Cooldowns at start of combat

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Cooldowns at start of combat

Postby NeoBasilisk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:01 am

I know that early last world, an update made it so that players have a short cooldown active upon initiating combat. This was to prevent people from being killed instantly by other players. This is fine and wonderful.

What might be considered an unintended side effect is that animals do not appear to have any kind of cooldown active when combat starts. Maybe there is a difference between you aggroing the animal vs the animal aggroing you, but I don't know.

The point I am making is that for fast animals, you have to back up annoyingly far before initiating combat so that you have time to get your defenses up before they attack you. If you aggro them too closely, you will take a full unblocked hit, and there is nothing you can do about it. Now my suggestion is not to remove the player's initial cooldown. But wouldn't it make sense to give the animals an initial cooldown as well?

I'm expecting replies like "just make sure you're far enough away first noob," but my point is whether this behavior is intentional or just a side effect that was never seriously considered. I can obviously start combat from a long distance, but should I have to do that, and does it add anything to the game by forcing me to do that?
NeoBasilisk

Re: Cooldowns at start of combat

Postby Orcling » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:08 am

NeoBasilisk wrote:text

Even for the fastest animal, if you aggro them at full range, you have plenty of time to pop at the very least one block. Two or three blocks if you walk away from it when you aggro. And since pretty much all animals are faster than you, making them come to you from aggroing them from afar is actually faster than running to them yourself. I don't see what issue you could possibly have with this.
Orcling

Postby NeoBasilisk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:14 am

Orcling wrote:
NeoBasilisk wrote:text

Even for the fastest animal, if you aggro them at full range, you have plenty of time to pop at the very least one block. Two or three blocks if you walk away from it when you aggro. And since pretty much all animals are faster than you, making them come to you from aggroing them from afar is actually faster than running to them yourself. I don't see what issue you could possibly have with this.

Yes, I addressed this. I can handle this just fine. Can you explain what possible value this current system adds? Does it add value, or does it take it away?
NeoBasilisk

Postby Orcling » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:17 am

NeoBasilisk wrote: Does it add value, or does it take it away?

Neither
Orcling

Postby NeoBasilisk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:21 am

Orcling wrote:
NeoBasilisk wrote: Does it add value, or does it take it away?

Neither

Can you offer rationalization for why animals should be able to attack you for the first couple seconds of combat and you can't do anything do at all except run or take full damage hits?
NeoBasilisk

Postby MrBunzy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 am

This was added early last world because people were camping caves and houses with a script to auto chop as someone entered. Honestly the cooldown seems pretty pointless after an ip cost was added for chop, because any maneuvers you could get off with a script now would give a pretty negligible advantage.

As far as the interaction with hunting, animals actually do receive a cooldown, its just that the cooldown is slightly higher for the person who initiates combat. Outside of the very early game animals are incapable of damaging you through armor anyway, except with yellow attacks that take ip, so it doesn't really seem like a problem for them to get a head start.
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Return to Critique & Ideas