Death by bug: Trapped on edge of land drowning from cliff

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

Re: Death by bug: Trapped on edge of land drowning from clif

Postby vatas » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:15 pm

Nernbutt wrote:
shubla wrote:Water should be dangerous.

the water was only dangerous because the game decided to anchor me in position with no recourse
I'm no carebear, this is genuinely just ridiculous

shubla is citing a literal dev response that was given after concerns were raised how drowning can kill you in unexpected/unintended ways.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MadNomad » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:35 pm

Nernbutt wrote:drowning inside of grass without the ability to swim despite high swimming skill and speed has nothing to do with being careful

you have jumped into a trap and you don't consider yourself as someone who is not careful?

you have literally won a lottery of lack of carefulness, because such spots are quite rare so one is unlikely to find one and even if they do, they are still unlikely to walk into the exact spot with cave entrance hitbox

next time don't walk blindly but instead of looking at the minimap look at your screen

by walking blindly you can also walk into some bear that you can't fight or something

Nernbutt wrote:high swimming skill

I don't know how high it actually is but seeing q10 quince and similiar items, and you carrying a master key in your inventory puts some thoughts in my head
MadNomad

Postby Nernbutt » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:15 pm

MadNomad wrote:
Nernbutt wrote:drowning inside of grass without the ability to swim despite high swimming skill and speed has nothing to do with being careful

you have jumped into a trap and you don't consider yourself as someone who is not careful?

you have literally won a lottery of lack of carefulness, because such spots are quite rare so one is unlikely to find one and even if they do, they are still unlikely to walk into the exact spot with cave entrance hitbox

next time don't walk blindly but instead of looking at the minimap look at your screen

by walking blindly you can also walk into some bear that you can't fight or something

Nernbutt wrote:high swimming skill

I don't know how high it actually is but seeing q10 quince and similiar items, and you carrying a master key in your inventory puts some thoughts in my head

we had just transferred to a new area, the quince were just grabbed for energy while terraforming and the keys are to the boats we had just used and a basic gate at the first storage shack, this is not a fresh character, it's wearing a Mask of the Green Man for christs sake.
nor was I walking blindly, I don't understand why you are trying to attack me for these things when the entire issue is that the character was frozen in spot and unable to do anything, and my 80 bonus to swimming ability from gildings and walrus boots do not come into account for swimming when your character is permanently stunlocked. :roll:
Nernbutt

Postby ctopolon4 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:21 pm

game still at alpha
devs will consider your tester expirience
here alot options to die from interesting game mechanics (you dont even seen bat dungeons and troll's cavein system)
Last edited by ctopolon4 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctopolon4

Postby DonVelD » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:22 pm

Nernbutt wrote:we had just transferred to a new area, the quince were just grabbed for energy while terraforming and the keys are to the boats we had just used and a basic gate at the first storage shack, this is not a fresh character, it's wearing a Mask of the Green Man for christs sake.
nor was I walking blindly, I don't understand why you are trying to attack me for these things when the entire issue is that the character was frozen in spot and unable to do anything, and my 80 bonus to swimming ability from gildings and walrus boots do not come into account for swimming when your character is permanently stunlocked. :roll:

Don't worry, madnomad and shubla are retards anyway
pawnchito wrote:Yikes thats rough dude. Best you can do is go ahead and scoop up that body and bury it, if you restart your character you get a portion of what you lost back. Its decent enough that it will probably help your hunger a bit and youll be back to your stats in no time. Best thing to do on a cliff by water is to turn on swimming and enter the cave hole.

Basically this ^ you can't do much except for avoiding cliffs like that & praying that devs will patch that after the 10th time fixing it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby MadNomad » Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:25 pm

Nernbutt wrote:we had just transferred to a new area, the quince were just grabbed for energy while terraforming and the keys are to the boats we had just used and a basic gate at the first storage shack, this is not a fresh character, it's wearing a Mask of the Green Man for christs sake.

oh, okay, I see, thank you for this information ¦]

Nernbutt wrote:nor was I walking blindly

is this why you were stuck in a trap? :)

Nernbutt wrote:nor was I walking blindly, I don't understand why you are trying to attack me for these things

it is not meant to be an attack but a warning that such behaviors will end up in situations like this

arguably they could have deleted hitbox of cave entrance or whatever was blocking there, but one could also argue that some part of cave entrance could block you in some way

It might indeed be quite heavy punishment for quite little mistake, but those places are not common either and not many have died because of this, achieving such death is winning quite a decent lottery indeed
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:21 pm

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Nernbutt » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:44 pm

now thats genuinely the most useful thing i've seen, now I can blame myself for not knowing I had a single escape route
if anyone else ever has this happen they can probably survive by restarting the game :roll:
Nernbutt

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:50 pm

Nernbutt wrote:

now thats genuinely the most useful thing i've seen, now I can blame myself for not knowing I had a single escape route
if anyone else ever has this happen they can probably survive by restarting the game :roll:

You can't log out while swimming, the same way you can't teleport to your hearth fire while swimming.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Darruin » Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:33 am

Reminds me, at the start of the world I spent hours wandering around and finally found a good place to set up a base. Before I was able to make a new hearthfire I got stuck between a cliff and a tree, so I had to teleport hours away. Cliffs are just a pain.
Darruin

PreviousNext

Return to Bugs