On Raiders and The New Mechanic

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

On Raiders and The New Mechanic

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 pm

<See Conversation Below>
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Re: Roads and Transportation/Teleportation

Postby Óðinn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:14 pm

Why not remove raiding completely? I mean, it just impedes peoples fun anyway right.
/sarcasm
Óðinn

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:20 pm

Óðinn wrote:Why not remove raiding completely? I mean, it just impedes peoples fun anyway right.
/sarcasm

No, it really doesn't, but how much they can capture and run away with should be mitigated by what they can carry. It will limit the impact a raid can have by how many and how organized they are. Otherwise it's just hearth hearth poof no consequences no chase unless they're there.

I'm still waiting to see if the 'no log off with active scents' sticks. Though it doesn't change anything if they just hearth back to their secure location.

The point of this would be to have raiders have areas they frequent and attack, places close to their home, or organized raiding parties, rather than just "wander to the best place then hearth back across the entire map to their place of safety."

You want to raid on the road, raid on the road.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Óðinn » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:26 pm

This will just lead to more items vanishing as they can't take it, so they dump it on the ground or staight up bash it. :/ It doesn't help anyone - not the raider or the one that owns it.
Óðinn

Postby Ragnar214 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:52 pm

Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
Óðinn wrote:Why not remove raiding completely? I mean, it just impedes peoples fun anyway right.
/sarcasm

No, it really doesn't, but how much they can capture and run away with should be mitigated by what they can carry. It will limit the impact a raid can have by how many and how organized they are. Otherwise it's just hearth hearth poof no consequences no chase unless they're there.

I'm still waiting to see if the 'no log off with active scents' sticks. Though it doesn't change anything if they just hearth back to their secure location.

The point of this would be to have raiders have areas they frequent and attack, places close to their home, or organized raiding parties, rather than just "wander to the best place then hearth back across the entire map to their place of safety."

I like your idea. I was also thinking the same thing since HnH 1
Ragnar214

Postby overtyped » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 pm

Ragnar214 wrote:
Lunarius_Haberdash wrote:
/sarcasm

I like your idea. I was also thinking the same thing since HnH 1

salem did this, and thats why its shit.
Bob Dole, world first Whale Killer! viewtopic.php?f=80&t=75087
overtyped

Postby drowned » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:19 am

Cash shop tokens that let you start at another players location?
drowned

Postby aikidragon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 am

drowned wrote:Cash shop tokens that let you start at another players location?

The devil has spoken. Pay2Win is obviously not the way to go.
aikidragon

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:26 am

overtyped wrote:salem did this, and thats why its shit.

Aside from the fact that raiders hate it, care to explain why this makes it shit?

Also: RE: Raiders dropping and breaking a bunch of shit. Yes, that happens anyway, so it doesn't address (nor was it meant to) that issue.

The most important part of this is the inability to FLEE from the scene without crossing land and a chase ensuing. Present W7 system is shit, I'm looking right at you, and you vanish like a ghost just because I can't click fast enough to start combat?

THAT is a shit mechanic.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby Audiosmurf » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 am

It sounds like that would just make the game less fun for the sake of making the game less fun. I like exploring/foraging/mapping, and if I'm restricted in doing so by the fact that I either have to walk all the way home or ditch my boat it would significantly impact my interest in the game. There might be some merit to the idea with regard to making escaping with raid spoils a little tougher than poofing, but complete removal is a really bad idea IMO.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas