The questionability of the 300% FEP hunger status

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

The questionability of the 300% FEP hunger status

Postby Archiplex » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:09 am

As it is, a freshly spawned hearthling will have 300% hunger feps. This is fine as a boost to get a character started, but honestly It might be a little bit too much. With even basic level food you can easily achieve around 50 in any stat by using foods that give sufficient stats in that area, or multiple stats in 30 within a few minutes of creating the new character. This has caused a bit of a mindset for friends of mine to arrive at a villagr after eating food and such to live, then suiciding and being fed by the village members to get a large boost in stats as they start the game. Instead of having to work to achieve 20 perception, a player can instantly have 30, and 35 intelligence, and whatever else he wishes to start with before his hunger value hits back to content stages.

I think there should definitely be something done about new hearthlings being able to start with 300% FEP gain, as it leads to situations as above where a newspawn will skyrocket in stats, overshadowing even others who have played for a week or more.

(And yes I'm making this thread because I just died from a silly mistake and have almost completely caught back up in stats already, surpassed some of my old stats and not getting stats I didn't like, and that was with just very low fep foods!)
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Re: The questionability of the 300% FEP hunger status

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 am

Could be. I've had a bit of a desire to up the pace of the game. Not sure where it ends up.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby TeckXKnight » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:21 am

Yes, we had a member die the other day and upon inheriting and feasting they instantly had better stats than they had before. 300% certainly speeds things along at the very start but beyond that, as food quality and symbel improve, it's only going to become insane. I'm imagining setting a table with silver/gold/steel symbel and a silk napkin + tablecloth and gorging on cheese. Worse, the way things are laid out it looks like it's possible to gain more than 1 stat point per FEP bar, since everything says +1 (stat). It may honestly be better to bring in a fresh alt later in the game if this persists and grow them into a cheap basher or combat alt than to aim for it on any of our current characters.
TeckXKnight

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:28 am

It was needed for purty math where time to lose a FEP level is a function of level's effectiveness, but perhaps it can be adjusted.

I can already foresee the wonderful reactions we'll get if/when we change it. #seatribeilluminaticonfirmed, #stabbingthecommunityback, #Dolchstoßlegende
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby APXEOLOG » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:34 am

You can let new chars have 100%/150% FEP, but add special buff to reduce speed of getting overwhelmed. So they can eat more food while staying at 100% FEP. but will not gain x3 bonus.

#seatribeilluminaticonfirmed
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby Arcanist » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:46 am

If the char had an inherit then it could be only 300% until they reach that inherit's levels, or until they reach 20 in any FEP or something.
Arcanist

Postby MightySheep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:54 pm

I think the 300% fresh char bonus is the only thing that keeps people playing after they die sometimes, it might be preferable to keep it for that reason alone.
MightySheep

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Depends on how crazy it actually gets in a village, I guess. I don't mind a faster pace, but there has to be some sense to it as well. I can't claim to know what the correct or best setup is. I'm open to a discussion on the subject, especially with y'all village folk.

For me as a hermit romping around with taproots and spruce caps the levels are fine. If we are to change it we should do so because it on the whole would promote a more sensible environment to do so.

Pretty much: Tell me where it should be and I'll make it so.

jorb

Postby aradar » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:31 pm

as people start dieing more and more frequently i think some will regret not having the more buffered bonus especially people who dont have as much free time or ¦] "account time" to play
aradar

Postby Yasgur » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:57 pm

I think its good where it is. Yes, a new or inherited account can almost immediately jack INT and PER, but its far better than the old inheritance where you could get killed in battle and be right back with high stats across the board.
Yasgur

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas