Runs out of video memory at launch

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Runs out of video memory at launch

Postby DocRafferty » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:56 pm

I was editing options when I used a render scale slider (iicr) slid it up, it crashed now I cant launch the game to edit it.
DocRafferty

Re: Runs out of video memory at launch

Postby loftar » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:08 pm

That sounds really weird, to be honest. Unless you managed to set the slider to 10 or something (which it shouldn't normally allow unless you're using something like an 8K screen), there really shouldn't be anything at the login screen that should use that much video memory.

You can use regedit to edit the preferences directly, though, if you want to try it. Since I don't use Windows, I can't confirm it directly, but I believe they should be stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/Haven/hafen, and the one you're looking for is called uiscale.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby DocRafferty » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:24 pm

loftar wrote:That sounds really weird, to be honest. Unless you managed to set the slider to 10 or something (which it shouldn't normally allow unless you're using something like an 8K screen), there really shouldn't be anything at the login screen that should use that much video memory.

You can use regedit to edit the preferences directly, though, if you want to try it. Since I don't use Windows, I can't confirm it directly, but I believe they should be stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/JavaSoft/Prefs/Haven/hafen, and the one you're looking for is called uiscale.

How would i do that
DocRafferty

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:48 am

Start>Run... "regedit.exe" NOTE: When working in the registry, be sure to back it up before making any changes!! If something goes wrong, you can completely break Windows preventing it from even booting. To back up the registry, and instructions on how to restore it, I'll leave you with the Microsoft instructions. Note on backing up the entire registry--make sure "All" is selected at the bottom where it says "export range."

You can then navigate through the registry much like File Explorer. I suggest going straight to the place your looking for and only edit the entry you wish to change. Editing anything else can break things. (Of course, you now have a backup, so if you do break something, you can restore the previous version of the registry. If you break something critical, you might need to boot into restore mode from a USB drive)

The default, I'll take a guess, is 1.0. I'm going to also take a guess in that you can delete the key all together (right click key entry>delete) as I've not adjusted the UI scaling, and I don't have the entry in my registry. As it is an entry for a game, in particular Haven, you can probably delete the branch and it will get restored the next time you run the game. (Note: don't do this with all software, as some software sets things at install time that can't be changed.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:53 am

MagicManICT wrote:I'm going to also take a guess in that you can delete the key all together (right click key entry>delete)

Indeed. Removing preferences for Haven simply causes the client to use the default value instead.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:30 pm

After a few recent issues with this, it's a good idea to sticky this thread until the problem is resolved.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby animary » Fri May 21, 2021 3:17 am

There seems a certain instability from moving the render scale from 100 at all. I lowered it one click (to 85) and could not play more than about an hour without a crash, either the screen would freeze (all animation stops, could move cursor but not click on anything) and I would have to invoke Task Manager and kill process, or the screen would go solid white with no cursor and CTD in a minute or so. Easy solution - leave it at 100.
animary

Return to Bugs