Kudos on forum

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Kudos on forum

Postby Kalacia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:02 pm

Hello,

Why cant we implement a "kudos" system on the forum. it would have no effect on life other than "look how many kudos i got". People like flashy shit like that.

but on a more serious note. It could show who actually helps people and posts quality, or shit posts all the time. As people would rate peoples posts.

I will now antisipate peoples responces "too easy to push shit posters to the top via forum bots" le sigh :(
Kalacia

Re: Kudos on forum

Postby Onep » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 pm

This sounds like a form of discrimination towards funposters TBH.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Postby jorb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Yeah, I would actually like that. We're kind of boxed in by the phpBB right now, as loftar doesn't like delving into it to hack it, but I hope we can upgrade to something better at some point.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby TeckXKnight » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Kalacia wrote:I will now antisipate peoples responces "too easy to push shit posters to the top via forum bots" le sigh :(

It literally couldn't be worse than the lack of system we have now and given the tools mods could tackle obvious abusers.
TeckXKnight

Postby Potjeh » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:04 pm

If you're going to mess with the forums, don't touch the color scheme under any circumstances.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Amanda44 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:59 pm

Potjeh wrote:If you're going to mess with the forums, don't touch the color scheme under any circumstances.

+1 ... it's the only one I've ever come across anywhere that doesn't hurt your eyes or is impossible to read from the ridiculous colours used!

As for the kudos idea, tbh, I'm not sure about it, simply because we are a very small community and very 'cliquey' ... I'm not sure it would ever truly represent what it was designed for. I also think those kinds of systems encourage false posting, meaning people would adapt the way they would normally post for recognition, you can argue that this is a good thing but I'm going to disagree, I quite like that we have a variety of posting styles ... I don't always like everything I read mind, but I still like the variety we have and some other forums with a rating system have turned rather generic and bland over time.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby Patchouli_Knowledge » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:49 pm

How would we contain people making alts to kudos people to the stratosphere or to the core of the earth? The first thought people would think of is a post count before you can but would that actually be enough?
-=The law of inverse desire=- The chances of dropping what you want is the reciprocal of how much you want it.
Patchouli_Knowledge

Postby synaris » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:58 pm

id rather not have idiots judge me by something as trivial as forum karma. i would imagine because im blunt and cuss a lot id get a million downvotes or whatever the term will be. making every mindless moron think "hey look at that negative score, this guy wont be worth listening to" and skip over my posts.
Newbie and noob do not mean the same thing.

Neither do figuratively and literally.
synaris

Postby ven » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:11 pm

Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:How would we contain people making alts to kudos people to the stratosphere or to the core of the earth?

Only allow jorbtar and active mods to vote. The community clearly can't be trusted with that power.
Venator
ven

Postby Kalacia » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:24 pm

ven wrote:
Patchouli_Knowledge wrote:How would we contain people making alts to kudos people to the stratosphere or to the core of the earth?

Only allow jorbtar and active mods to vote. The community clearly can't be trusted with that power.

good idea :)

but not just mods... have power users also. People who can be trusted to up or downvote. But not have mod powers.
Kalacia

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas