Looking into lowbie death rate.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Re: Looking into lowbie death rate.

Postby Jalpha » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:28 pm

IMHO the problem here is new players not understanding game mechanics and not the game mechanics themselves. It's harder than ever to die. This is a permadeath game.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Ysh » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:48 am

Jalpha wrote:IMHO the problem here is new players not understanding game mechanics and not the game mechanics themselves. It's harder than ever to die. This is a permadeath game.

Some men say that game should try to make mechanism easy for new player to understand.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby shubla » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:54 am

Astarisk wrote:Protection from drowning when ko'd.

Not gonna happen. I spammed jorb PM about this last world when I died and he replied something like "WELL WATER I SUPOSED TO BE DANGEROUS!!"
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby vatas » Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:34 am

Have this pop up when player gets KO'd. Unless other option is selected, character (who is not red-handed) will hearth home.
Attachments
KO_popup.png
KO_popup.png (17.87 KiB) Viewed 128 times
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby Pommfritz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:01 pm

good thread I didnt know about the ancestral whorship stuff xd Just stole this thing once where I can donate frogs and that's it too much other stuff to do but you probably saved me some LP in the future op
Pommfritz

Postby Zbyx » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:05 pm

Message is probably not clear/visible enough for people to hearth back or log out, in my opinion only visuals should be changed and nothing else.

If you die from wounds you deserve it and no change should be done here.

Dying in water when boat is destroyed by a player is rather dumb and idk why not yet changed. It is normal if that happens in PVE battle though in my opinion.
The change i would offer is to make the boat unusable once it gets destroyed (oars break or smth) , at this point you can no longer interact with this boat other than to exit it or log out, shortly after the boat just sinks into water/breaks.

qoonpooka wrote:
Based on how things work in other games I've played (and that likely appeal to other players of this game), I would assume:
1) That logging out wouldn't save me, I'd just stand there and get cut down again AND
2) If logging out DID work, it would be considered an exploit and get me banned for trying.

Asking players to pre-rage-quit to survive encounters is just poor design.

Playing MMOs and some MOBAs for more than a decade now and outside of mobas it is really rare for someone to get banned for a log out, like so rare that almost could say that it does not exist.
Most games i played did not even care and those which did usually just had a log out timer where you stay online for some time longer (i see it as a benefit though, if you get random DC and make it back before being thrown out of dungeon for example)
Zbyx

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:36 pm

Zbyx wrote:Message is probably not clear/visible enough for people to hearth ba

You clearly didn't "play" this game enough to crash 50 times in pvp or get some random ass electricity shortage and get logged out for 2 minutes while fighting a troll, or a random internet conenction drop while fighting a bear cause shit happens.
That crap is outside of our control.

Make hearthing back when knocked out and outlawed be on by default.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Zbyx » Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:51 pm

Nightdawg wrote:
Zbyx wrote:Message is probably not clear/visible enough for people to hearth ba

You clearly didn't "play" this game enough to crash 50 times in pvp or get some random ass electricity shortage and get logged out for 2 minutes while fighting a troll, or a random internet conenction drop while fighting a bear cause shit happens.
That crap is outside of our control.

Make hearthing back when knocked out and outlawed be on by default.

Ofc it did happen to me sometimes but you are safe because you are logged out if it happens. I may not always want to go back to my hearth fire if knocked out in such situations (maybe i am far from base foraging for example) , so if there was an option during log-in to go to HF or start at the last location that would be definitely a better approach i think to satisfy both sides.
Zbyx

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 pm

HOW DID YOU START PLAYING IN 2013
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Zbyx » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:27 pm

Nightdawg wrote:Image

HOW DID YOU START PLAYING IN 2013

Never was an outlaw and knocked out since the change where you can log out and hearth back when KO, and before that it didn't matter since people and animals would just kill you on ground if wanted to.

Since it probably happens not to many people in general , i don't really care how this particular point gets solved. You can always wait until your outlaw expires just like wounds to heal before you go hunt in PVE , in PVP of course this won't really work but maybe it should be like that if you make a choice to be a criminal.

Also , Idk what is wrong with you man to try to find absolutely any reason to offend me in some way , especially since i don't really do the same and even doing the opposite - trying to keep discussion respectful and civilized as much as possible. Maybe your life is not going well and everything makes you annoyed/stressed/angry real fast so my wish to you is for it to get better.
Zbyx

PreviousNext

Return to Critique & Ideas