Grape and Hop Gain

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Grape and Hop Gain

Postby Onep » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:56 am

At the moment, it is nigh-impossible to quality farm grapes and hops.
If I plant grapes, I can't inspect them, I wait two weeks (I dunno the exact time, basically 5ever) and see that they went down in quality. And then I either replant spare seeds (which takes additional harvest cycles), or just replant and pray to the gods of hate and loathing. And I'll let you guess how often they heed the prayers of their followers.

The only other option is grind wild windsown weeds. Which isn't really farming. So why is farming grapes the worst route to get good grapes?

We need a way to replant these crops or increase their quality with some form of regularity.

Although, since wine press quality does affect the quality of the juice, I suppose the trees which grow faster can be used to pad the garbage quality of my grapes.

Also, beer please. I need to get drunk in both the physical and digital at once.
Last edited by Onep on Sun May 22, 2016 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We still, alas, cannot forestall it-
This dreadful ailment's heavy toll;
The spleen is what the English call it,
We call it simply, Russian soul.”

An idea to consider: Tedium, a Feature.
Do you like Onep? Do you think he'd look good in green? www.Onep4mod.com
Jorb hates me. :\
Onep

Re: Grape and Hop Gain

Postby Karede » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:11 am

Your best bet with grapes is to plant several batches 5 hours apart and hope that at least one will be decent
It is pretty silly currently
Karede

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Signed. Trellises are just evil all around.
DDDsDD999

Postby molenga » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:53 pm

I noticed trellis crops usually take too long to grow and yield seeds, hops, grapes and peppers do at least.

Peas not so much, not that anyone actually uses them tbqh, just grow for shitty variety food, and not even then do i get people from my village to eat them! Same as pumpkins.

I guess this was done as to prevent abusive q gains of these crops, but it made them almost impossible to use, this should be re-balanced a bit.

Maybe create a separete system for trellis crops q gain? Maybe we could make fertilizers and use them on the trellis crops to make them increase in q over time and yield better q seeds?

It is rather boring working trellis crops now, I dont like the fact we are forced to replant generation after generation like we do with other crops, that is just not how grapes work irl mate. Grape trees are supposed to yield better fruit and in larger quantities with age, same as most fruit trees.

I understand that this is a game and the mechanics don´t need to reflect actual reality, but this might be something worth considering since the current system is just annoying for farmers everywhere.
molenga

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:37 pm

Simple fix is making ability to inspect planting quality on trellis, no? It becomes parity on other plants for this case. Complex solution appears is unjustified.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby molenga » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:40 pm

Ysh wrote:Simple fix is making ability to inspect planting quality on trellis, no? It becomes parity on other plants for this case. Complex solution appears is unjustified.

The problem is how long they take to grow and yield seeds mate.
molenga

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:59 pm

molenga wrote:
Ysh wrote:Simple fix is making ability to inspect planting quality on trellis, no? It becomes parity on other plants for this case. Complex solution appears is unjustified.

Pumpkins, trees, and children take time as well but you do not complain? Why is that? Because it is life. ''Good things enter with waiting man.'' This is not a new notion.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby molenga » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Ysh wrote:
molenga wrote:

Pumpkins, trees, and children take time as well but you do not complain? Why is that? Because it is life. ''Good things enter with waiting man.'' This is not a new notion.

The point is that these trellis crops take so much longer to increase in q it feels kind of broken in itself.

Guess some people might not care about waiting 2-3 weeks to harvest your crops, but that is annoying because the rest of the crops gets done in 1-2 days, depending wether you have beehives or not.

This makes the game boring, people will end up quitting the game because of stuff like this.

Even in legacy pumpkins were not grown by most farmers because of how bloody long they take to grow.

Heck, even the trees i planted the same day of the peppers yielded seeds already and the peppers are still not done.

This is not a fun game mechanic at all.
molenga

Postby Ysh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:19 pm

The point is that these trellis crops take so much longer to increase in q it feels kind of broken in itself.

Guess some people might not care about waiting 2-3 weeks to harvest your crops, but that is annoying because the rest of the crops gets done in 1-2 days, depending wether you have beehives or not.

This makes the game boring, people will end up quitting the game because of stuff like this.

Even in legacy pumpkins were not grown by most farmers because of how bloody long they take to grow.

Heck, even the trees i planted the same day of the peppers yielded seeds already and the peppers are still not done.

I think that some people can enjoy long term requirement planning. Maybe it is too long, but is there no room for growth exceeding mere days in time? What is the limit? Will you not complain about the longest thing when it becomes longest because that's its nature? I think trellis crops not needed for progress village.

Ysh

Postby molenga » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:53 pm

Ysh wrote:

I think that some people can enjoy long term requirement planning. Maybe it is too long, but is there no room for growth exceeding mere days in time? What is the limit? Will you not complain about the longest thing when it becomes longest because that's its nature? I think trellis crops not needed for progress village.

I barely understood what you are saying I think...

So you are saying just because the crop is not needed for village progress we should make it take so bloody long to grow that no one will bother with it? Wouldn´t it be the same if they just removed it completly?

I think trellis crops should be handled differently than normal crops, they should be permanent crops that keep giving its products and instead of planting new plants using those the plant would grow in q over time, given you are feeding it with fertilizer of sufficient q.

This would make trellis crops much more enjoyable, since we could actually make permanent gardens that would not need to be replaced constantly for quality grinding.
molenga

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas