make animals...

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: make animals...

Postby vatas » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:17 pm

Liss12 wrote:I feel that making animals drop EXP will start botted massacre extravaganza.

To me, advanced players leaving around animal corpses where they died so less advanced players can scavenge them, is a feature.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby MadNomad » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:52 pm

Liss12 wrote:I feel that making animals drop EXP will start botted massacre extravaganza.

but just imagine that when you will be in need of EXP that will last for some time you will only have to hunt down one mammoth and you will be fine for a decent amount of time
and it's not like those people more advanced than you do not have more than enough exp without that

vatas wrote:To me, advanced players leaving around animal corpses where they died so less advanced players can scavenge them, is a feature.

this is only another good thing and a reason to do as I said
MadNomad

Postby lordgrunt » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:17 pm

+1, to avoid botting, make exp gains have diminishing returns after 10 or so animals killed per day
lordgrunt

Postby MadNomad » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:26 pm

lordgrunt wrote:make exp gains have diminishing returns after 10 or so animals killed per day

good idea, currently we have diminishing returns instantly, but if we had them only after some certain number, it would make hunting some smaller animals for EXP worth the effort
perhaps 10 is a little bit low number on the other hand, I think it should be like 50 for animals that have the size from smallest to the size of bear / moose (for those two maybe it should be 30), but for bigger animals/creatures such as mammoth/whale/orca/troll the number could be 10 or 5 or 3 (perhaps 10 for mammoth, 5 for orca, 3 for troll and whale?)

since bat might be(and most probably is) quite mass-hunted(because of wings) animal for some, for those maybe this number should be like 200

each number should of course be separate for each animal, just like it works now
MadNomad

Postby Liss12 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:27 am

Current EXP system rewards you for doing a lot of different activities, you propose a system that rewards repeating same activity over and over again. This clearly contradicts devs vision.
Liss12

Postby Pills » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:15 am

Liss12 wrote:Current EXP system rewards you for doing a lot of different activities, you propose a system that rewards repeating same activity over and over again. This clearly contradicts devs vision.

Nah LP rewards from wild animals sucks ass, would be way better as XP and more rewarding for everybody.
Pills

Postby MadNomad » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:07 pm

Liss12 wrote:system that rewards repeating same activity over and over again. This clearly contradicts devs vision.

tell them to remove quality from the game then

improving quality is something that requires repeating activities
MadNomad

Postby vatas » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:14 pm

You could perhaps hold (not arguing for exact numbers, but ratio and general example) a 1000xp quota for xp gained from killing wild animals and restore 100xp worth of it every RL day.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:25 pm

I don't think you guys need to care about the balance of XP income from these kinds of activities. Botting it will always be lower yield and higher effort than abusing dummy realms. Likewise, there's isn't much of a difference in effectiveness between earning 10k or 1m XP/day.

In general XP should probably be much easier to obtain. I suspect the only reason it hasn't been complained about much more heavily is because the PVP bois/loud forum people who care about balance generally have access to realm perks, which usually nullifies the need for other sources of XP.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MadNomad » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:38 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:there isn't much of a difference in effectiveness between earning 10k or 1m XP/day.

there is, because you can use a lot of leftover EXP (if you have it, I don't think many people do) to use dig deeper hearth magic, so whether or not you have good quality water depends heavily on your amount of EXP

but it is a good thing because we should be rewarded for doing things, and this hearth magic is quite expensive for a low increase in water quality anyway (but surely you could have stacked a lot of low increases into one that is big)

I remember once collecting like 20K exp and I was the only person who had that much out of many people I knew in game, but it's not like I did not end up in situations after some time where I had to go spend a lot of time questing because I ran out of EXP just to keep studying
MadNomad

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas