A paradigm shift

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: A paradigm shift

Postby Antvgr » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:19 am

Kamekono wrote:I don't mind the idea, but I don't think it would work as Bob Dole sees it.

While it might be a good incentive for pvpers to stick around, I doubt it would bring many non-pvpers into the pvp world.
I'm one of those who doesn't do pvp. I dislike haven's combat system, I find it extremely boring and I hate the bs around custom clients, critters, and endless drinking.
As such, a pvp tournament would do nothing for me. I know I wouldn't stand a chance against any of the people who usually do pvp, so I wouldn't waste my time just to get my ass handed to me.

So while I'm not against it, since it doesn't really hinder me in any way, I don't think it would incentivise non-pvp players to learn how to, or even join, world pvp.

I think shorter worlds are the easiest fix right now. Big villages get to end content within a month or two. By month 4, market prices are so low that almost any player will either have reached the end-game content by themselves or have the ability to trade for it.
I'd say a 4-5 months world is more than enough. An insanely small amount of players play throughout a whole year, and most of those who come back after a few months quit again in a week or so.

I do like the idea of two worlds, a slow and a fast one, which might solve a lot of issues.

H&H combat system is actually fun and novel. I rather like it. For PvE that is. PvP combat with running, drinking, bunny slippers and whatever is BS alright.
But I agree with main idea. Me and most players i know around like to play peacefully, upgrade village, explore. PvP tournaments or somesuch is of no interest. That said if it's something that will be contained only for willing PvPers who will bash it out with each other and not bother others - why not?
Antvgr

Postby TerraSleet » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:44 pm

Antvgr wrote:H&H combat system is actually fun and novel. I rather like it. For PvE that is. PvP combat with running, drinking, bunny slippers and whatever is BS alright.
But I agree with main idea. Me and most players i know around like to play peacefully, upgrade village, explore. PvP tournaments or somesuch is of no interest. That said if it's something that will be contained only for willing PvPers who will bash it out with each other and not bother others - why not?

It's novel, until you realise that 80% of the PVE can be cheesed through various methods and the remaining 20% are stat checks. It's fun to play with but ultimately pointless when you can abuse the AI in numerous ways and Punch / Shoot things to death. It only serves PvPers and even that is debatable as Bob Dole points out, the barrier to entry is so high that there are literally like 10 people that actively seek out fights and most of them spend their time griefing sprucecaps with no consequence. You can only fight the same 10 people for so long until you get tired of it.
TerraSleet

Postby Antvgr » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:57 pm

TerraSleet wrote:
Antvgr wrote:H&H combat system is actually fun and novel. I rather like it. For PvE that is. PvP combat with running, drinking, bunny slippers and whatever is BS alright.

It's novel, until you realise that 80% of the PVE can be cheesed through various methods and the remaining 20% are stat checks. It's fun to play with but ultimately pointless when you can abuse the AI in numerous ways and Punch / Shoot things to death. It only serves PvPers and even that is debatable as Bob Dole points out, the barrier to entry is so high that there are literally like 10 people that actively seek out fights and most of them spend their time griefing sprucecaps with no consequence. You can only fight the same 10 people for so long until you get tired of it.

Oh, I do realise there are many bad cheeses. I think the biggest one is that monsters reagro after fleeing on clicking them. I read about that from threads of years ago and don't understand why that haven't been fixed. Like e.g. make them flee for a minute at least or something, so that you have to track them by blood. Building fences is arguably okay, thats how some tribes hunted, though i would say it would be better if devs introduced traps instead.
Antvgr

Postby overtyped » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:25 pm

Antvgr wrote:
TerraSleet wrote:

Oh, I do realise there are many bad cheeses. I think the biggest one is that monsters reagro after fleeing on clicking them. I read about that from threads of years ago and don't understand why that haven't been fixed. Like e.g. make them flee for a minute at least or something, so that you have to track them by blood. Building fences is arguably okay, thats how some tribes hunted, though i would say it would be better if devs introduced traps instead.

Fixing that would be pointless and only hurt hermits as factions don't hunt that way. They rely on bots to log in every 20 min to check a node, once a node is checked and a mob is present, a warrior logs in, and drags the mob into a palisade and executes it. That's how mammoths are hunted.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby sur » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:07 pm

PvP skills could use a boost in Haven. Those tournaments you're talking about sound super cool. They'd not only teach people how to fight but also keep the hardcore players interested.
sur

Postby Justforthis » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:51 pm

+1 for the Tournament idea. But weekly with a hat every week is unrealistic, unless it's literally 1 singular hat out of the many that have been, even ones that are no longer available. And sometimes repeat the hats, devs aren't gonna design a hat every week (those days are past).

Maybe bi-weekly or monthly.
You don't love something despite its flaws, you love it because of its flaws. Something that isn't flawed isn't meant to be loved.

Perfect things allow only for indulgence, never love.
Justforthis

Postby terechgracz » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm

In Haven and Hearth, a "paradigm shift" refers to a specific combat move that players can utilize during combat encounters. It's a technique that allows players to shift their combat stance, potentially gaining an advantage or disrupting their opponent's strategy.

The exact mechanics and effects of a paradigm shift may vary depending on the game's updates and balance changes. However, it typically involves a tactical maneuver that can influence the flow of combat by altering the player's positioning, defense, or attack strategy.

In essence, a paradigm shift in Haven and Hearth represents a significant change in approach or strategy within the context of combat, potentially leading to a shift in the outcome of the battle.
terechgracz

Postby overtyped » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:22 pm

terechgracz wrote:In Haven and Hearth, a "paradigm shift" refers to a specific combat move that players can utilize during combat encounters. It's a technique that allows players to shift their combat stance, potentially gaining an advantage or disrupting their opponent's strategy.

The exact mechanics and effects of a paradigm shift may vary depending on the game's updates and balance changes. However, it typically involves a tactical maneuver that can influence the flow of combat by altering the player's positioning, defense, or attack strategy.

In essence, a paradigm shift in Haven and Hearth represents a significant change in approach or strategy within the context of combat, potentially leading to a shift in the outcome of the battle.

Whatever you say chatgpt

sur wrote:PvP skills could use a boost in Haven. Those tournaments you're talking about sound super cool. They'd not only teach people how to fight but also keep the hardcore players interested.

With that post count, and the way you talk... you aren't my alt, are you?
overtyped

Postby MightySheep » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 pm

overtyped wrote:Haven has one of the best combat systems out of any game

It has the worst combat system out of any game, 2nd only to Wurm online. Unless storm of swords still hasnt been fixed then its even worse than wurm online.

Not a fan of the idea because arranged pvp fights in this game are just dull and frankly whats the point of devs catering to PvP players when you can count them on 1 hand these days. The devs should honestly just go in a full PvE direction. Too many new worlds start with a list of changes related to pvp which makes no sense when thats not even who makes up 90% of the playerbase.
MightySheep

Postby overtyped » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 pm

MightySheep wrote:
overtyped wrote:Haven has one of the best combat systems out of any game

It has the worst combat system out of any game

Preferences are subjective.
overtyped

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas