Low Stone Fences

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Low Stone Fences

Postby DaniAngione » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:55 pm

I know there have been similar suggestions in the past, I'd like contribute with a bit more of content/ideas though :3

Low Stone Fences

Think of them as something in-between a Roundpole Fence and a Palisade.

Purpose
Almost as easy to build but requiring a lot more time (and effort) to be destroyed, they're the perfect protection for that spot you keep your boats or maybe an extension for an orchard or some new trees, etc... For when palisades are not worthy and Roundpole fences are not enough :D

Gameplay
The idea is that it should be destroyable by hand with a fresh character but have enough hitpoints to take a while and require good amounts of energy. Similar to kilns/smelters/etc. that can be destroyed by hand but take a long while and effort.
Also, being cheap and fast to build, and relatively annoying to remove, they are an effective way to protect large territories, village borders, encircle large open areas, etc... Paving way for more direct ways to harm/ensure territory supremacy (or wage wars for it)

Cosmetic
Needless to say, it adds another way for players to customize their villages/settlements. Neat stone walls are great for animal pastures and orchards, and will look pretty around houses and such.
Gates can be similar (or the same) from Roundpole walls :3

Some images for inspiration:

W15 ???
W14 Proud defender of Kakariko Village
W13 Sporadic member of Ravka
W12 Occasional member of Lake Town
W11 Inactive member of Yggdrasill
W10 King of The Northern Kingdom
W9 The Revenant of Wulf's Retreat
W8 Lawspeaker of New Thotoshire
W7 Lawspeaker of Esteldín
DaniAngione

Re: Low Stone Fences

Postby Turtlesir » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:03 pm

the stonestead walls would be perfect for this.
Turtlesir

Postby VDZ » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:31 am

DaniAngione wrote:being cheap and fast to build, and relatively annoying to remove

Here's two more images for inspiration:

Anything difficult to remove should be difficult to make, otherwise you'll inevitably get problems with either people griefing too much (it takes much less work than it does harm to people) or exploiting the mechanics for defenses too strong for the amount of effort they take.
VDZ

Postby DaniAngione » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:36 am

VDZ wrote:Anything difficult to remove should be difficult to make, otherwise you'll inevitably get problems with either people griefing too much (it takes much less work than it does harm to people) or exploiting the mechanics for defenses too strong for the amount of effort they take.

Well, true.
Maybe it shouldn't be so difficult then, like just twice or thrice as strong as Roundpole fences, I guess...

Well, yeah.
:/
To be honest I just wanted a stone fence for decorative purposes but had to come up with a more meaningful/useful purpose for it :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll:
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby Granger » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:44 am

Just admit that you're a larper, it's ok - and I guess Jorb gets it.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby DaniAngione » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:49 am

Granger wrote:Just admit that you're a larper, it's ok - and I guess Jorb gets it.

I suppose I never tried to hide that I'm a larper :P
W15 ???
DaniAngione

Postby Kalacia » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:43 am

Ill be honest, im not able to find a way to make it work differently than the wooden fence. Without greifing issues or changing how the wooden fence works. Dont get me wrong, i like it, i want it.... Im a larper too.. Things should look nice!

The only way i can see a reason, other than looks for this... is to either A. Give it a defence potential. B. Nerf wooden fences to make the stone wall an option. C. just implement it to look cool.

A. make it easyish to destroy for a determined attacker. make it to where it can be bashed... but only at 50+ str and 50+ UA or something. Basically make it strong enough to push out of free account destruction. This is to stop a random guy making a free account to just bash it.

B. really not sure how this could be done without breaking wooden fences....

C. just make a wall.
Kalacia

Postby boreial » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:43 am

Like the idea, always thought there should be stone walls either between round pole and pali, or between pali and brick, just seemed to make sense to me, since stone was used eons before brick, and to alleviate those griefer worries, make them act like other walls now, if the land is claimed by another player, you cannot build walls on the claimed land, and if the land is not claimed then decay sets in just like a round pole fence.
boreial

Postby Turtlesir » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:01 am

how about stone variants of both fence and palisade (stone fence and stone wall), with similar stats? stone fence slightly above roundpole fence but still easily destructible, stone wall between palisade and brickwall.
Turtlesir

Return to Critique & Ideas