Reproduces only on Purus client

Not the same problem, that is a custom client problem + it doesn't seem to happen in the same way, game animations keep running for me, if a horse was moving when it freezed, the horse will keep doing it's running animation but won't move.
sebacame

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:56 am

sebacame wrote:game animations keep running for me, if a horse was moving when it freezed, the horse will keep doing it's running animation but won't move.

This usually indicates a desync with the server. Not sure what to suggest on how to fix it other than checking firewalls and other security software. If you're behind a firewall for your network access (school, corporate, or other such network), you might need to talk to the network admin. The admin (or help desk) might be willing to help you troubleshoot local network issues, too.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Granger » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:33 am

Information about your setup (especially how the machine connects to the internet, network cards, model of router, ...) might help us come up with additional ideas.
Granger

Postby Fostik » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Fixed on my side.
Problem was only reproduced on Purus pasta.
Problem was only reproduced on my bugged WiFi card, there was a strange thing, for example if i ping 8.8.8.8 i will get 4 normal answers and one of answers will be 1500 ms.
In amber client this is not causing problem, when i got packet loss, im just jumping/teleporting on game map.
But when packet loss happened in purus client it caused game to freeze.

So check your internet connection, and packet loses, helped to me!
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby svino » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:21 pm

It could also happen if your IP is somehow changed by your router or ISP occasionally. Then the hafen server would be sending messages to you without you receiving anything. Usually in other online games there would be a timeout of for example 10 seconds before disconnecting you, but I don't think any of the hafen clients automatically disconnects you if you lose connection.

You should try to check if your public or private IP has changed after you get this strange disconnect.

on windows you would check your private IP by pressing WinKey + R -> write cmd and enter to open command line -> write ipconfig and enter
you can check your public IP by visiting a website like https://www.myip.com/
svino

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs