Remove Mirkwoods; not fun game design

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Remove Mirkwoods; not fun game design

Postby NeoBasilisk » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:If we remove mirks then your removing a main source of LP. like i understand your frustration with them i hate them too but i don't want to see them removed cause they are our only chance of standing up to people who claimed icicle nodes at early game or have insane luck at finding forageables. Mirks take alot of the luck out of the game but if you remove them then all of a sudden its no longer who puts in the time to be good at the game it becomes who was lucky enough to be good at the game.

Do you really think that the people who spammed claims all over the map on day 2 aren't also auto-studying mirkwoods 24/7?
NeoBasilisk

Postby Ysh » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:18 pm

NightShad3 wrote:I am fine with mirkwoods, as I am a humble sausagemaker and wine maker who needs them just to get some LP, plus I use default client. However they should add in a system where if you're not doing anything except studying for 5 minutes you get automatically logged off, ruins autostudies for a while

Is not hard to have bot click back and forth to stop afk flagging.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:25 pm

A new mechanic to the curio system could be added to encourage the crafting and usage of higher tier curios.
What I have in mind is that curios should each have a unique "Attention Limit". Yea, lets call it that. The Attention Limit would be a modifier on all curios to encourage usage of better curios(higher tier and higher quality), and encourage using more variety in your curios.

Theres a couple of different approaches with this idea. One could, as a curios attention limit rises it gives smaller yields of LP. The item must not be studied for a period of time to allow the curios attention limit to return to normal. So for example mirkwoods could have an attention limit of 20. Each time one is studied it adds one to attention limit, and decreases the LP gained from the mirkwood by say, 3-4% each time. Each curiosities attention limit can have a different cooldown. Mirkwoods should be an hour, or 45 minutes at the least. Heck even half an hour would help.

My other idea is that the attention limit cause items you've studied too many times to take much higher mental weight(negated by high enough intel). So a mirkwood at max attention limit would require, lets say 50 attention.

A third idea that dawned on me while writing this(pls dont hurt me) is that crafted curios should never break(Excluding Ritual Curios). Crafted curios could be limited solely by the attention limit with one of the other two ideas above. Foraged curiosities would have little to no attention limit, encouraging/buffing foraging some.
This may sound like a terrible idea, but it give it a little thought before you yell at me. You would be allowed to shift focus from creating curios in huge amounts to crafting small amounts of high quality curiosities. Freeing up time for other tasks you would rather be doing. Anyone ever spend 2 hours crafting Tiny Abacus? Instead of spending that time crafting you just have to spend a little time balancing your study out.

With this system in place a lot more curiosities could be added for variety for the attention limit to create a more balanced system.

A curios quality could instead affect the LP gain, attention limit, and experience cost(if its not done away with).

Just going to squeeze one more idea in here. As an items attention limit rises, it instead takes longer to study as your hearthling loses interest in it.
Fierce_Deity

Postby Granger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote: ...

What you suggest is basically the EVE Online learning system, with the prerequisite of having to craft stuff once first.

But: Endless curios are a no-no gamedesign wise, since they're a type of resource drain - which is needed in games to get rid of stuff.

Nevertheless, I still wonder why the update to the curiosity system (multiple uses with declicing yield) was reverted silently, and quite instantly.
I liked the idea of not having to waste energy on a client displaying a toon infront of several open cupboards...
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Previous

Return to Critique & Ideas