Can't use left-click except on UI, having the dreaded bug.

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Can't use left-click except on UI, having the dreaded bug.

Postby Malacuto » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:48 pm

Code: Select all
Hello once again guys,

I admit I was a dummy when it came to the milestone issue. Laying the signs diagonally and keeping the line straight worked wonders.
Anyways, I'm having a bug which is well-known around here but hoping there might be a fix at the moment.

This bug happens on my Dell laptop, to which I'll post the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3320M
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Yes, it's an iGPU)
Java: Version 8 Update 311 (64bit version)

When I try to play, left-click stops working making me unable to move around or use objects. UI still works, and I can move if I click the minimap.
From what I gathered around, this seems to be a GPU driver bug and I couldn't find a fix.

I've tried updating the drivers from Dell(already up to date), updating Java(up to date), using another client. This happens on default and Ender client.

Anyways, is there any resource of workaround that I can use to fix the issue?
Feedback would be much appreciated.
Malacuto

Re: Can't use left-click except on UI, having the dreaded bu

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:24 am

Can you check what version of OpenGL your driver supports? I'm not sure exactly what generations of Intel graphics are covered by this, but I know that somewhere around that era, there seems to be a bug in the Intel driver that makes it not support OpenGL queries correctly, which is the reason clicking doesn't work, and I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to work around that bug. I believe the bug was indicated by the driver only supporting OpenGL 3.0 or 3.1, but I don't remember exactly. Either way, if there is a driver update available, you may want to try that.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, you may want to try switching to 32-bit Java. Doing that switches to the 32-bit version of the driver as well, and the Intel drivers are notoriously known for having different bugs in their 32- and 64-bit versions, so it could be that that effectively works around the bug. It's not a preferable solution, not only since 32-bit Java performs worse than 64-bit Java, but also because some 32-bit Intel drivers are also known for erroneously thinking that they're running out of VRAM, so you could end up just replacing one problem with another. But it's something you could try if nothing else helps.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Malacuto » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:56 pm

loftar wrote:Can you check what version of OpenGL your driver supports? I'm not sure exactly what generations of Intel graphics are covered by this, but I know that somewhere around that era, there seems to be a bug in the Intel driver that makes it not support OpenGL queries correctly, which is the reason clicking doesn't work, and I don't think there's a whole lot I can do to work around that bug. I believe the bug was indicated by the driver only supporting OpenGL 3.0 or 3.1, but I don't remember exactly. Either way, if there is a driver update available, you may want to try that.

If that doesn't get you anywhere, you may want to try switching to 32-bit Java. Doing that switches to the 32-bit version of the driver as well, and the Intel drivers are notoriously known for having different bugs in their 32- and 64-bit versions, so it could be that that effectively works around the bug. It's not a preferable solution, not only since 32-bit Java performs worse than 64-bit Java, but also because some 32-bit Intel drivers are also known for erroneously thinking that they're running out of VRAM, so you could end up just replacing one problem with another. But it's something you could try if nothing else helps.

Hello loftar, for starters thank you for replying as I assume you must be super busy with other tasks. If this link is correct, the iGPU should support OpenGL up to 4.0.
Now, if the driver itself does, it's another ball game.

Anyways, I also tried to switch to 32 bit version of Java, but all of the clients crash for some reason, only the 64 bit version works so far. And since this is a business-grade laptop we're talking about, I doubt Dell will update the drivers any further.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback so far.
Malacuto

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:51 pm

Malacuto wrote:Now, if the driver itself does, it's another ball game.

Indeed it is. I just added a "renderer" console command to the default client that you can use the check the version and stuff. Just run it, and it will dump its information to the "System" chat.
loftar

Postby Malacuto » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:40 pm

loftar wrote:
Malacuto wrote:Now, if the driver itself does, it's another ball game.

Indeed it is. I just added a "renderer" console command to the default client that you can use the check the version and stuff. Just run it, and it will dump its information to the "System" chat.

Just did it, and here's the result:

Rendering backend: JOGL 2.4.0-rc-20210111
Rendering device: Intel, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Driver version: OpenGL (4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.4885)

What I do not understand is that I'm not getting the bug in the default client, at least at the moment.
I'll report back if it happens again. This is weird...
Malacuto

Postby loftar » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:03 pm

Well, as long as it works. :)
loftar

Return to Bugs