Suckling's Maws, Grape Vines, Cattle, Cheese and Rings

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Suckling's Maws, Grape Vines, Cattle, Cheese and Rings

Postby Garfy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:02 am

Sevenless wrote:@ garfy I feel that argument just means we shouldn't have any system relying on the average quality. The fact that both tools and curios do is a little harsh. We also need some method of trading, the road concept is not cutting it. If we don't want to allow hearthlings to teleport everywhere, it's time to start talking some method of distance trading (aka mail). Hearthling magic it up, give it a cost, but we need it.

Tools definitely shouldn't use the average quality, that's just not fair. Curios not so much, but to me, when I first saw different qualities on food effected different things, I thought the same system would have applied to curios (one increases lp gain, another reduces study time, and the third either reduces mental weight or exp cost). I still don't know why something like this isn't the case now.
Garfy

Postby Avu » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:24 am

I think a way to settle the randomized qualities is a way to improve quality of some products at the expense of the other two variables a way to normalize values. For basic resources boiling water, soil sifting and clay mixing. Multiple iteration needed sometimes. The cost is time and not always desirable of course.

For planted stuff allow a farmer toggle to focus on one quality dimension it will take from highest q and raise the lowest.
For bred animals add to the interface a way to specify what cattle values the animal should focus on. Artificial selection with so many variable has no chance of working. The amount of animals needed to get increases in any fields increases exponentially with each new field. Either fold some of the fields into each other fold them into the 3 main qualities or allow focused breeding.
Chicken raising values also need to be addressed. The addition of water basically halves their q raising ability long term and with 3 dimensions you can pretty much say goodbye. Even with focused raising if you wanted one of each category it would mean triple the work. If you wanted all it would mean 9 times the work (not sure that will be enough probably no way at all to achieve too lazy to )

Wild animals are way trickier. Long term we need a way to seed areas for hunting. Placing wild game feed to attract game and you can affect their q like that. Short term maybe allow butchering styles to affect q normalization.

As for forage no clue.

Cheese we'll see how it work with the new 16.5 trays per dead animal works for quantity. For quality it's freaking atrocious. Animals are shit wine is ultra shit. Speaking of wine I still have no freaking clue where am I supposed to put grape juice in demijon or barrel because every time I move it seems to me the timer resets. Either that or every time I add new grape juice.

And for the love of god trellis suck. No inspect their plants take forever to grow. I'm thinking plant based fertilizers to help slower growing plants to somewhat keep up with carrots. Because I fucking loved pumpkins in world 3 for animal feed and now I can't use them because they're not fast enough to grow q to be used in anything other than baking.

Trees and bushes why can't I get reliable trees? Why is grape vine more reliable? If I want to keep a shit q grape vine I can but to get reliable apples tough luck.
"Since all men count themselves righteous, and since
no righteous man raises his hand against the innocent,
a man need only strike another to make him evil."
Avu

Postby Jalpha » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:43 am

Sorry to necro but on Maws...

IMHO Meat quantity should apply to the number of maws harvested from a calf. So in time, with sufficient effort invested, it would be possible to produce two maws per calf, and eventually maybe even three or four.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:51 pm

Jalpha wrote:IMHO Meat quantity should apply to the number of maws harvested from a calf. So in time, with sufficient effort invested, it would be possible to produce two maws per calf, and eventually maybe even three or four.

I like that.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Gordon » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:19 pm

Make that you can get maws from grown cows too, this sucks that you can only get them from calfs and the game sucks, because of that.
Gordon

Postby Kaios » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:54 am

A stage or two after creamy camembert would be nice, the agi bonus isn't the worst but we could do with something better.
Kaios

Postby Onep » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:51 am

It seems like complete bullshit that you have to kill calves for suckling's maws. You have to kill your livestock before they even have a chance to reproduce and pass their increased qualities on? So now I have to raise twice as much livestock to have quality increases and fodder for cheese? It just adds another tedious task to the chore list.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby jorb » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:21 am

jorb wrote:
Jalpha wrote:IMHO Meat quantity should apply to the number of maws harvested from a calf. So in time, with sufficient effort invested, it would be possible to produce two maws per calf, and eventually maybe even three or four.

I like that.

Decided against this. Quality does not increase the amount of stomachs on an animal.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

jorb

Postby sabinati » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:26 am

it was supposed to be based on quantity tho
sabinati

Postby jorb » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:28 am

sabinati wrote:it was supposed to be based on quantity tho

Typo. Meant quantity. Still. A calf has the stomachs it has.

jorb

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas