Looking into lowbie death rate.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Looking into lowbie death rate.

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Astarisk wrote:
Ysh wrote:This is very surprising to me. Which game have policy like this?

Quite a few smaller ones whose name wont mean much to people. Even World of warcraft has banned players for combat logging in the past. It's not too uncommon of a rule.

If my power goes out when I do combat, I am banned? This is not sense making to me.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby qoonpooka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:33 pm

Ysh wrote:
qoonpooka wrote:
Ysh wrote:This is very surprising to me. Which game have policy like this?

In EVE Online it's not bannable, but your ship doesn't immediately leave space. You're there for sixty seconds if you don't get shot. If you've been engaged in combat (even PvE) your ship stays there, defenseless, for up to 15 minutes, so even if you hide and THEN Logout, people can hunt you down.

Yes, in most games I think if you are in combat or recent in combat, you will stay logged in for some time. I have never heard of ban for log out though.

The reasoning goes like this: Logging out meaning invulnerability = Logging out means escaping the consequences of in-game events; Escaping the consequences of ingame events due to a fault in the design of the game is an exploit; players using exploits (even here, btw) get banned.
qoonpooka

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:36 pm

qoonpooka wrote:
Ysh wrote:
qoonpooka wrote:In EVE Online it's not bannable, but your ship doesn't immediately leave space. You're there for sixty seconds if you don't get shot. If you've been engaged in combat (even PvE) your ship stays there, defenseless, for up to 15 minutes, so even if you hide and THEN Logout, people can hunt you down.

Yes, in most games I think if you are in combat or recent in combat, you will stay logged in for some time. I have never heard of ban for log out though.

The reasoning goes like this: Logging out meaning invulnerability = Logging out means escaping the consequences of in-game events; Escaping the consequences of ingame events due to a fault in the design of the game is an exploit; players using exploits (even here, btw) get banned.

If game do not want me to log out to become invulnerable, game should be program so I can not log out to become invulnerable. For example, if I am in combat or recent in combat, my character can stay in world for maybe up to 15 minute.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Astarisk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:40 pm

Ysh wrote:If game do not want me to log out to become invulnerable, game should be program so I can not log out to become invulnerable. For example, if I am in combat or recent in combat, my character can stay in world for maybe up to 15 minute.

Yes, We aren't here to argue why other games don't take that into account or the reasoning and logic of other games. The point stands that it is a common enough practice elsewhere that others might think the same of may apply in Hafen.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby qoonpooka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:41 pm

Ysh wrote:If game do not want me to log out to become invulnerable, game should be program so I can not log out to become invulnerable. For example, if I am in combat or recent in combat, my character can stay in world for maybe up to 15 minute.

It's true. But this game is in permanent Alpha, meaning it's unfinished, and programmers make mistakes all the time. Every game has things that it should do, but it doesn't, and exploiting the fact will get you punished. (Unless you've reported it, anyway.)

The point is that players who are new to this game have a lot of reasons to not expect logging off to be an insurmountable defensive maneuver, and so they don't use it to survive.

(Also it's kind of dumb that it works.)
qoonpooka

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 pm

Astarisk wrote:

Yes, We aren't here to argue why other games don't take that into account or the reasoning and logic of other games. The point stands that it is a common enough practice elsewhere that others might think the same of may apply in Hafen.

qoonpooka wrote:

It's true. But this game is in permanent Alpha, meaning it's unfinished, and programmers make mistakes all the time. Every game has things that it should do, but it doesn't, and exploiting the fact will get you punished. (Unless you've reported it, anyway.)

The point is that players who are new to this game have a lot of reasons to not expect logging off to be an insurmountable defensive maneuver, and so they don't use it to survive.

(Also it's kind of dumb that it works.)

I guess, yes. I am surprise to hear this is not common in other game, but other game I play is RuneScape where this log off tactic is commonplace. It is matter of perspective I think. Though there is already message in game telling you can hearth or log off I think.

Ysh

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:48 pm

qoonpooka wrote:
Astarisk wrote:-A good amount of players end up meeting their doom once their hearth-fire gets compromised. It is absolutely unreal that a lot of players never consider logging off once they've been ko'd. I don't blame them as logging off a game is insanely counter-intuitive to surviving and playing a game.

Based on how things work in other games I've played (and that likely appeal to other players of this game), I would assume:
1) That logging out wouldn't save me, I'd just stand there and get cut down again AND
2) If logging out DID work, it would be considered an exploit and get me banned for trying.

It's been a while since I've played EVE, but there were a lot of complaints about this sort of thing when I did last play pretty heavily, and they had some general rules on it I don't really recall correctly. I know there were penalties for doing it repeatedly and various other "intentional" cases. I know a few other games have such penalties, but they aren't that common... more for protecting your teammates from trolls and ragequitters than as a penalty for not facing consequences (MOBAs and such, but also other MMOs like WoW and others with organized PvP activity). In pretty much every PvP MMO I've played with the potential to leave things behind, you try to make a position to get your ass offline as best you can, and then do so at the first moment you can.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Astarisk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Ysh wrote:I guess, yes. I am surprise to hear this is not common in other game, but other game I play is RuneScape where this log off tactic is commonplace. It is matter of perspective I think. Though there is already message in game telling you can hearth or log off I think.

I agree, I'm just saying in my experience so far that a lot of the deaths achieved has been because the opposing party either A) Doesn't hearth (And I've seen this a lot) or B) Doesn't log off. I just wanted to point out how the messages aren't quite enough whether its because of a lack of translation or people just don't read.

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Astarisk wrote:
Ysh wrote:I guess, yes. I am surprise to hear this is not common in other game, but other game I play is RuneScape where this log off tactic is commonplace. It is matter of perspective I think. Though there is already message in game telling you can hearth or log off I think.

I agree, I'm just saying in my experience so far that a lot of the deaths achieved has been because the opposing party either A) Doesn't hearth (And I've seen this a lot) or B) Doesn't log off. I just wanted to point out how the messages aren't quite enough whether its because of a lack of translation or people just don't read.

Maybe instead of left click waking up and moving character after knock out, it should instead open flower menu with option ''Move Here,'' ''Teleport to Hearthfire,'' and ''Log Out.''

Ysh

Postby Astarisk » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Once more I've witnessed several deaths that could have simply been avoided if the dude knew to hearth. Auto-hearthing on ko will save a lot of lives. Also still a lot of boat bashing on deep water so they drown.

Astarisk

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas