Optimize the game

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Optimize the game

Postby NineWorlds » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 am

vatas wrote:
NineWorlds wrote:invest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116987&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=CjwKEAiAx--2BRDO6q2T84_a52YSJABWAbfrZod9C5QGk7omkuC5jUazI1_hpHL9y6whUK4x27YexxoCsrrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142&cm_re=gtx_980-_-14-487-142-_-Product

But isn't RAM the bottleneck?

Game for me uses no more then around 1-2Gigs of ram.

And in these days, if you don't have at least 16 gigs of ram in your computer you're doing something wrong considering how cheap ddr4 is now.

a 16G set will cost you around 100USD.
Hell you could even go to DDr3 and save about 40USD

Will post pictures, along with listing my specs here in a second to give you a general idea of what the game actually even uses.
NineWorlds

Postby shubla » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:12 am

vatas wrote:
NineWorlds wrote:invest.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116987&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=CjwKEAiAx--2BRDO6q2T84_a52YSJABWAbfrZod9C5QGk7omkuC5jUazI1_hpHL9y6whUK4x27YexxoCsrrw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487142&cm_re=gtx_980-_-14-487-142-_-Product

But isn't RAM the bottleneck?

Bottleneck is CPU. And code is just so badly optimized.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby NineWorlds » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:25 am

GPU Idle Base Clock

GPU Under load by haven

Cannot get an accurate picture of CPU + Ram
Though usually haven uses around 4-20% CPU and anywhere from
670-1,024.8MB

Specs //

i7-4770k 3.5ghz with a boost of 4.0
Nvidia GTX 980 Ti ftw edition
Samsung Evo840 500G SSD
GSkill 16G ram DDR3

Using KT Client.

Note that I have DDR3 Ram as I built my computer before DDR4 was released and never decided to upgrade my ram, I cannot remember the clock that its at, i believe 1866
NineWorlds

Postby stya » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:51 pm

NineWorlds wrote:And in these days, if you don't have at least 16 gigs of ram in your computer you're doing something wrong.

Bullshit, most people don't use more than 4g, 8 is enough for most games + browser opened, I have 12 and prob never used it fully.
Getting an SSD, good GPU+CPU is much more important.

6 h&h clients and firefox opened would only take 4gig of ram...
stya

Postby shubla » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:07 pm

stya wrote:
NineWorlds wrote:And in these days, if you don't have at least 16 gigs of ram in your computer you're doing something wrong.

Bullshit, most people don't use more than 4g, 8 is enough for most games + browser opened, I have 12 and prob never used it fully.

8 gb ram is minium if you want to do anything. If you play games at all 16 gigs is good.
Some games use ton of ram if you mod them for example.
If you play minesweeper 8 gb ram is enough though.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Glorthan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:01 pm

stya wrote:

People like big numbers, useful performance is secondary to that smug superiority of having a bigger number than someone else. Why do you thing the cpu frequency war happened ;)
Glorthan

Postby NineWorlds » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Not bullshit at all,

Games are becoming more demanding and so are applications.

Go take a wrinky dink PC and try to play the Witcher3 1080p Maxed out, hell go try 4k and tell me what your results are with 4Gigs of ram.
My graphics card uses more Vram than 4gigs when playing demanding games.

As gamers,
everyone should invest in building their own computer or at least a decent laptop from a reputable company.

And as I said earlier, its not the ram you need to buy to make the game run smoother, I already stated that game doesn't even use more then 1gig for me.
I just stated these days with how cheap ram is you should really be investing in getting atleast 16 gigs.

Also to your statement that 4 Gigs is enough,
my computer as of now with Haven running and google chrome open is using 4.1 gigs in total by the system.

Also if you don't know how coding works, i'm not to familiar with java, though I am underway with learning C#.
Which is identical in a way to java.
Both of these languages have what is known as a Garbage Collector.

The name "garbage collection" implies that objects no longer needed by the program are "garbage" and can be thrown away. A more accurate and up-to-date metaphor might be "memory recycling." When an object is no longer referenced by the program, the heap space it occupies can be recycled so that the space is made available for subsequent new objects.

And from my knowledge, with poorly written code for optimizing this can hinder your fps.

Go take a look at RuneScape.
They are working on upgrading the game to C++, currently it runs on java. Which even on high end computers result in 30-40fps in high areas, and lag spikes when entering objects.
I've played the C++ version which has tenfold- prettier graphics than the recent and you can get up to 120+ fps or any cap you'd like for your monitors refresh rate. (which seems silly for an mmo like that game) but it's happening.
So you put in perspective that a large company like Jagex, switched from java and had their game go from 30-40fps on high end computers to c++ with virtually no limit on fps because of how optimized it is with c++.

Thats not me saying well you can't have a totally - well optimized game with Java, i'm just saying as of right now with the poorly written optimization and javas way of working with the hardware, the only option you have is to upgrade.
NineWorlds

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:04 am

This is one of our first priorities atm, yes. Loftar has a big change in the pipe, but it's not done yet.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Glorthan » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:19 am

NineWorlds wrote:Not bullshit at all
Perhaps not bullshit, but mostly inaccurate.

NineWorlds wrote:Go take a wrinky dink PC and try to play the Witcher3 1080p Maxed out, hell go try 4k and tell me what your results are with 4Gigs of ram.
My graphics card uses more Vram than 4gigs when playing demanding games.

Resolution is dependant solely on vram, not regular ram. Changing to higher resolution textures if the game supports it can require more ram (and obviously it requires more vram as well), but for most games the texture quality is a separate option to the actual resolution you play at.

NineWorlds wrote:Also to your statement that 4 Gigs is enough,
my computer as of now with Haven running and google chrome open is using 4.1 gigs in total by the system.

And if your computer had 64gb of ram it would probably be sitting at 8 in use with just that open. Who cares?

NineWorlds wrote:completly wrong information about java

"Starting to learn C#" clearly hasn't taught you anything about the relative performance of modern garbage collection and how to work with it versus taking the effort to implement an efficient solution in a compiled language. I suggest you refrain from trying to educate when you lack the experience and/or research to make accurate assertions.
Glorthan

Postby NineWorlds » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:07 am

You're funny.

Saying I can't educate when the game proves it's self?

The game is batshit optimized, even jorb and loftar have stated this, combined with javas shitty garbage collection it can only make things worse.
Please don't sit there and say i'm wrong.

and it is a well known problem that a lot of games that are coded in languages that use auto GC face fps issues because of the need to constantly pause the VM to check for things to recycle which is a big problem when you have games that have a lot going on at once.

Runescape had a HUGE issue with this and they even addressed it. OH - TWO GAMES coded in java right before you that are suffering from the same issues - horrible fps and stuttering.

And for you to say i'm wrong with the topic that the GC system could be the cause of how poor the fps and stutters are, you should probably be the one doing the research.

Though I never said that this cannot be fixed, with some good optimization and manage of code this game can turn out crisp. But as of now it isn't. And from a lot of research and spending time with C# and reading about how GC works this could be a big factor onto why many people have poor fps.

and Again it is a wide known fact that yes GC is a huge advantage for many coders, but it can also be the cause of stuttering and fps issues.
Though I didn't code this game, so I do not know what the problem is, i could only assume with what I've read from the creators and having them confirm that yes the game is not optimized as best as it could be.
NineWorlds

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas