EASY FIX TO MINING

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: EASY FIX TO MINING

Postby bumfrog » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:37 pm

uhhh, the game is supposed to be hard sweatie. Have you tried getting good?

-person who has never placed a minehole in their life
bumfrog
Under curfew

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:17 pm

wonder-ass wrote:the boreworms deserve to win sometimes

Unironically this
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Zentetsuken » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:27 pm

lordgrunt wrote:as a footnote: 4 boreworms jumping from all directions, took them 5-6 seconds to down me:

don't the boreworms deserve a chance to win?
Zentetsuken

Postby pawnchito » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:41 pm

Boreworms aint that bad. getting surrounded by 15 slime and not being able to move sucks. Cant afk mine much anymore though because shit can get hairy if you arent reacting quick.
pawnchito

Postby vatas » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:42 pm

Recruiting miners in w20:
SOURCE
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby r0ck4ev3r » Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:57 am

I'll throw my two cents in.

Point 1: The variance of some areas is definitely to large of a swing; but, some +/- x around the node Q is fine.

Point 2: No way should this be removed out right; How else can I collect rocks for my garden or craft rune stones of rock types not in the overworld? I could see Quarryman and Miner each reducing some chance of boulders dropping.

Point 3: Ya, something is fucked on the support system; If you pulverize one "cave in" tile it drops supports in a flash.

Point 4 & 5: Getting blocked by mobs is annoying; yet, the risk of spawns while mining/spelunking is a great mechanic- I wouldn't remove it. (Blocking and combat is a whole topic in itself- maybe some kind of hearth-magic exp-waster to bull-rush pushing a non-player back a tile or something)

Point 6: Regional distribution of nodes/tiles this world is horrid, not just ore but the overworld as well.
"Don't just have an idea- have all of them." ~ Niv-Mizzet
r0ck4ev3r

Postby Clemins » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:27 am

r0ck4ev3r wrote:Point 4 & 5: Getting blocked by mobs is annoying; yet, the risk of spawns while mining/spelunking is a great mechanic- I wouldn't remove it. (Blocking and combat is a whole topic in itself- maybe some kind of hearth-magic exp-waster to bull-rush pushing a non-player back a tile or something)

The chance of slimes/worms spawn on like level 4 should be the maximum (or no worms from mining cave walls like OP's suggestion + less slimes on lower levels) in my opinion. I don't know the exact % chance of a tile causing slimes/worms to spawn, but on the lower 3ish levels, it happens so much that it soaks a sizeable part of the "fun" out of mining for me and a bunch of miners I know. I miss mining around w10-11 when I didn't have to baby sit my screen with my hand over my weapon like I'm walking from the bank in downtown Detroit.

Quick personal gripe:

One of the biggest letdowns for our village this world was getting to L9 before everyone else (lead the minepyre timer) and getting the most mediocre stone and ore we've ever seen at that level. The stone was all similar Q to L7-8 if we got lucky... And don't even get me started with the ore... Fucking ALL chalcopyrite and malachite as far as the eye could see. But not only that, the vast majority of it was ALL ~35q-120q (with a tendency to float around 40q-60q)...

I wish I was making that up. L9 mining is very stupid or we got super unlucky.

The Q variance on all other levels is way too wide too, definitly needs more consistency.

And to reiterate the mantra, Remove bolders, or make it a toggle w/quarryman.

Signed with love and kisses,
W14 miners who played longer than a month and would like to smooth out our future indentured servitude.
Clemins

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:23 pm

Yeah on that point they definitely need to set a minimum quality of ore/stone that increases the lower you go down. It feels so ridiculous to find ore that you would think is trash on L3 on L9.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby vatas » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:42 pm

r0ck4ev3r wrote:Point 2: No way should this be removed out right; How else can I collect rocks for my garden or craft rune stones of rock types not in the overworld?

Easy access to boulders is a good thing. Boulders interfering with built-in area mining is a very bad thing. There should simply be a toggle that you have to turn on to get boulders as a stop-gap solution.

r0ck4ev3r wrote:I could see Quarryman and Miner each reducing some chance of boulders dropping.

NO NO NO
NO NO NO
NO NO NO

This is the WORST possible way to address this thing. You would still have no effective access to the built-in click reduction when mining, but also have harder time of getting a boulder when you actually need one.

I have to ask if you are serious or trolling/satire.

If Jorb implements this I will consider actually quitting for good. (In a vacuum this change wouldn't be that horrible, but if you specifically read a this thread, filled with valid criticism, and cherrypick the single dumbest thing to spend dev time on, I will lose all hope.)

===
Content Warning: "Cacophony"
Quarryman or Miner could interact with my preferred solution added later, separate "mine boulder" -action. Anyone with Tunneling can do that action, but it comes with hefty penalties to mining speed and power that are reduced by aforementioned Credos. This doesn't have to be hamfisted into Credo bonuses directly, the "Mine boulder" tooltip could tell that Quarrymen get only 50% of the penalty and Miners get none.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby benisalt1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:44 am

SlicingTheMoon wrote:So the solution should be as long you have stats and equipment you can just infinitively mine?

eh why not? i bet people like you enjoy mobile games and labor points in archeage
benisalt1

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas