How many (not a bug but no idea where to post)

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

How many (not a bug but no idea where to post)

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:41 am

Since I'm no native speaker myself I had to google a bit to make 100% sure this should ask for "How many" seeds we want to take from a bucket instead of how much.

Pommfritz

Re: How many (not a bug but no idea where to post)

Postby jorb » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:37 pm

Note that the text is generic, and also used for withdrawing flour and the like, where "how much" makes more sense than "how many". Could perhaps argue that "how many" is more generic in the posssible interpretation of referring to "how many units".
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Pommfritz » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:12 pm

Yea it's not bugging me much, I understand. Probably not the highest priority to get those things 100% correct
Pommfritz

Postby Agrik » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:06 am

Not a native English speaker either, but I have a weird feeling... can't the situation be like the one with "money" and specific currencies?

That is, you can have 100 dollars and 100 euros total, in different bills, and pose a question like "How much do you want to take?" implying "How much money...", where "money" would be uncountable. Can someone more fluent (or more native) clarify, is it possible to think the same way, "How much Flax oil..." or "How much Cavedust...", like about a resource, when seeing a text about specific "6 liters of Flax oil" or "2 kg of Cavedust"?

Upd.: Or even more controversial... does "4312 seeds of Barley" allow to talk about it "How much...", perhaps in a way like "How much of it..." ?
Agrik

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:12 am

Holy shit, don't you guys have better things to do than to bother Jorb with semantics and grammar?
The reason no one mentioned it is because nobody gives a shit about it.
It does not affect gameplay.
It does not affect lore.
It has absolutely no impact on anything beside you. KAREN.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby rawfullemayo » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Native speaker here, "how much" also works in this case because in English you can say "how much seed" as an alternative to "how many seeds", and in fact the former is probably more common with professionals (farmers) that deal with seeds.
rawfullemayo

Return to Bugs