What locations do ender and official client share on a Mac

The worst monsters in the Hearthlands warp the fabric of space and time...

What locations do ender and official client share on a Mac

Postby xyzzy57 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:35 am

I'm wondering what *other* locations the ender client might share with the official client, besides $HOME/.haven/data (This would be on a Mac.)

I've got another weird crash, still on a mac, theoretically with no involvement of anything but the official client. I say "theoretically" because I don't quite believe it.

I've been very careful since my last pair of bug reports in this forum to keep 2 separate versions of $HOME/.haven One was used *only* with the official client, and the other only with the beta version of Ender's client.

Today I got a crash with the ender beta client. My version was at least one update out of date, FWIW. After reporting it on the relevant thread, I downloaded the latest version of that client, launched it, and got a different client crash. So I reported that too. (See the Ender client thread, page 229, if you want the details.)

I then moved the $HOME/.haven I'd been using with that client to $HOME/haven/ender_beta/haven_bad and restored the copy of $HOME/.haven I'd squirreled away in $HOME/haven/official_client/haven_save

I launched the official client, and tried to select the same character who had experienced the 2 ender client crashes.

I got a crash of the official client before the character's location was completely displayed.

Code: Select all
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
   at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:77)
   at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
   at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstanceWithCaller(Constructor.java:499)
   at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:480)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.getThrowableException(ForkJoinTask.java:564)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.reportException(ForkJoinTask.java:591)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.invoke(ForkJoinTask.java:689)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateParallel(ForEachOps.java:159)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateParallel(ForEachOps.java:173)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:233)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:596)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$Head.forEach(ReferencePipeline.java:765)
   at haven.OCache.ctick(OCache.java:127)
   at haven.Glob.ctick(Glob.java:148)
   at haven.GLPanel$Loop.run(GLPanel.java:366)
   at haven.JOGLPanel.run(JOGLPanel.java:246)
   at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot read field "name" because "this.b" is null
   at haven.res.ui.obj.buddy.Buddy.ctick(buddy.cjava:148)
   at haven.Gob.ctick(Gob.java:442)
   at haven.OCache.lambda$ctick$0(OCache.java:121)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.accept(ForEachOps.java:183)
   at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1625)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:509)
   at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachTask.compute(ForEachOps.java:290)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CountedCompleter.exec(CountedCompleter.java:754)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:373)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.topLevelExec(ForkJoinPool.java:1182)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.scan(ForkJoinPool.java:1655)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1622)
   at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:165)

This stack trace is essentially identical to the second crash I got with the ender beta client.

I see three possibilities here:
- ender imported a bug from the official client, yet I'm the only one to encounter it in the official client. Doesn't seem plausible
- they coincidentally both have a bug with the same symptoms, and I'm once again the only one to encounter it in the official client. That seems even less likely
- there is an additional location that's used by both the official client and the ender client, and the ender client put something there that neither of them liked. (Theoretically the culprit could be the official client, but once again, there'd be more bug reports.)

The other alternative is that I screwed up my efforts to keep the two directories completely separate, each touched by only one client. This isn't likely, but I still haven't written launch scripts that automatically save/restore the shared directories as part of launching the two clients, so it has to be considered possible.

So, question for anyone who knows: is there another shared location?

[Edited to add: the character _is_ able to log in with the official client after removing $HOME/.haven, then launching the official client.]
xyzzy57

Re: What locations do ender and official client share on a M

Postby Pills » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:15 pm

same crash as this:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75727

Affecting all clients, the cresh is located inside resource code. Its on Loftar to fix
Pills

Postby xyzzy57 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:18 pm

Pills wrote:same crash as this:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75727

Affecting all clients, the cresh is located inside resource code. Its on Loftar to fix

Thank you very much for the info. I should have looked more carefully at other recent bug reports in this forum.
xyzzy57

Postby Pills » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:32 pm

s'all good. I get this like 35% of the time attempting to log in if somebody else is on my screen. Hope they fix it soon

EDIT: scratcht hat last one, was a custom issue.
Last edited by Pills on Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pills

Postby algam » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:27 pm

I get this crash everytime I login for the first time that day in the house where I have multiple hearth fires.
It happens on all clients except nurgling

So my solution every time I forget and logout for the night in that area is to login with nurgling, move the character outside and login with Kami.
algam

Return to Bugs