Widget ID's loop causing GameUI to be unfindable.

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Widget ID's loop causing GameUI to be unfindable.

Postby perpetualgamer » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 am

The way the server spits out widget ids when generating new widgets is based on a simplistic incrementing system of a short. This works fine until you get to 65535 (the upper limit of a short). At which point the server loops back to 1, unfortunately, the GameUI Widget, which is integral, gets overridden at this point. Rendering the client in either a crashed or frozen state. This problem happens in both the base client and any modded clients after enough widgets are created.

An easy way to replicate this in all clients is to spam open a full cupboard. After opening it enough times the client will crash.

To work around this you must make sure you restart your client fairly often or do some other silly wackiness in custom clients. Please send help Loftar. :)
perpetualgamer

Re: Widget ID's loop causing GameUI to be unfindable.

Postby mvgulik » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:00 pm

>"An easy way to replicate this in all clients is to spam open a full cupboard"

That definitely would explain the odd crashes I got when moving lots of stuff around in many cupboards (last world).

(Sounds a bit related to why there was some Y2K problems a long long time ago in a far far far away world)
mvgulik

Re: Widget ID's loop causing GameUI to be unfindable.

Postby perpetualgamer » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:49 pm

mvgulik wrote:>"An easy way to replicate this in all clients is to spam open a full cupboard"

That definitely would explain the odd crashes I got when moving lots of stuff around in many cupboards (last world).

(Sounds a bit related to why there was some Y2K problems a long long time ago in a far far far away world)

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the exact same issue. Cause technically this could crash doing anything. Picking up a Foragable could brick the whole thing if you've been running long enough.
perpetualgamer

Return to Bugs