Separate Q scaling for PVP and PVE

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Separate Q scaling for PVP and PVE

Postby linkfanpc » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:24 am

I've been up for way too long but i was just sitting on break at work and thought to myself, what if combat related equipment stats, namely the damage of weapons and armor grade of armors, scaled differently if your current combat relation is a PvE or PvP scenario.

IE the scaling is reduced to 10% in PvP, so a Q40 sword won't deal 2x damage, it would deal 1.2x damage. And same with armor class. You could even go as far as to do the same with all STR/AGI/CON/UA/MC/MK gildings.

This would simply work like the "factor of 2" combat stat change does, in that it bridges the massive stat gap between players and makes all PvP combat more equalized EXCEPT at ridiculously massive differences (noobs gotta die) a little similar to how some souls games do it.

So armor and weapons still feel very satisfying to increase in quality when doing any kind of hunting but immediately become less overpowering when it's a player you're directly attacking OR directly getting attacked by.

Early world, at the first winter, me and my friends went to a noob's base because he said some people got into his walls via his cave (LOL) and we were gonna go help him. We get there and it ends up being a 2v1 (me and my buddy being the 2) and we easily reached the 2 factor stat gap.

HOWEVER this was a big macho faction player and they dealt like 55 damage with a quick barrage at like 9% red opening (this was at like week 5-6 or whatever of the world so yeah rip) and so my buddy hightaled it outta there and i got my ass thwacked.

That fight would have felt a lot more fun and a lot less shtewpid if it wasn't for the fact that dude was rocking a qwazy quality sword and armor we couldn't scratch simply due to nolifeing, me and my friend were using q50 gear and still got absolutely decimated.

I feel like taking ALL PvP mechanics and making them try a fair bit to level the playing field in ALL scenarios is a good idea EXCEPT a 100+ stat 60+ qual char fighting a spruce cap or a 500+ stat 300+ qual char fighting a widdle hermit. That's TOTALLY FINE and FAIR and i would never complain about that but me and my friend worked really hard on our stats and gear but still got beat because weapon damage and armor class scales kinda crazy imo.

Just a thought. Im very tired im sure there's a good reason this wouldn't work im not realizing right now its just a thought.
Waiting for something to happen? Everything is going to be okay.
jorb wrote:Hitting a "Ghejejiiwlonk" with your "Umappawoozle" for eightyfifteen points of "Sharmakookel", simply makes no sense.

W7: Semi-Hermit
W8: Semi-Hermit
W9-13: Lawspeaker of villages of myself-4 people.

There's SOMETHING behind you.
linkfanpc

Re: Separate Q scaling for PVP and PVE

Postby Clemins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:22 am

I think I see what you mean, but I don't think adjusting the gear numbers to "equalize" the people who 24/7 the Q/Stat gain as much as I think you're suggesting this would.

I'll talk a little in regard of a "big macho faction player". I held very relevant "PVP stats and gear" for the entirety of the time I was playing this world, and I STILL got doubled by a handful of people. Firstly, that's not too shocking, some people just have more time to play and grind stats, and it's usually the same bunch of individuals. In "big boi" fights, being doubled by 1 guy isn't a big deal. Once it's recognized and called out we usually play accordingly and fight more carefully (IE: Focus on said person or avoid said person).

But anways...

The problem with your suggestion is, no matter what, the person who spends the more time focused on building/maintaining a pvp character will have an advantage either way, even if it's small. Don't get me wrong, I think putting more work and time in the game should definitely have a rewarding advantage. But, evening out the Q-damage and Q-AC defense + combat relevant stats, besides the already balanced UA/MC mechanic, sounds like a huge can of worms that requires more hard numbers to make an informed decision if that's a route the devs considar. A suggestion posted here awhile ago, and still occasionally, is to have a separate LP pool specifically for UA/MC/MM so the people who want to have an industry job can ALSO fight as well as anyone else who puts in similar time/work into the game, but:

At this point in time, I am not confident the Devs understand the state of PVP enough to start playing with the numbers approach the stat gap by adding more equalization.

I agree something needs to be changed/adjusted, but the devs need to be super careful else we might almost get gem slotted armor again. ;)
Last edited by Clemins on Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clemins

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 am

I don't think this would work, simply because the devs literally lack the experience or knowledge to try to balance this.

You know what's retarded in pvp? When punching someone does more damage than a b12 cleave.
In time, stats scale stupid compared to armor quality, making UA attacks better than MC attacks because of that retarded 40% armor pen. If the armor/weapon damage will be scaled down in pvp, the stats imbalance will show up even sooner.

Honestly the only way for the devs to change something and not obnoxiously fuck pvp would be adding rolling stat caps.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Frantianno228 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:09 am

the best way i guess is add ~1000 stat cap for player vs player and no stat cap for animals
like u still can make thousand of stats and go solo beaver dungeon but if u have to fight enemy your stats will be same as his stats
same with armor i guess idk
My discord -> Frantianno#0620
My youtube channel ->
Frantianno228

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:45 pm

Frantianno228 wrote:the best way i guess is add ~1000 stat cap for player vs player and no stat cap for animals
like u still can make thousand of stats and go solo beaver dungeon but if u have to fight enemy your stats will be same as his stats

This sounds ok too, I guess, especially with how gear scales at the moment.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby vatas » Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:13 pm

Frantianno228 wrote:the best way i guess is add ~1000 stat cap for player vs player and no stat cap for animals

This is actually an S-tier idea imho.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Clemins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:13 pm

Yeah, another +1 for a stat ceiling (specifically in PVP), rolling or otherwise.

Besides the stat gap in super grindy people and more casual players, this would actually make me more willing to return late into the world to goof off some more knowing the people who didn't stop playing won't have 3x my stats.
Clemins

Postby wonder-ass » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:12 pm

a lot of content in this game is trivial to fix, its simply not how they want to design their game.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby donbot » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:40 pm

just make pvp less about the grind and more about just enjoying pvp because that's the fun part :D

this world the grind was the worst its ever been
What amazes me more than how light the punishment was, is how nothing was done about it ingame. I'm actually starting to think people are frightened that you'll do it again, so to protect the server, they work with you instead of going against you, all in the hopes that you will leave the server alone.
donbot
Under curfew

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:07 pm

Nah I think they should make it so you can put gems in armor.
DDDsDD999

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas