Personal Claim Activation

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Personal Claim Activation

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:21 am

I recognize that the 8 hour inactivity window on new personal claims is a measure to prevent troll claims, I do.

But I'm also on my sixth attempt this week to get a claim to the end of that window. Even if I could realistically babysit it for 8 straight hours, it's not like I, with a new character, will be able to actually prevent someone from destroying the claim. I don't know if there's a perfect solution to this, but the problem the mechanic creates is a massive pain in the ass. Any jackass can waltz through my fence and kill my claim without repercussion or even any real effort. Not being able to achieve meaningful progress in the game because I can't protect my stuff is disheartening.

Just so I'm not complaining without suggesting a solution, I'll toss out an idea which is probably crap and a nightmare to implement: give claims a "seniority" factor, which dictates the proximity to which a new claim can extend its border with respect to the older claim's borders. For example, the current buffer zone between claims is 5 tiles, and this would be the baseline. If a claim is, say, a month old, then a new claim couldn't extend into a buffer zone of 10 tiles around the senior claim. Essentially, a variable buffer zone based on relative claim age.
Go to space
spavaloo

Re: Personal Claim Activation

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:33 am

The problem with being able to insta-drop claims would be that it is possible. Imagine you have a claim and some muppet comes by and drops 4 of them, one on each side of yours, and they would be active instantly - welcome to no longer being able to expand your claim. The cooldown at least forces that someone to come back to activate them, which makes them used to grief for the lulz at least a bit less likely (as it's more work) - and gives you a time window to remove them.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:38 am

Granger wrote:The problem with being able to insta-drop claims would be that it is possible. Imagine you have a claim and some muppet comes by and drops 4 of them, one on each side of yours, and they would be active instantly - welcome to no longer being able to expand your claim. The cooldown at least forces that someone to come back to activate them, which makes them used to grief for the lulzat least a bit less likely (as it's more work) - and gives you a time window to remove them.

On the flip side, as it stands, any muppet can come along and kill a legitimate claim at any point in an eight hour window, with no opposition.
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby waga » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:42 am

there are areas where no one go , I've got a feeling it might be a good location to put a claim :roll:
waga

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 am

Use the usual exploit: two claimed leantos on the sides and park alts in the space that's left to access the pole.

I honestly dislike to give such advice, but it seem the only way to get a sane discussion going about problematic mechanics is to have them exploited on such a wide scale that the devs get annoyed about it...
Granger

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:51 am

Granger wrote:Use the usual exploit: two claimed leantos on the sides and park alts in the space that's left to access the pole.

Another thing any muppet can do, invalidating this whole mechanic.
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:54 am

Having to spawn alts has a cost (in time), that at least discourages the lazy griefers (which is most of them).
Granger

Postby spavaloo » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:56 am

Granger wrote:Having to spawn alts has a cost (in time), that at least discourages the lazy griefers (which is most of them).

Then surely an 8 hour window is grossly unnecessary
Go to space
spavaloo

Postby bluebooksky » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:56 am

if your living close to rivers or lakes linked to rivers that's your main problem. Most griefers are lazy They have things to do too besides giving others grief.
p.s if non of this applies sorry for your troubles.
let us all take a moment remember and honor trisby, the true desident of Tris, who was last seen in all white walking into a river with her beloved sledgehammer in her hands. May she find honor and glory in the next life
bluebooksky

Postby Granger » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:04 am

Another strategy is to drop multiple claims (as they're quite cheap) in different places you deem interesting (in default size, just build the stake), when you name them you can check 8h later by looking at you mentory (deeds to destroyed claims will vanish) which of them have survived and (hopefully) pick a surviving one to expand, refill authority and build your stuff.
Granger

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas