Non-fungible tokens / cryptogaming

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Non-fungible tokens / cryptogaming

Postby maze » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Pretty much how NFT art works. BUT he is missing one thing! whoever owns the NFT owns that arrangement of pixels.
But honestly I agree wtf?

It works for games because you limit the amount of items and then put it out that only 100 of those hats can ever exist in cyberspace.
But honestly another bullshit because if you own a hat in a game, no other game has to let you bring your hat over (there is some NFT games that allow any NFT...)
But... it all makes no fking sense!
WARNING! MY ENGISH SUCKS.
game ideas
maze

Postby VDZ » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:09 pm

I remember Extra Credits being better than this...the video is kind of stupid, all of those things save for cryptomining on the end-user's PC can be done without blockchain, and we already have a word for software that mines cryptocurrency on end-user PCs: malware. Even in the unlikely case you could convince people to run your malware, every single antivirus blocking it would prevent the game from ever becoming commercially viable.

vatas wrote:TL;DR: on the video I linked above, theoretically you could create in-game items that not even the devs could duplicate.

Only in theory; in practice the devs can just create another super-legendary sword that displays the same history and has the same stats and name, and to end-users it would be indistinguishable. And even if it were actually possible, I don't think it's actually a good idea to have game elements outside the control of the developers. The developers' task is to adjust the game to give a better experience to players. Hindering them by making things inaccessible to them can only lead to problems.
VDZ

Postby mvgulik » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:04 am

lol. NFT's: Capitalism at its finest.

Enjoy the future, its looking brightly ... hot.
(Don't worry. Where probably not the first, or last for that matter, semi technological-advanced, but still socially-retarded, species that did not make it out of the capitalist trap)
mvgulik

Add crypto in this game.

Postby eewww » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:28 am

Hello guys. I been playing this game almost all 2020 and so i somewhat missed start of bullrun )) Here i came back to say one thing - future of any kind of games is P2E, blockchain, NFT. Yet you can see how shitty these p2e games looks now and how much money they attract. In your case you can add such feature (some kind of token or sell ingame items as NFT) and receive HUGE new income. Look into this guys.
ттт.jpg
ттт.jpg (107.36 KiB) Viewed 281 times
eewww

Re: Add crypto in this game.

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:27 am

eewww wrote:future of any kind of games is P2E

Someone said that 20 years ago, and still hasn't really materialized.

And until the power and supply chain issues for running crypto are fixed, it's a pipe dream.

Also, since this just came up this year, merged with the more or less identical thread.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Re: Add crypto in this game.

Postby eewww » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:57 am

MagicManICT wrote:
eewww wrote:future of any kind of games is P2E

Someone said that 20 years ago, and still hasn't really materialized.

Yea sure. Just go to youtube and check how much people earn playing axie infinity.
Im not wasted a hour playing regular games this year and this is how future of gameFi looks like.
eewww

Postby eewww » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:04 am

Ants wrote: It would bring publicity to H&H and would give players the opportunity to openly turn their investments into real money instead of resorting to the not-so-secret discord hat black market.

You should listen to that guy back there. Only with these NFT hats this game can receive stream of new players )) But looks like 90 players (half of which are twinks) is enought for you.
eewww

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:15 pm

And until the power and supply chain issues for running crypto are fixed, it's a pipe dream.

They will not be fixed. They are inherently built into the system and core requirement for such to work at all.

The whole bitcoin style blockchain thing is based on "voting".

First you solve a hard to compute problem, then you can add new block to the chain which can contain whatever you want, as long as it follows the rules of the blockchain. No rule obliges you for example to add all new transactions into the chain. You could leave them out, this would halt the transactions and bitcoin as a currency would not work. Even in normal rule-obliging operation you could diverge the blockchain into two separate "histories". To prevent this, the longest blockchain is chosen as a "master" blockchain. And the "master" blockchain will obey the rules, based on the fact that most people (much more than 51%) doing the computing will add "proper" blocks, so eventually with quite high probability, the longest chain will be one with most "proper" blocks being contributed to it and transactions work with no problems.

This is why its called de-centralized, there is no one person or institution who decides which transactions should be added, which not, or one guy who chooses which version of the chain is the master chain.

Now this whole thing is because it is very difficult to compute those hard problems. So one person cannot easily get majority of computing power in the blockchain. Because if he would, he could just prevent all or some part of transactions which would ruin bitcoin as a currency.

So now if it was easier to "mine" bitcoin, say you would consume much less electricity and need a lot less hardware to do it, somebody could easily purchase enough computers to take more than 51% of the chain and then prevent the normal operation making it completely useless.

For bitcoin or any cryptocurrency to remain truly de-centralized, only way is to use fuck-ton of electricity and fuck-ton of hardware to maintain it!
You could in theory change the "Voting ticket" to be something else than hard to compute problem. I think some suggestions have been to base voting power on how many coins you have, but that doesn't sound very good to me giving all the power to the rich ¦] I think there are also some that instead of doing intensive computing do intensive I/O requiring a lot of HDD, but that won't really change the issue because you still need electricity and hardware for that.

Of course you could have some really trusted people or institutions chosen as oracles who will do the handling of transactions with low electricity costs and high reliability, oh or wait we have banks for that already.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby telum12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:06 pm

This is dumb. You're creating a problem and presenting a faux solution. Devs control the server. They could duplicate items regardless of what some ledger says, since ledgers hold no power except for the power you give them.

For example, if you own an NFT but no copyright to the content, it says nothing except the fact that you paid money for it. If an established power-structure does not recognize that as ownership, it does nothing. There's no magic involved. If you do own the copyright, the NFT has nothing to do with that, since the power given by copyrights does not come from NFTs.

The devs creating a convoluted process for selling a limited amount of items is no different from them just saying "we're only selling x of these hats," since they can circumvent any such process regardless. You have to trust in the centralised power structure, NFT or no NFT.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Hidden button due to tall image

Postby vatas » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:28 pm

The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas