Game stops working suddenly

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Game stops working suddenly

Postby sebacame » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 am

MagicManICT wrote:This usually indicates a desync with the server. Not sure what to suggest on how to fix it other than checking firewalls and other security software. If you're behind a firewall for your network access (school, corporate, or other such network), you might need to talk to the network admin. The admin (or help desk) might be willing to help you troubleshoot local network issues, too.

Well i already checked with all my security and firewall turned off, still happened. I'm the owner of the network, tried with my router's firewall off too, but it still happens. Router log doesn't help either sadly.

Granger wrote:Information about your setup (especially how the machine connects to the internet, network cards, model of router, ...) might help us come up with additional ideas.

It's connected via wifi and it's a Mitrastar router DSL-2401HN-T1C model (third world shitty router i think).

Fostik wrote:Fixed on my side.
Problem was only reproduced on Purus pasta.
Problem was only reproduced on my bugged WiFi card, there was a strange thing, for example if i ping 8.8.8.8 i will get 4 normal answers and one of answers will be 1500 ms.
In amber client this is not causing problem, when i got packet loss, im just jumping/teleporting on game map.
But when packet loss happened in purus client it caused game to freeze.

So check your internet connection, and packet loses, helped to me!

The thing is that this happens to me in any custom client and on the default one, already tried pinging and doesn't seems to be the issue here.

svino wrote:It could also happen if your IP is somehow changed by your router or ISP occasionally. Then the hafen server would be sending messages to you without you receiving anything. Usually in other online games there would be a timeout of for example 10 seconds before disconnecting you, but I don't think any of the hafen clients automatically disconnects you if you lose connection.

You should try to check if your public or private IP has changed after you get this strange disconnect.

on windows you would check your private IP by pressing WinKey + R -> write cmd and enter to open command line -> write ipconfig and enter
you can check your public IP by visiting a website like https://www.myip.com/

Both public and private IP remain the same after it bugs :cry:

Note: I can reproduce the freeze consistently if i spar a few times.
Rechecked pings to games.havenandhearth.com and 8.8.8.8 while freezed happened but doesn't seem to be it, consistent ms + 0%packet loss
I also don't think it's overloading my router cause i think it should disconnect me from my second client if that was the case
sebacame

Postby svino » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:33 am

Possibly it could be a java issue then, you didn't write what version of java you were using. Preferably you should use java 1.8, 64 bit. Could you double check that?

Also since someone else suggested that this bug only happened for him on purys client, and since it's definitely some connection issue. I'm thinking his purys could be disconnecting because it's using the https link to the gameserver instead of the http link, some weird little java or router bug can probably harm you there whereas in http it might not.

You can edit the run.bat on the custom clients and instead of:
Code: Select all
start javaw -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -jar hafen.jar -U https://game.havenandhearth.com/hres/ game.havenandhearth.com

change it to
Code: Select all
start javaw -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -jar hafen.jar -U http://game.havenandhearth.com/hres/ game.havenandhearth.com
svino

Postby borka » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:32 pm

You might also try to just switch to another WiFi channel ... are NOD and Malwarebyte Scanners both running active or is just NOD active and MWB on demand ? If both active put MWB to demand only ... (that's how i run NOD and MWB without probs on W7 pro)
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby sMartins » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:14 pm

sebacame wrote:Had the ping checking for about 2 hours now, here are the results: 272ms minimum, medium is 292ms and maximum is 1282ms... That maximum is quite alarming, but i checked the log and it's caused by sudden ping spikes apparently. That ping spike may be the cause of this "bug"... not sure why they happen tho. Most of the time my ping is below 300. Out of 6425 packages, 15 were lost :/

It's that man, 1282ms + packets lost, connection (to the server) goes down and game freeze.
Possible solutions = if this happens only to the connection with the game server it's just the distance and you can try to use a VPN, if this is a general issue of your connection, it's a provider issue or some trouble on your home line.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:22 pm

If your router and computer will allow you to plug it in, try that way. Could be as borka suggests and you're on a bad channel, could be the wifi in general having issues no matter what channel you hop to.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby sebacame » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:51 pm

svino wrote:Possibly it could be a java issue then, you didn't write what version of java you were using. Preferably you should use java 1.8, 64 bit. Could you double check that?

