Introduce more forageables

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Introduce more forageables

Postby Avu » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:23 pm

I really don't have an answer how to make foraging more fun and interactive. But fate curios are not the answer. They are soooo incredibly rare they might even be broken for me can't really tell. Haven't seen a fate curio since before my alt could see boletes with no expl or per.

What if we had some forageables that would be really huge but quite rare. So sometimes your blueberries would be monstrous blueberry that you can make 10 pies out of. You'd still have to eat the damn things with satiations and what not and you could just go pick more blueberries if you wanted but when you got one of the big ones you'd still be excited.

Also mussels give us a worthwhile recipe so we pick them. Make regular pearls a lot more common and not fate usable to make symbel or low bonus jewelry and be a shitty curio and have some pearls be black that will be used in necklace for big big bonus. I miss wanting to pick mussels.

So when can we plant mushrooms? :P We want to live in caves. We should be able to fertilize caves and plant mushrooms and raise cave pigs. Cows and sheep need grass but pigs can live on anything.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Maiden » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:24 pm

For a dissenting opinion, a lot of the reason salem turned me off as much as it did was it's focus on wondering around finding things. While I'm all for finding more things that are useful for crafting, the discovery system puts a dampener on such activities
Maiden

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Avu wrote:I really don't have an answer how to make foraging more fun and interactive. But fate curios are not the answer. They are soooo incredibly rare they might even be broken for me can't really tell. Haven't seen a fate curio since before my alt could see boletes with no expl or per.

What if we had some forageables that would be really huge but quite rare. So sometimes your blueberries would be monstrous blueberry that you can make 10 pies out of. You'd still have to eat the damn things with satiations and what not and you could just go pick more blueberries if you wanted but when you got one of the big ones you'd still be excited.

Also mussels give us a worthwhile recipe so we pick them. Make regular pearls a lot more common and not fate usable to make symbel or low bonus jewelry and be a shitty curio and have some pearls be black that will be used in necklace for big big bonus. I miss wanting to pick mussels.

So when can we plant mushrooms? :P We want to live in caves. We should be able to fertilize caves and plant mushrooms and raise cave pigs. Cows and sheep need grass but pigs can live on anything.

Yes, all of that sounds good to me ... you could use the same example as with the blackberries/pearls and just add a relatively rare component to a few of the already existing common ones. Also maybe increase the amount of different rare curios and introduce a tiering on them, some less common, some rare and some incredibly rare.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby LadyV » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:05 pm

For me I think the variety simply needs increased. Yes special finds of existing foragables is a nice idea. There are so many things we should be able to find in nature that can be useful. Im not concerned about over loading screens with items either. The only foraged items deserving limitation are those that can be studied. As i said i favor new ways to make those better or use in other ways.

What i do think would help is a full herbalism system. Collect this bark to do this, collect these herbs for this, find these berries for this. I think allowing items to be limitations are more important than hard skills. Yes you must learn an items use but once you do it now becomes the luck of finding what you need. And some items should be rare or bound to certain places.

With foragables there should be ways to cultivate most of them. However they should be true to their nature. If you must grow it in a cave then do so. If it only grows in shade then that expands tree farm needs. Make it organic in structure.

As for new things moss. lichens, mushrooms, leaves...so many options. There is never to much because if you need it then its worth it. The negative is to much of things that should be rare or are studied.
LadyV

Postby g1real » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm

jorb wrote:Perhaps, but I'm not enthusiastic about reinstating the setup where you just move mindlessly over the map and vacuum fantastic loot without effort or human input required.

How is it without effort to move around, pay attention to the minimap, choosing which items to keep in your inventory (arguably the best part), avoiding animals, making notes of things etc. Finding a horse, searching for a clover, giving the horse the clover and hurray everything just became so much less painful to explore.

Does the inventory managing aspect at least not require actual human input? Perhaps with the introduction of more localized and rare growth it would encourage these longer, farout forage sessions more. Because that's what foraging is about right?

But right now I have no incentive to go out anymore, except for the new bloodstern or whatever it's called that I find infrequently. I never find rare curios anyway. Literally found my first chiming bluebell in 3 weeks yesterday. Two boletes and 1 edelwei at the start of the world.

Edit: Or is that working as intended? I have no idea where I wanted to say with this rambling post anymore. why is alt+s a submit shortcut anyway.
loftar: The inner chaos of the Jorbian mind is hard to conceal. :)
jorb: It's called creative license. You know, that thing you seem to want to apply to logic, grammar and coherence? :)
g1real

Postby Necroliter » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:18 pm

The part that i liked in Salem, not exactly works for foraging, but for hunting. When animals have some extremely rare and quite decent parts, that can be obtained based on random. Like and eyeball from fish or pearl from mussel (ignoring the fact that eyeball is trash). March hare tail, bear paw, etc.

Right now there is now additional motivation to hunt other than food and no feeling of excitement when you butcher regular meat and intestines. It`s awesome feeling to find something of great value and importance when you make some regular tasks (some examples of this concept - perfect hole from cheese, wondrous wood-shaving from board, but thats it. Other regular tasks yield no *excitement* reward).
Necroliter

Postby Phizuol » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Could the good foraged curios be balanced by high xp cost? It would be an alternative to mirkwood grinding. Or they could have a decay timer so mass farming them is not practical?
Phizuol

Postby Potjeh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I think there's a lot of potential in rare medicinal foragables. If they're rare it's exciting to find them, but there's no point in botting up large quantities if you have no wounds.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby jorb » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:51 pm

Indeed. We have also been thinking more in terms of utility plants and whatnot. Taproot being string is a trivial example, and perhaps one could make even more qualified things.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby burgingham » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:17 pm

LadyV wrote:
jorb wrote:And, yes, I think forageables should probably go through recipes into good end-produce, rather than being good end-produce in themselves. The fundamental problem that foraging simply consists in scanning large areas by dead walking remains, however. I'd like it if it was more interactive in a way that's fun, rather than tedious.

Maybe Im odd but I enjoy going out and looking for things. Kin of scavenger hunt and treasure hunt in one. Then when you can do more with them when you get back it is like continuing the journey. :D

Same here.

I think time investment wise foraging is actually in a decent place right now. Might change when the real high end stuff like cheese or high q crafted curios start flowing.

But you can just pick up a lot of things that are worth it right now. Swamps and caves are of course king, but even some blueberries for pies, or other stuff for FEP reduction come in handy. Rather easy to hunt smaller game on a normal foraging trip too or extend it to larger game when you are looking for that. But even a badger every now and then doesn't hurt anyone. Decent source for con and agi.
burgingham

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas