Critique: Gameplay of 1 VS 30

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Critique: Gameplay of 1 VS 30

Postby LoLa » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:41 pm

There were a few things I noticed while playing that don't make enough gameplay sense of balance to me, please keep in mind the suggestions are from a solo player's perspective who does not actually want to solo but hasn't been able to find a good group of people to play with and has no global resource nodes; I do love the depth of this game and the amount of challenges it brings, I actually think that gameplay balance, if it is balanced enough, actually makes a game more enjoyable for everyone even if you had an advantage previously when a game was unbalanced, because the rewards or achievements when a game is balanced will have more meaning to you after accomplishing them. At times I feel that the voices of the large villages are heard more than others so that some things are done or left in their favor, and it's not always easy to see any affiliations with each other when you read people's posts and replies.

The three critiques are as follows:

* Of course groups of people should have a bigger advantage for things in most games, however I feel there's an extreme unbalance for this game where the advantages far surpass what should actually be there. If you are outnumbered you are as good as dead in most cases, and if people are using bots it makes it even more difficult. I don't necessarily have a lot of suggestions for this critique at the moment, but I will say I think the playing field needs to be leveled a bit more somehow so that solo players and small groups have a reasonable chance to survive if they aren't looking for a fight with other players. A few reasons this is more important than some may think is because not only in this game but in many games people rage quit when they die especially in situations they felt were unfair/unreasonable and it will effect the amount of people playing, which also effects the community/amount of subscriptions and the number of people to interact with in this game in whatever way you see fit. The voices of large groups may try to drown out the voices of others in their forum replies, but the truth is that they should not be able to bully other players around both in the game and on the forum ruining the gameplay for everyone, even themselves.

* In territorial disputes, Leantos can be built around a claim stake that has not been activated yet, preventing most players from being able to take it down. Most solo players or small groups don't stand a chance to remove it or remove it and survive. Being able to do this totally defeats the purpose of a claim not being activated yet for a certain amount of time in my opinion.

* If you need to move your things, especially if you are in danger, the best option is a Knarr or perhaps charter stones(not sure if they let you bring items with you when using them though) however, both of these are unavailable possibly for months. I've been playing every day and wouldn't be surprised if I only had materials for a knarr 4-6 months from now because as a solo player I have so many things to take on at once and I don't enjoy using bots or alts. The distance traveled and amount of goods to move is too great for solo players or small groups to be able to do it within a reasonable time frame and these are the only good options but as I said the challenge is too large. I'm not suggesting moving be the easiest thing ever, there should be a challenge involved sure, but currently I feel the challenge of moving is much to great.

I would love feedback & ideas from others, but is it to much to ask to keep it to a reasonable discussion instead of the negativity I usually see on these forums?

Thanks for reading.
LoLa

Return to Critique & Ideas