Сritique: Hafen and Hearth development

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Сritique: Hafen and Hearth development

Postby azrid » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Majority seems to be against the idea but I feel like it could be a positive change. Maybe I am only saying that because I've been playing PoE lately.
PoE might be a good game to look at when developing a seasonal mode for Haven. New rules to keep seasons fresh and all.
I also have a very nice base I would hate to lose. I even make pixelart but still I wouldn't be against such a change until our dear devs make a server worthy of staying up indefinitely.

When a new world starts its like sailing a ship on a stormy sea but eventually all storms end.
azrid

Postby dageir » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:26 pm

As it is now, the game is only viable for 3-4 months.
dageir

Postby sMartins » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:50 pm

dageir wrote:As it is now, the game is only viable for 3-4 months.

Cause the game has only 1 dimension now....that's the crafting progression.
We need more progression features that add more "game" to the game.
For example we should not be able to explore everything immediately....mountain biome should be cold so you need first the right equipment to stay there for long period of time and all that jazz...giving a progression to exploration too.
I mean, the progression should not be limited only to stats and crafting.
Adding a slow progression to different biomes could add a lot to the game, cause everytime you are able to travel in different biomes you can gather new materials and stuff that will open you different areas, etc...also the "noob" area, let's say green planes, would be the best spot where to settle at least in the beginning of the game, so people can know each others, increasing people interactions, trades, pvp, etc... beetween people of the same "rank" to play togethere.
Also hunting should be fixed, exploits removed to give a right PvE challenge, for solo and group of players.

Just imagine a dynamcic like:
You start in green planes, craft and increase stats untill a point where to increase more you need that drop from a mob that live only in a cold biome, so you craft some meal that give you some cold buff. Travel to there with friends or alone and kill more you can in that period of time, then eventually you will be able to craft an equipment that allow you to travel in the cold biome indefinately....repeat with other harder biomes....just that could add months or years of playtime.
Could be islands you need to reach after you craft a knarr, mountain peek you need to climb after you have the right equipment, vulcanic biomes,very hot...and so on...just a matter to be creative.
And also starting with a small map these things could be added on the run.
Last edited by sMartins on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 am

Exploration as a mechanic is neat and all, but it's not something that will extend the lifespan of the game in the method you describe. That's adding more interaction between biomes and quality/LP grind. Doesn't really delay how long it takes to cap out things and move into endgame grind.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby LadyGoo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:31 am

azrid wrote:Majority seems to be against the idea
Majority of whom? Remaining players? Nabs that just have started? Logically, the majority has quit already or gonna quit soon.
Hafen Helpdesk Skype Conference [Eng]: https://join.skype.com/mxo3yVNbrCK9
Справочная Конференция [Ru]: https://join.skype.com/fnAcsc0srDBN

Trade Conference [Eng-Ru]: https://join.skype.com/gNT6Rs92PTtM

W10 Queen of Dis fiancée of Leanne69 (Lolo)
W9 Hive [Ruler]
W8 Dis [Chieftain]
W7 Ofir [Lawspeaker]
W6 Dis [Chieftain] & Disneyland
W5 Vitterstad [Lawspeaker]
W4 A.D. [Fighter]
W3 Garden of Metallurgists [LS]
LadyGoo

Postby reexar77 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:47 am

LadyGoo wrote:
Majority of whom? Remaining players? Nabs that just have started? Logically, the majority has quit already or gonna quit soon.

The way the world is right now is just the good old get stats , kill stuff , have fun with your village , wait for updates.
The Infamous Alex A.K.A The Lion , The Fallen King , Destroyer of Worlds , Taker of women , Down under criminal , That one guy who forgets to bring his axe , Also lover of kittens and cupcakes , Stalker of mammoths and harvester of moss , Dispatcher of Russians , Rider of Buttstalion , Basement troll , Slayer of honeybuns , Romanian bane of nature
reexar77

Postby sMartins » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 am

Sevenless wrote:Exploration as a mechanic is neat and all, but it's not something that will extend the lifespan of the game in the method you describe. That's adding more interaction between biomes and quality/LP grind. Doesn't really delay how long it takes to cap out things and move into endgame grind.

I mean, a thing like that (progression exploration) could help to keep up the interest and fun to keep people playing the game.....cause you want to see new stuff,new biomes, etc..not just new items and recipes.
Do you think the majority of people who left have reached the end game? I don't think so....
To extend the lifespan or how you called (my english sucks) it's only a matter on how hard the requisite are to go in the next area, and you can keep adding them expanding the map, I think.
sMartins

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 am

That kind of content isn't endgame for sandbox builders. That's interacting with the world, and is limited by how much content the devs can put out (which we know isn't a huge amount, small team and all that). Endgame in sandbox either revolves around long term grind (haven's current world resets and associated wipe mechanic negate this), freeform building/creativity like minecraft (haven's not well optimized for this, and how our pvp works hampers this type of player notably), or on some kind of player to player interaction.

Not to say it's not an interesting idea, I just don't see it solving the problem that really faces haven: Endgame snooze.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby sMartins » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:15 am

Well....it's a pretty common feature for many MMORPG..... entering in higher and higher tiers with portals or stuff like that....and grinding in higher tiers become slower and slower.
I'm not saying to delete the actual crafting feature, just mixing it with some features like this could help.
I think should not be mandatory for everyone, but let's say if you want to obtain all the "special items", you need to go through higher and higher tiers, in our case biomes or areas....to keep up the excitement, cause you are not just discovering a new item, but a whole new area that give you the new item, but with his dangers, ect....you have to deal exploring it, also requiring preparation (crafting equipment ot increasing stats etc...) to be able to deal with it.
In short is like the animals we have now (if exploits were not present), that require you to have more and more stats, more combats moves, better equipment, etc...same thing but with whole biomes, that have their animals, etc... their dangers.
Last edited by sMartins on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
sMartins

Postby Sevenless » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:20 am

LadyGoo wrote:

Alternatively, the people who always quit might be a different population than those who are still playing (ignoring the new players, although I'm sure loftar could figure out some metrics to see what types of populations we have around). Much of the early world players are in it for the rush, and happy with just that. They play haven cyclically, and move to other games for a year or so waiting for next world.

I don't think the solution is as simple as dismissing any feedback from current players.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas