Suggestion on indirectly nerfing bats

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Suggestion on indirectly nerfing bats

Postby ZanDak » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:50 pm

Personally I find bats very manageable to deal with but I recognise that they are a pain for those who are ill prepare so my suggestion is instead of directly nerfing bat stats and behaviours how about you change the spawning conditions. If you have it that light from fires reduces bats spawn rate within the area of the fire lets say 5-8 blocks. This would mean while you are online as long as the fires are kept lit you are safer from the bats and can do you daily tasks and whatnots at a small cost of wood but vice versa if you go off the next day you will have to start it again if you are alone or if you are part of a group or village you might have people on that can keep tabs on it. This also adds the idea that if the fire goes out because someone neglected the fire that it could be considered more the persons fault for letting the bats spawn rather than the devs being unfair and having it out for you.

Now, I really don't know much bats or the spawning of animals and as far as I know something like this could already exist, if this is the case ignore this post but if this is an idea that could be added to the game please feel free to add to this discussion.
ZanDak

Re: Suggestion on indirectly nerfing bats

Postby Haba » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:05 pm

And bats shouldn't be spawning on top of the cave entrance. They should be something you run into in the deeper parts of the cave.
Haba

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Haba wrote:And bats shouldn't be spawning on top of the cave entrance. They should be something you run into in the deeper parts of the cave.

Arguably.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Orcling » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:38 pm

At night, bats should not just hang around in trees, they should actively fly around and hunt insects~
Or players, for that matter.
Orcling

Postby jorb » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:47 pm

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the show "Airwolf"? No reason.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Ocerion » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 pm

jorb wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone remember the show "Airwolf"? No reason.

Thanks Jorb, now I am never NOT going to hear that shows theme song when fighting bats.
Ocerion

Postby LadyV » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:07 pm

jorb wrote:Speaking of which, does anyone remember the show "Airwolf"? No reason.

Yes I used to watch it. :)

As for bats...yes fires should keep them at bay.
LadyV

Postby Grognak » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:29 pm

Perhaps an equipable torch that causes bats to flee?
Grognak

Postby Granger » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:20 pm

In case bats are ment as a nuicance: don't let them flock, scale down the HHP damage.

From getting mauled by one bat, once:

At least have the wounds be in one slot, else you hopefully have thought about implementing a scrollbar...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby painhertz » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:21 pm

In B4 flying Wolves......
"I shall PERSONALLY witness for you at the shiny, chrome gates of Valhalla!"
painhertz

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas