Let us destroy caves & natural water springs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Let us destroy caves & natural water springs

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:10 am

For all the same reasons you eventually decided to make fox burrows bashable. A large part of the reason you guys are working on OCO is freeform building & opening up room for creativity. Immovable objects restrict that a lot.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Re: Let us destroy caves & natural water springs

Postby Southpaw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:25 am

jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby mvgulik » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:39 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:For all the same reasons you eventually decided to make fox burrows bashable.

And those reasons are ... !?!
mvgulik

Postby jordancoles » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 am

mvgulik wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:For all the same reasons you eventually decided to make fox burrows bashable.

And those reasons are ... !?!

I would destroy every cave on a mountain or deny entire continents of a free entrance to lvl 1

My old continent for example only had 3-4 cave entrances total. It would be pretty easy to go around removing them just to be a dick, which I'm sure is part of the plan here.

Watersprings are whatever, but destroying caves would be a direct line to griefing areas early on (depending on the STR requirement but even still whatever number you set would be trivial over a long world).
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Southpaw » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:52 am

I think destroying caves would heavily imply some sort of resource or strength investment.
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:44 am

jordancoles wrote:I would destroy every cave on a mountain or deny entire continents of a free entrance to lvl 1

As a far more motivated griefer than you I don't believe you would do wholemeal cave removal for areas to any significant degree. Maybe bash one or two adjacent to people's bases that they're clearly using at most. If your entire continent only had 4 caves you could've just put pclaims in front of them. It would've been a 30 minute task if the time includes making alts specifically for it.

Even if that's a significant fear, I would personally rather a minor setback in the early game over having a bunch of bullshit in my village stopping me from making it to my desired specifications. The only time I see it really fucking people over is super early on when they're still living out of a cave - which I see as more of a speedrun strat than something regular players will be doing all throughout the world.

To alleviate that it could require either being claimed, just more strength than people will have 2 weeks in (20-25 soak), require a siege engine, require a shovel over a certain quality(100-200), or be reversible within a certain timeframe.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:24 pm

could also allow us to open caves in cliffs when u unlock mining to counter indestructible cave bases hehe
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby frusby » Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:46 pm

+1

Maybe reducing the cost of mineholes to lvl1 could help if anyone's worried about griefing, or would that cause more issues than it fixes?
frusby

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:02 pm

Given the premises presented here about "freeform building," it leads to making the huge leap (maybe not so huge) to the assumption that it would come at the same time as being able to build cliffs and dig a cave in through a cliff side rather than relying on mineholes to access the first cave level.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Return to Critique & Ideas