energy food & hunger

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

energy food & hunger

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 am

I spent like an hour running around sparring my friend at a siege today, along with cutting some trees to make catapults & regenerating some SHP. I gained about 130-140% hunger. This really doesn't matter to me at this point in the game, but to players with a bit less resources that are still grinding stats it would - and in the early game it affects everybody. So much of my early game is centered around min/maxing hunger like taking alts to do any kind of non-skilled physical labor whenever I leave the base for anything, ever. Digging dirt on 5 unsubbed/verified alts instead of my crafter/fighter. You get the idea.

I think this is a big pain point for people who don't really know what they're doing, as they get fucked by doing, well, anything - and for more experienced players it makes certain activities punishing that would otherwise be fun. Win an early game fight, but you went through two whole energy bars on sprint terrain? Legitimately wasted like 20% of the next week's potential stat growth off the back of WINNING one encounter.

I think this is something that would be very trivial to alleviate, with either a method to eat food that doesn't cost hunger or provide FEP, or just a VERY inexpensive/relatively easily bulkable/doesn't take a week to age drink that provides a lot of hunger. Or, you know, just make foods that are typically used for hunger(mushroom spits, roasthopper, odd tubers, rat on a stick, grilled frogs legs, cattail stew, butter porridge, roast meat, etc) not give FEPs or hunger.

Reducing the amount of energy burned from consuming water, especially lowQ water, and or increasing the energy gained from food might also be cool?
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: energy food & hunger

Postby Phaen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Can't you regain energy by drinking milk / tea / etc?
Phaen

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:36 pm

Phaen wrote:Can't you regain energy by drinking milk / tea / etc?

Did you know we had some fights in which we ran around for 2 hours and had to take breaks to refill 25 waterskins in the lake?

also read the whole thing
SnuggleSnail wrote:or just a VERY inexpensive/relatively easily bulkable/doesn't take a week to age drink that provides a lot of hunger.

I think the best option would be to increase the energy provided by foods, just so PVP can last 10 hours now, rather than 2. I should be able to flee on foot for 6 hours to reach my village's airlock from the other corner of the world.
Last edited by Nightdawg on Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Phaen » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:42 pm

Oh ok I thought I read the whole post but missed the last two paragraphs somehow :lol:
Phaen

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Ok I will actually not be sarcastic any more. I believe what snail suggested here to be the best option:
SnuggleSnail wrote:just make foods that are typically used for hunger(mushroom spits, roasthopper, odd tubers, rat on a stick, grilled frogs legs, cattail stew, butter porridge, roast meat, etc) not give FEPs or hunger.

Please loftar.

This won't break/change any PVP META, it won't make anything more annoying that it already is, there won't be extra downsides for people that don't play 18 hours per day cause they have a life and it fixes your permanent problem with the miners.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Sephiron » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:19 pm

boiled odds, fruit sorbet, highq grape juice, roasthopper
I mean literally at this point all I do is survey and build and I don't play with alts.

But yeah I can imagine plenty of new players get on, build a couple things, run out of energy, fail to understand how the system works(because let's be honest it makes no sense), and never play the game again. And yeah imagine not being verified/subbed and trying to do anything worth your time.

Maybe make a non-localized salt resource you can get as a byproduct of distilling salt water, or as a byproduct of boiling saltwater and making the buff on localized salt crystals higher

+1
Sephiron

Postby tegoplplpl » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:15 pm

+1
Theres already flower menu with one option for food and its "eat", maybe there should be second option "eat for energy".
tegoplplpl

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:38 am

Nightdawg wrote:This won't break/change any PVP META, it won't make anything more annoying that it already is, there won't be extra downsides for people that don't play 18 hours per day cause they have a life and it fixes your permanent problem with the miners.

IMO, it would be a great improvement for PVPers, but I don't think that's the core problem, TBH. The hunger system is presumably only really there to stop automation from going too rampant, but if anything it predominately hurts inexperienced people, or those who refuse to game the system with alts. I'm glad it's there in general for anti-botting purposes, but it doesn't need to fuck over miners & people that want to cut more than 5 trees with a stone axe early world before their hunger is fucked.

There have been occasions early game when we've had a bad table & I've already eaten all of my FEP food, but I've gotten low energy again just from running on forest terrain for a bit and my best solution it literally to logout and play another character. A game mechanic that actively discourages you from playing the game is self-evidently bad, but there are lots of solutions for retaining the survival & anti-botting elements of the hunger system while having it not so badly impact regular play.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:00 pm

it doesn't even stop botting and if anything has encouraged mass alting. I have no fucking idea why energy is still in the game it's such a trash mechanic.
if jorb wants to keep energy for its stupid survival gimmick then just turn it into a passive drain while you play.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:01 pm

Making character progression inhibited by playing the game is bad. There needs to be an option to have bad thing not happen.
DDDsDD999

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas