Looking into lowbie death rate.

Thoughts on the further development of Haven & Hearth? Feel free to opine!

Looking into lowbie death rate.

Postby Astarisk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:00 pm

In the last day I've witnessed over 30 KO's / Killings (The majority of it ending up in death - Without the use of Murderous Rage). I feel the harshness of death should be looked into so I have compiled a small list of common mistakes, along with issues I've noticed.

Ancestral Worship - Lamenting the Departed (Yes, I even had to look up what this is called):
The vast majority of lowbie players I come across do not even know that this exists. The only mention of recoverable LP is in the tool tip for a grave cairn. I'm sure no one reads these tooltips. (Assuming they can read English, but translation is another matter entirely and Romovs does a wonderful job at trying to help with it). The average lowbie death results in them losing their bodies. To them death results in the bare minimum of stat recovery.

Realms:
Let's be real, once realms become a thing not even the high end player uses Lamenting the Departed. Realm burial is so strong and cheap that we always just use it. Personally I've never died in a situation that I was not able to recover my body. I don't know very many people that have even used Lamenting the Departed. It is definitely less than one hands worth for sure.

Ways they die:
-Forgetting to hearth once KO'd. Yes this happens.... A lot even. So many needless deaths can be avoided if the player just hearths once ko'd or just flat out log off, instead what I've seen is they get right back up and keep trying to run. I'm not sure if it is just panic setting in or maybe they are just unable to translate the message that tells them they are free to log off or hearth.

-Bashing their boat in water. A lot of players don't know to avoid deep water when being chased, so they wind up being ko'd and having their transportation vessel immediately destroyed resulting in death. Enough said.

-They also just generally end up dying from having low HHP while doing their daily tasks (No real solution to this aside from easing up on wounds and healing.)

-A good amount of players end up meeting their doom once their hearth-fire gets compromised. It is absolutely unreal that a lot of players never consider logging off once they've been ko'd. I don't blame them as logging off a game is insanely counter-intuitive to surviving and playing a game.

Some minor suggestions:
Auto-Hearth when ko'd.
Protection from drowning when ko'd.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Re: Looking into lowbie death rate.

Postby DDDsDD999 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Astarisk wrote:Let's be real, once realms become a thing not even the high end player uses Lamenting the Departed. Realm burial is so strong and cheap that we always just use it. Personally I've never died in a situation that I was not able to recover my body. I don't know very many people that have even used Lamenting the Departed. It is definitely less than one hands worth for sure.

It got changed to recover an additional 15% over the realm burial amount tho.

Astarisk wrote:-They also just generally end up dying from having low HHP while doing their daily tasks (No real solution to this aside from easing up on wounds and healing.)

This is the future jorb wanted.
DDDsDD999

Postby qoonpooka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:08 pm

Astarisk wrote:-A good amount of players end up meeting their doom once their hearth-fire gets compromised. It is absolutely unreal that a lot of players never consider logging off once they've been ko'd. I don't blame them as logging off a game is insanely counter-intuitive to surviving and playing a game.

Based on how things work in other games I've played (and that likely appeal to other players of this game), I would assume:
1) That logging out wouldn't save me, I'd just stand there and get cut down again AND
2) If logging out DID work, it would be considered an exploit and get me banned for trying.

Asking players to pre-rage-quit to survive encounters is just poor design.
qoonpooka

Postby Astarisk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
Astarisk wrote:Let's be real, once realms become a thing not even the high end player uses Lamenting the Departed. Realm burial is so strong and cheap that we always just use it. Personally I've never died in a situation that I was not able to recover my body. I don't know very many people that have even used Lamenting the Departed. It is definitely less than one hands worth for sure.

It got changed to recover an additional 15% over the realm burial amount tho.

Astarisk wrote:-They also just generally end up dying from having low HHP while doing their daily tasks (No real solution to this aside from easing up on wounds and healing.)

This is the future jorb wanted.

Ah yeah you're right about that bit. I forgot about that change. Moot point then on my behalf. Though I still stand by the statement that so many people are unaware of its existence.

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:15 pm

qoonpooka wrote:
Astarisk wrote:-A good amount of players end up meeting their doom once their hearth-fire gets compromised. It is absolutely unreal that a lot of players never consider logging off once they've been ko'd. I don't blame them as logging off a game is insanely counter-intuitive to surviving and playing a game.

Based on how things work in other games I've played (and that likely appeal to other players of this game), I would assume:
1) That logging out wouldn't save me, I'd just stand there and get cut down again AND
2) If logging out DID work, it would be considered an exploit and get me banned for trying.

Is it not well known player is invulnerable offline?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby Astarisk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:18 pm

Ysh wrote:
qoonpooka wrote:

I can agree with his second point. I've played several games where logging to avoid death was a bannable offense. Not everyone might be fully aware how hands off Jorb and Loftar tend to be.

Astarisk

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:24 pm

Astarisk wrote:
Ysh wrote:
qoonpooka wrote:Based on how things work in other games I've played (and that likely appeal to other players of this game), I would assume:

I can agree with his second point. I've played several games where logging to avoid death was a bannable offense. Not everyone might be fully aware how hands off Jorb and Loftar tend to be.

This is very surprising to me. Which game have policy like this?
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby qoonpooka » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:28 pm

Ysh wrote:This is very surprising to me. Which game have policy like this?

In EVE Online it's not bannable, but your ship doesn't immediately leave space. You're there for sixty seconds if you don't get shot. If you've been engaged in combat (even PvE) your ship stays there, defenseless, for up to 15 minutes, so even if you hide and THEN Logout, people can hunt you down.
qoonpooka

Postby Astarisk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Quite a few smaller ones whose name wont mean much to people. Even World of warcraft has banned players for combat logging in the past. It's not too uncommon of a rule.
Last edited by Astarisk on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astarisk

Postby Ysh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:31 pm

qoonpooka wrote:

In EVE Online it's not bannable, but your ship doesn't immediately leave space. You're there for sixty seconds if you don't get shot. If you've been engaged in combat (even PvE) your ship stays there, defenseless, for up to 15 minutes, so even if you hide and THEN Logout, people can hunt you down.

Yes, in most games I think if you are in combat or recent in combat, you will stay logged in for some time. I have never heard of ban for log out though.

Ysh

Next

Return to Critique & Ideas