Farming Batches

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Farming Batches

Postby rye130 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:06 pm

The batch system for crops was a very good initial idea, but its execution ends up making farming more annoying than having to sort seeds. In order to actually raise the quality of crops now you need to have multiple batches of crops, which annoying because having to separate them by large distances or substantial time periods is a massive pain. One easy, and seemingly perfect, solution to this would be to make it so that batches of crops are defined by crops of the same type that are adjacently connected. This way, you can still get the benefit of not having to sort, while easily being able to separate your batches in order to gain quality.
rye130

Re: Farming Batches

Postby CaptainMidget » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:09 am

rye130 wrote:The batch system for crops was a very good initial idea, but its execution ends up making farming more annoying than having to sort seeds. In order to actually raise the quality of crops now you need to have multiple batches of crops, which annoying because having to separate them by large distances or substantial time periods is a massive pain. One easy, and seemingly perfect, solution to this would be to make it so that batches of crops are defined by crops of the same type that are adjacently connected. This way, you can still get the benefit of not having to sort, while easily being able to separate your batches in order to gain quality.

Agreed. Having to sort seeds is way to tedious seeing as they autostack, Its ridiculous. I have to ctrl + left click every seed to drop it when farming to ensure I dont drop a high Q seed into a low Q pool.
CaptainMidget

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:23 am

The crops adjacently connected should average out to prevent the "oh I left the seeds with one higher essence on this side, better look at every individual crop in that area."
DDDsDD999

Postby rye130 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:37 am

CaptainMidget wrote:Agreed. Having to sort seeds is way to tedious seeing as they autostack, Its ridiculous. I have to ctrl + left click every seed to drop it when farming to ensure I dont drop a high Q seed into a low Q pool.

DDDsDD999 wrote:The crops adjacently connected should average out to prevent the "oh I left the seeds with one higher essence on this side, better look at every individual crop in that area."

The reason they did this batch system I think is to make so that you don't have to sort, it was supposed to be a quality of life change because all your crops would get the same +5/-2 roll for a given batch so there would be nothing to sort for. The problem is each generation only gets 1 roll so if you get unlucky your crops go down. With the old system, you had to be very unlucky very consistently in order for all your crops to go down since you were getting multiple rolls on each tile.

With a change to the way batches are determined, you'd end up with the best of both worlds. Being able to consistently and reasonably raise quality while still not requiring an absurd amount of tedious sorting.
rye130

Postby rye130 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:50 am

Bumping because I'd like more feedback on the idea.
rye130

Postby LadyV » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:33 am

I have farmed as a hermit and at large village level. I much prefer sorting than what we have now. Batches my be a slightly better option but I still prefer being able to influence my crops through selective harvest.
LadyV

Postby tableman » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:57 am

I like old system more but the fact is that i would end up anyway using bot to farm it so the way it is now is sort of a shortcut.

Didnt quite understand but if you mean it like this

Then idea is just absolutely necessary and flowing in the air.
tableman

Postby rye130 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:06 am

tableman wrote:Didnt quite understand but if you mean it like this

Yes, that is basically exactly what I meant. Separating the crops by a short distance (such as with a tile of paving in between) would cause it to be part of a different "batch" of crops. Each batch would receive its own unique quality gains or loses.

Basically the same system we have right now, but more easy to separate batches instead of having to go 3 minimaps away or whatever arbitrary bullshit it currently is.
rye130

Postby Avu » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:22 am

I can get behind this but I have a feeling it's very processor intensive on the server.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Potjeh » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:24 am

Yeah, sorting seeds was terrible, but what we have now is even worse.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas