Security for Knarrs

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Security for Knarrs

Postby GenghisKhan44 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 pm

OK, Jorbtar, thank you you great gods of the Swedish wilds for making Knarrs available and incredibly functional.

However, I and many others have one teeny concern...

shubla wrote:I think there should be somekind of protection for your ship.
So people cant just jump in it and punch you dead.

I gotta agree with shubla. Boatlocks or I shall ne'er build one. Evar. Of course, perhaps villages and large towns would be better able to protect them, and that's prolly what they're made for. (I'm just an hermit.)

Also, what if two or three or four people could lift the knarr, so it took three people to lift it and couldn't be lifted otharwise? Then we could put them in the town/settlement palisade.
"...the dungeon and shackles are already at my threshold to show me here and now my eternal disgrace. Only you can work the miracle to make life possible for a soul so imperiled by doubt, O Atoner for all, exalted beyond saying." - St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 1.

You are much loved! Love in return!
GenghisKhan44

Re: Security for Knarrs

Postby Kalacia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:06 pm

Or we could have harbours that function like a leanto... Or have them just function like a leanto.
Kalacia

Postby shubla » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:07 pm

Or maybe make them bit bigger so we can walk in them. Live in them. Have nice captains cabin and bunks underneath the desk.-
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Potjeh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:14 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipway

Basically a shore structure where you can haul a knarr onto a special wagon so it can be moved overland. Maybe it should require horses for both steps.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby Granger » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Potjeh wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipway

Basically a shore structure where you can haul a knarr onto a special wagon so it can be moved overland. Maybe it should require horses for both steps.

Then what? Thief will haul it back - or do you think it'll pass through gates?
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby Potjeh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Pass through gate ofc.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:34 pm

The simpliest idea ever:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooring_(watercraft)

• Mooring Post is a small building, same stats as palisade (same soak, same dry mechanics), you build it on the shore
  • Knarr can be bounded (cannot be moved while bounded) to the Mooring Post with a rope
  • If Mooring Post is covered by claim (personal or village), only person with granted Vandalism rights can unbound Knarr
  • You cannot unbound Knarr with Criminal Acts
  • If Mooring Post is not covered by claim, everyone can unbound Knarr
  • Mooring Post can be destroyed with any siege (or bashing) mechanics, same as palisade. In this case Knarr becomes unbound
Pluses
  • Fits logically
  • Easy to implement visually, only one static model, no additional animations etc
  • Easy to use ingame (spend 10 minutes to lift and move knarr inside your village? please, no)
  • Can be destroyed/declaimed, so there is still possibility to loose a ship
Minuses
  • Maybe not that easy to implement in code, because there is no "prevent criminal acts" mechanic (except Visitor Buff, but it is done via buff mechanic)
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:46 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:The simpliest idea ever:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooring_(watercraft)

• Mooring Post is a small building, same stats as palisade (same soak, same dry mechanics), you build it on the shore
  • Knarr can be bounded (cannot be moved while bounded) to the Mooring Post with a rope
  • If Mooring Post is covered by claim (personal or village), only person with granted Vandalism rights can unbound Knarr
  • You cannot unbound Knarr with Criminal Acts
  • If Mooring Post is not covered by claim, everyone can unbound Knarr
  • Mooring Post can be destroyed with any siege (or bashing) mechanics, same as palisade. In this case Knarr becomes unbound
Pluses
  • Fits logically
  • Easy to implement visually, only one static model, no additional animations etc
  • Easy to use ingame (spend 10 minutes to lift and move knarr inside your village? please, no)
  • Can be destroyed/declaimed, so there is still possibility to loose a ship
Minuses
  • Maybe not that easy to implement in code, because there is no "prevent criminal acts" mechanic (except Visitor Buff, but it is done via buff mechanic)

That is indeed the best solution imo, everything is covered and as it should be to protect such a big build. Like GenghisKhan44 I wouldn't build one either without some sort of protection for it.
The only bit I disagree with is not being able to unbound it with criminal acts if on a pclaim, I'm not sure why you would not allow them to be stolen, it would still leave both vandalism and theft scents that can be followed and then extract revenge or simply take it back. If on a vclaim then yes, siege mechanics should apply to it.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Postby APXEOLOG » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:56 pm

Amanda44 wrote:The only bit I disagree with is not being able to unbound it with criminal acts if on a pclaim, I'm not sure why you would not allow them to be stolen, it would still leave both vandalism and theft scents that can be followed and then extract revenge or simply take it back. If on a vclaim then yes, siege mechanics should apply to it.

Because, as you said, you will just need to track it and return back. I feel this is pointless. Every morning you will spend 30 minutes to track knarr and return it back, while every evening your enemy will spend 30 minutes to sail it away. It will have no influence on the game, but burn people's time.

Also, i forgot to mention, Knarr shouldn't be destroyable while bounded. To prevent river-block abuses, range-check may be applied (Knarr cannot be bounded if there is another bounded Knarr in the X range)
W10 Meme Plot | W9 Mantis Garden | W8 Core | W7 Ofir | W6 the City of Dis | W5 Vitterstad | W4 A.D. | W3 Mirniy
jorb wrote:All your characters will be deleted, and I will level every village any one of them were ever members of.
APXEOLOG

Postby Amanda44 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:04 pm

APXEOLOG wrote:
Amanda44 wrote:The only bit I disagree with is not being able to unbound it with criminal acts if on a pclaim, I'm not sure why you would not allow them to be stolen, it would still leave both vandalism and theft scents that can be followed and then extract revenge or simply take it back. If on a vclaim then yes, siege mechanics should apply to it.

Because, as you said, you will just need to track it and return back. I feel this is pointless. Every morning you will spend 30 minutes to track knarr and return it back, while every evening your enemy will spend 30 minutes to sail it away. It will have no influence on the game, but burn people's time.

Also, i forgot to mention, Knarr shouldn't be destroyable while bounded. To prevent river-block abuses, range-check may be applied (Knarr cannot be bounded if there is another bounded Knarr in the X range)

Well, it's not the only option, you could use Nidbanes or in the case of a bigger group extract revenge of another type, there are plenty of criminal acts to choose from. :)
But yeah, maybe you are right and endless back and forth would be pointless, though I'm sure one side would either give in eventually or use another tactic.
Koru wrote:
It is like in Lord of the Flies, nobody controlls what is going on in the hearthlands, those weaker and with conscience are just fucked.
Animal lovers - Show us your pets! - viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44444#p577254
Amanda44

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas