Game stutters

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Game stutters

Postby MycroSparks » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:06 pm

So i've just revisited the game with some friends, and I'm experiencing a weird stutter, like every 2-3 seconds, there's a freeze on both the audio, and gameplay that lasts for a few milliseconds.
I know it's not my system, since I have a GTX 1650 and AMD Ryzen 5 2600, which should be way more then enough to run it. Any ideas?
MycroSparks

Re: Game stutters

Postby pawnchito » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:11 pm

What is the client that you are running?
pawnchito

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:13 pm

MycroSparks wrote: every 2-3 seconds, there's a freeze on both the audio, and gameplay that lasts for a few milliseconds.

That actually sounds exactly like a system problem. You could be running the highest speed processor and still have these issues if there's software or hardware on your system that isn't playing nicely together.

What version of Java are you running? What operating system? What graphics driver version? If you're using Java 8 or another older version, you might want to see the thread on sound issues stickied here in Bugs: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=39939
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:20 pm

Well its obviously just Javas GC doing its work. You could try using different configs for GC. The old GC's in java <11(?) etc. are not supposed to be used for real-time applications such as games (or even g1 to be honest). For game you would want at most 16ms stops in the gc, and for audio buffering even less than that. But with old gc it may take more than 50ms or even hundreds easily sometimes causing that annoying stutter.

GC1 works for most people, but with ZGC you can get even better performance. No micro stutters at all, they aim for sub millisecond pause times. Sadly, at least an year ago there were some bugs with it in hnh. Sometimes the heap usage went to 95% not really going down, and thus fps dropped to 1 or even less. Only way to fix was to either force manual gc few times (yes its weird) or restart the game.
Could be that its fixed on newer versions though, as ZGC is under very active development from what I've presumed.

Fun fact is that the door sound in HnH is really not supposed to sound like what you often hear. Lots of objects are allocated and freed when you exit/enter a world and thus gc does lots of work and pausing causing the sound to go weird as audio buffer gets choppy.

Sadly I think HnH does not work with the newest java versions. There are lots of improvements to gc which is one of main issues people have with the game so I hope it will some day work with java 17 etc.

Edit: Also using fancy ram may have minor improvements, I'd imagine.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Return to Bugs