Yeah i'm using java version 1.8.0_171-b11 64 bit

borka wrote:You might also try to just switch to another WiFi channel ... are NOD and Malwarebyte Scanners both running active or is just NOD active and MWB on demand ? If both active put MWB to demand only ... (that's how i run NOD and MWB without probs on W7 pro)

I tried playing with both NOD and Malwarebytes off and it doesn't help, but thanks for that tip. Tried all the 12 channels, didn't seem to matter

sMartins wrote:It's that man, 1282ms + packets lost, connection (to the server) goes down and game freeze.
Possible solutions = if this happens only to the connection with the game server it's just the distance and you can try to use a VPN, if this is a general issue of your connection, it's a provider issue or some trouble on your home line.

Yeah i thought as much but tried it again while playing the game and the bad ms + packet losses didn't match with game freezing, but i'm gonna try using a VPN just in case cause yeah it only happens with haven

MagicManICT wrote:If your router and computer will allow you to plug it in, try that way. Could be as borka suggests and you're on a bad channel, could be the wifi in general having issues no matter what channel you hop to.

I can plug it in i just need a lot of time to move all my setup downstairs, probably gonna try it out whenever i have some freetime, thanks.

Note: Just tried it out with both NOD and Malwarebytes off + windows firewall off + router firewall off + trying different wifi channels and it still happens. Gonna try using a VPN and whenever i can try plugging in the router to the pc... if that doesn't work i guess i'm buying a new router and checking if that solves it. Thanks to everyone trying to help btw :)
sebacame

Postby sMartins » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:18 pm

sebacame wrote:Yeah i thought as much but tried it again while playing the game and the bad ms + packet losses didn't match with game freezing, but i'm gonna try using a VPN just in case cause yeah it only happens with haven

Yeah, but who knows what really happens? Probably the connection degrades causing some kind of desync and at some point the server/client shout it down .... idk tbh.
Would be interesting to hear Loftar on this regard, Loftar what happens in your game when the connection is struggling? When exactly the connection gets lost?
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Granger » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:01 pm

You could, should you have an uplink that uses an encapsulation protocol (DSL PPPoE), try to reduce the MTU on your network interface - your 'third world shitty router' might discard packets of a certain size (as wrapping them into the transport protocol enlarges then above the limit for the link).

Yes, I know that loftar doesn't think that this could be an issue - but I have cured quite some systems (especially ones attached to cheap routers) that had strange network issues... so why not give it a try.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby borka » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Are you connecting by a Wifi card/stick in your computer ? You might try getting a 2.4 Ghz WiFi Repeater like TP-Link 850RE which are cheap but solid (borrowing or "testbuy" in a local shop) and connect it by ethernet cable (CAT5e min) to your computer ... it also helps to let it point in the direction where the router is ...
Java 8 - manually downloads - good to check for actual versions url here:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40331
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head Feed your head
borka

Postby kasoi » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:03 pm

Hi there. Sorry for necroposting, but i have the same issue.

Every 5-10-15 minutes the client stopped working. I can move UI items, rotate camera, but can't receive any responses from server. Can't move, can't see anyone moving. My teammate says that i run for a bit while i reported that i've "lagged" again. And every 5-10-15 minutes i need to restart client to start playing.

It happens in vanilla (and purus and ard). It happens more often if i'll be dare enough to alt tab to another window (or just start working on another screen while game is still playing on the main screen)

Today i started a game on laptop and it worked well for a 8 hours. Laptop and PC both connected to the same router (but pc is connected with a cable). Ping to game.havenandhearth is not more than 53ms. I don't have any connection problems on another games. Like i can play CSGO or LoL for a hours without any lag spike or so.

I have last Java (8 bit x64, reinstalled 1 hour ago), last windows 10 update, last graphics update. Everything is up to date. I don't use antiviruses or firewall over default windows.

I set java, javaw in arguments in bat files in Ard client, set 2 gb, 4 gb memory for it. Still no luck.

What can i do to fix this? It's very, very annoying and i lost a lot of stuff because of this bug. How to debug it?

Specs if you need:
Nvidia 970
i7 8700k
16gb ddr4

Router Xiaomi Mi Wifi 4a
kasoi

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs