Unable to launch the application.

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Unable to launch the application.

Postby Eskiimo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:08 am

Getting real sick of this.

Been trying to perform the simple action of installing and playing the game, but even that seems an impossibility. I've installed Java, followed all the steps, but every time I launch it I simply get this:
https://i.imgur.com/tZFaFWn.png

What am I doing wrong, here? It should be as simple as clicking play and playing the game, yet here I am, completely stuck. ANY assistance greatly appreciated, gotta be some way past this utter nonsense.
Eskiimo

Re: Unable to launch the application.

Postby Eskiimo » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:09 am

If it's at all useful, here are the details I get:

EXCEPTION:

JNLParseException[ Could not parse launch file. Error at line 1.]
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLErrorReporter.reportError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.xml.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
... 8 more

WRAPPED EXCEPTION:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 1; columnNumber: 1; Content is not allowed in prolog.
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.fatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLScanner.reportFatalError(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$PrologDriver.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl.next(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.XMLParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
Eskiimo

Postby vatas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:32 am

If you're using the website play button, you're trying to launch the default (official) client (the one thing that arguably should work.)

However you can try a custom client, the one that is up-to-date and currently being maintained actively is the Ender client.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:18 pm

Eskiimo wrote:JNLParseException[ Could not parse launch file. Error at line 1.]

Were you looking up advice somewhere? There's been some changes in recent years, and some of the information is outdated. I've been trying to find the old information and send it to Hel, but it can be a bit of a slow process (and I'm terrible about getting sidetracked by other projects). Could you post the link so I can make sure the information is corrected or removed from the forum?

You should launch a .jar file with java.exe or javaw.exe, never javaws.exe. Haven used to launch via Java Web Start (javaws.exe), but as Oracle is dropping support for that at some point in the near future, loftar decided to get ahead of the curve and change to .jar launch system. If you reconfigured the launch options for your Haven launcher, I'd suggest going back through the same steps and making sure that the .jar file is configured to launch via java.exe

Eskiimo wrote:If it's at all useful, here are the details I get:

It's always useful, as put by many devs: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=71520#p887333
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Groutfrog » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:58 pm

1.80.0.5fe4c30a
Windows 10 10.0 x64, 1.8.0_251 amd64
Intel (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600) - 4.3.0 - Build 20.19.15.5126

java.lang.RuntimeException: Delayed error in resource paginae/pose/sitdown (v2), from forking source backed by HTTP res source (https://game.havenandhearth.com/hres/)
at haven.Resource$Pool$Queued.get(Resource.java:405)
at haven.Resource$Pool$Queued.get(Resource.java:374)
at haven.Session$CachedRes$Ref.get(Session.java:124)
at haven.Session$CachedRes$Ref.get(Session.java:117)
at haven.MenuGrid.uimsg(MenuGrid.java:648)
at haven.UI.uimsg(UI.java:359)
at haven.RemoteUI.run(RemoteUI.java:70)
at haven.MainFrame.run(MainFrame.java:268)
Caused by: haven.Resource$LoadException: Invalid image data in paginae/pose/sitdown
at haven.Resource$Image.<init>(Resource.java:935)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedConstructorAccessor4.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
at haven.Resource$LayerConstructor.cons(Resource.java:815)
at haven.Resource.load(Resource.java:1508)
at haven.Resource.access$600(Resource.java:43)
at haven.Resource$Pool.handle(Resource.java:454)
at haven.Resource$Pool.access$1100(Resource.java:351)
at haven.Resource$Pool$Loader.run(Resource.java:607)
... 1 more
Suppressed: haven.Resource$LoadException: Load error in resource paginae/pose/sitdown(v2), from cache source backed by FileCache(https://game.havenandhearth.com/hres/)
at haven.Resource$Pool.handle(Resource.java:466)
... 3 more
Suppressed: haven.Resource$LoadException: Load error in resource paginae/pose/sitdown(v2), from local res source
... 4 more
Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: Could not find resource locally: paginae/pose/sitdown
at haven.Resource$JarSource.get(Resource.java:255)
at haven.Resource$Pool.handle(Resource.java:450)
... 3 more
Caused by: haven.Message$EOF: Required 16 bytes, got only 0
at haven.Message.rensure(Message.java:103)
at haven.Message.bytes(Message.java:186)
at haven.Resource.load(Resource.java:1492)
at haven.Resource.access$600(Resource.java:43)
at haven.Resource$Pool.handle(Resource.java:454)
... 3 more
every time I turn on amber what to do
Groutfrog

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Groutfrog wrote:every time I turn on amber what to do

You should probably see the most recent posts in the Amber thread as a place to start for issues with that client, or otherwise in The Wizards' Tower for modded client and tool issues. Bugs is a place to get for issues with server and game play mechanics or tech support for the standard client.

Just to note: Amber hasn't been updated by romovs in over a year. My suggestion would be to switch to one of the currently updated clients posted in The Wizards' Tower. Loftar and jorb keep stating that support for the older client base will be ending at some point, and that day draws closer.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Bugs