Optimize the game

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Optimize the game

Postby Glorthan » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:56 am

NineWorlds wrote:You're funny.

Saying I can't educate when the game proves it's self?
There are lots of poorly optimised games made in other languages, including C, C++, etc. It has little to do with the language in most cases, although if you made a game in an interpreted language (for example python) you'd have to limit its scope severely or link to compiled binaries.

NineWorlds wrote:The game is batshit optimized, even jorb and loftar have stated this
Yes, I agree its performance is quite poor.

NineWorlds wrote:combined with javas shitty garbage collection it can only make things worse.
Please don't sit there and say i'm wrong.
But you are? The garbage collector doesn't "run every frame" or at some deterministic interval, it runs when the jvm thinks there is enough memory that needs deallocating to clean up. How frequently it runs therefore depends on how well you program your code. If you're allocating heap memory in C/C++ this also takes time, anything you don't allocate on the stack in Java/C# you'd probably also not allocate on the stack in C++. Educate yourself!

NineWorlds wrote:and it is a well known problem that a lot of games that are coded in languages that use auto GC face fps issues because of the need to constantly pause the VM to check for things to recycle which is a big problem when you have games that have a lot going on at once.

Strange, all those games I've played that weren't written in native languages that worked fine? Strange I can't actually seem to find anyone complaining about the problem when I google search? Perhaps you can direct me to where you read all these complaints.

NineWorlds wrote:Runescape had a HUGE issue with this and they even addressed it. OH - TWO GAMES coded in java right before you that are suffering from the same issues - horrible fps and stuttering.
Another poorly programmed game having issues that happens to "use java". I wonder why those AAA titles that people struggle to run at 60fps on low settings are so bad if they use compiled languages? Could it be that the language isn't the deciding factor?

NineWorlds wrote:Though I didn't code this game, so I do not know what the problem is, i could only assume with what I've read from the creators and having them confirm that yes the game is not optimized as best as it could be.
There are a few posts in the wizard's tower with people that have looked into how to make the game run better, and actually profiled the code, including memory allocation and deallocation. Loftar has given some possible reasons, he's also aiming to look into it. If you want to do something actually useful rather than post uninformed remarks about how the game needs to be rewritten in your favourite language, you can actually grab the entire client source code, profile it, improve it, rewrite it in your favourite language, etc. Of course, this does kind of assume experience with working with java, but you seem to know a lot about it?
Glorthan

Postby NineWorlds » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:47 am

Glorthan wrote:The garbage collector doesn't "run every frame" or at some deterministic interval, it runs when the jvm thinks there is enough memory that needs deallocating to clean up. How frequently it runs therefore depends on how well you program your code.

Oh wow, wish I could have thought about this.

NineWorlds wrote:The game is batshit optimized, even jorb and loftar have stated this

NineWorlds wrote:with some good optimization and manage of code this game can turn out crisp

I also know how Garbage Collection works, no need to explain it to me.
If you can't find any resources on how GC can cause stuttering in games then you are certainly not looking hard enough.

I never said the main cause of the game could be GC. But that it could be a cause, L2Read.
Maybe you should follow your own advice.

Glorthan wrote:There are a few posts in the wizard's tower with people that have looked into how to make the game run better, and actually profiled the code, including memory allocation and deallocation. Loftar has given some possible reasons, he's also aiming to look into it. If you want to do something actually useful rather than post uninformed remarks about how the game needs to be rewritten in your favourite language, you can actually grab the entire client source code, profile it, improve it, rewrite it in your favourite language, etc. Of course, this does kind of assume experience with working with java, but you seem to know a lot about it?

I have no intention on dabbling in java any time soon.
Though i am entitled to give feed back, from dealing with a language that is also similar to java of what I think it could be.
Which as I said is the poor optimization of his code, + it could be the work of GC and that it should be checked out.
And with some nice optimization of the code any issue could potentially go away, as we both have already stated.

yet you want to try to teach me of something I already know of and act like you're Javas knight in shining armor.

You should really, really learn to read. Seems as though you're the typical HS Student who skimmed his essay for the big test.
NineWorlds

Postby PowerDale2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:04 am

I'm mere amateur, but could you tell me.. if low textures for everything helps in this? I mean hearthfire for example, could it's flame be replaced with a static texture? An will it help?
PowerDale2

Postby boshaw » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:16 am

PowerDale2 wrote:I'm mere amateur, but could you tell me.. if low textures for everything helps in this? I mean hearthfire for example, could it's flame be replaced with a static texture? An will it help?

I don't think killing my textures helped performance wise too much when i played around with it, maybe it would be more noticable on lower specs tho.
boshaw

Postby PowerDale2 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:15 am

boshaw wrote:Image

I've been waiting this graphics for years!
PowerDale2

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas