Siege warfare: ranged combat

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Siege warfare: ranged combat

Postby molenga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:15 pm

When the siege system gets implemented we could perhaps get a bigger focus on ranged combat and marksmanship than we currently have in the game, maybe allow players to shoot from walls/towers and allow raiders to shoot back at people that are in the walls and towers?

This way we would have more use for marksmanship and archers, as it will become a near necessity for both defenders and raiders to have them.

This way sieges would be more than just setting up a ram, waiting for it to dry, breaking gate and killing everyone. In this scenario you would actually have to wage ranged warfare at the defenders shooting you from the walls while others are ramming the gate.

This would surely create a wide range of possibilities for combat and for the siege system, would make it possible for the implementation of several interesting dynamics to the game.
molenga

Re: Siege warfare: ranged combat

Postby LadyV » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:32 pm

I completely agree the archer is underpowered. I have been pushing for their improvement for some time. There is a reason they were so effective in history. They took tim and money to achieve but when they were ready they were the bane of armies.
LadyV

Postby molenga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:43 pm

LadyV wrote:I completely agree the archer is underpowered. I have been pushing for their improvement for some time. There is a reason they were so effective in history. They took tim and money to achieve but when they were ready they were the bane of armies.

And you certainly cannot say it would not fit the setting, I mean come on, no one ever thought about building a plataform behind the palisade or brick walls to be able to shoot from there? That is kind of the entire concept of having walls, being safe from enemies and being able to shoot people from it.

It is such a primitive and historically old tactic that you simply cannot justify not having it implemented, humans were doing that far before we were even capable of using wrought iron, much less steel!
molenga

Postby shubla » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:48 pm

LadyV wrote:I completely agree the archer is underpowered. I have been pushing for their improvement for some time. There is a reason they were so effective in history. They took tim and money to achieve but when they were ready they were the bane of armies.

Archer with enough stats can oneshot people. Which is too overpowered.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:56 pm

LadyV wrote:I completely agree the archer is underpowered.

lol, do you have ANY experience with combat?
DDDsDD999

Postby Rihudaen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:05 pm

shubla wrote:

It's actually rather accurate that Archers can one shot people. The mechanics would have to be tweaked for sure but it rather coming for melee chars to die in one to two hits. The issue is aiming at moving targets reliably. With the aiming the way it is now that's not a huge issue. Also with the sight line system you have to have a clear shot or the arrow hits something else.

It a character is wearing iron or steel armor and is being shot at with bone arrows. No dmg or minimal. You would need to make iron or steel bodkins. And bodkins would not do a whole lot to leather armor so that's where the bone or normal arrow heads come into play. Aka bodkins pierce but don't have a large cutting surface.

What I saying is for archers to have a place there would have to be several adjustment to mechanics or addition of new mechanics to account for the wide variability of damages based on hit placement at do type and target armor.

You would need something similar to the mechanics in mount and blade warband "crpg" mod.

I would Be great for siege warfare like that with archers, than you could also incorporate new siege building
Rihudaen

Postby molenga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:07 pm

shubla wrote:

And why exactly can that archer not shoot from top of a wall and also get shot by another equally powerfull archer while he is doing it?

Would make archers much more viable imho.
molenga

Postby ven » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:16 pm

Rihudaen wrote:
shubla wrote:

It's actually rather accurate that Archers can one shot people. The mechanics would have to be tweaked for sure but it rather coming for melee chars to die in one to two hits. The issue is aiming at moving targets reliably. With the aiming the way it is now that's not a huge issue. Also with the sight line system you have to have a clear shot or the arrow hits something else.

It a character is wearing iron or steel armor and is being shot at with bone arrows. No dmg or minimal. You would need to make iron or steel bodkins. And bodkins would not do a whole lot to leather armor so that's where the bone or normal arrow heads come into play. Aka bodkins pierce but don't have a large cutting surface.

What I saying is for archers to have a place there would have to be several adjustment to mechanics or addition of new mechanics to account for the wide variability of damages based on hit placement at do type and target armor.

You would need something similar to the mechanics in mount and blade warband "crpg" mod.

It would Be great for siege warfare like that with archers, than you could also incorporate new siege building

All great ideas but devs only listen to melee pvp'ers. Just look how many moves and melee weapons we have and how simplified archery is in comparison to melee. Clearly that's where their minds are.

Swords can one shot people too btw.
Venator
ven

Postby Rihudaen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 pm

I think it's more that melee combat mechanics are largely much easier to implement. Crpg has been around for a time and the archers are constantly being adjusted based on the melee squeals of displeasure when they get eyeshot in heavy plate.

I remember in world 7 I didn't build my 2nd be all yet and my farming alt got 1 shot by someone with a sling off screen. :oops:
Rihudaen

Postby molenga » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:23 pm

ven wrote:All great ideas but devs only listen to melee pvp'ers. Just look how many moves and melee weapons we have and how simplified archery is in comparison to melee. Clearly that's where their minds are.

Swords can one shot people too btw.

We need crossbows and steel bolts, for that extra armor piercing damage!
molenga

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas