Stale resources

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Stale resources

Postby loftar » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm

It has come to my attention that several users are having trouble with their resource cache having been polluted with resources intended for the old (pre-render-system-rewrite) client. This usually takes the form of a NoSuchMethodError exception on the class haven.TexGL, which indeed does not exist in the new client. There are other expressions of this problem in addition to that, but that's by far the most common one.

I don't yet have any idea how these users have gotten old resources into their caches, but theories include:
  • Perhaps there is some misconfigured custom client that uses the wrong cache?
  • I've seen rumors of people using semi-custom .bat files to launch their clients; perhaps this is causing configuration issues, especially if they're being made from outdated sources?

I'm making this thread to let it stand as general information on the issue and to link people to it when they're having this problem, but if you have some more information on the issue -- for example, might be causing it, or helpful information for those in need -- then feel free to post it.

The most straightforward way to fix this problem if you are having it is to remove your cache directory. On Windows, this is located in your AppData directory, under the Haven and Hearth\data subdirectory. Doing so should fix the problem, but keep in mind that the in-game map is also stored there, so it is recommended that you, if possible, export the map before you remove the cache so that you can reimport afterward. If you cannot log in on your character due to the problem, it might help to go and create a new character instead and export the map from there (all characters on the same account share the same in-game map).

In the future, if the cause hasn't been found, this problem should be permanently fixed once the old clients are deprecated entirely and their resources deleted.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Re: Stale resources

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:46 pm

loftar wrote:In the future, if the cause hasn't been found, this problem should be permanently fixed once the old clients are deprecated entirely and their resources deleted.

Please consider pulling the plug on the old render branch, it's only causing problems.

Public clients are already using the new render:
- Ender's client is already working
- shubla's probably already working on his new render.

Amber/Ardennes are full of band-aids applied by several different people each time, and those said bandaids will just break on every new update anyway.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby jianpanxia1 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:17 pm

Thank you very much. My problem has been solved
jianpanxia1

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:09 pm

Drop support and/or forcibly clean caches on world reset! I will release my new client before w13 so dont worry people will have an option to still use custom client.

People will be more motivated to make new clients on world start etc.
By supporting old clients people have to suffer from miserable fps on world start.

You should take chain to your own hands and not let players cuckold you! Show the place of cabin!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby iamahh » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:11 am

I had these problems when I still tried to use Amber, mixing with default and whatnot

now I use only default with small changes, works fine, sometimes I launch default to fetch stuff missing

I had a christmas star crash on me once, but launching vanilla fixed
iamahh

Postby Undefined » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:02 am

+1 to dropping support entirely for old render clients, fresh world, fresh clients - People have had plenty of time to migrate.
Undefined

Postby jock » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:23 pm

Undefined wrote:+1 to dropping support entirely for old render clients, fresh world, fresh clients - People have had plenty of time to migrate.
jock

Postby Ardennesss » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:21 pm

jock wrote:
Undefined wrote:+1 to dropping support entirely for old render clients, fresh world, fresh clients - People have had plenty of time to migrate.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby wafflecat » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:19 pm

If you cleared your cache and this keeps happening, you're probably using the old res URL in the run.bat script or whatever batch file you're using.
Replace https://game.havenandhearth.com/hres/ with https://game.havenandhearth.com/res/
wafflecat

Postby vatas » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:46 am

Deleted all cache folders I could find, Default still fails to properly launch and links to this topic.

EDIT: This was an old laptop that had been used all the way back during 2D Haven and turned out if had it's real (hafen) appdata folder was hidden while I scoured through handful of red herrings (possibly from 2D Haven).
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Return to Bugs